advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

I think it’s just waning interest from older generations who don’t respond well to the current ‘style’ of the whole circus. People like me who’ve followed it closely for decades are just turning our backs on it in droves.
I don’t know of anyone who has signed up to a F1 tv service/internet service in the last few years, and I know only one guy to have been to a race.

Me? I look at the results at some point during the day, and that’s it. I wouldn’t be surprised if I forget to do that at some point this year.

A close friend is a real petrol head. Bikes and cars. Has raced both, has lived and breathed racing since he was a toddler. Taught to race by Peter Gethin. He fell asleep during a live race for the first time last month. If he’s losing interest, there’s a problem.

Neither of my nephews are at all interested. They’re 18 and 13. None of their mates are interested.
Good point. I have frequently commented in the past that what was once an enthusiasts-only sport has become a major travelling circus, and circuses have somehow to deliver entertainment to a new public totally uninterested in the technicalities of the sport.

With me, a fascination for the machinery still exists, so I keep watching - but no longer get up to watch, if it's in a remote time zone! What is looking much more interesting is the WEC, with so many major manufacturers now involved. Some wonderful machinery at Imola:

Good point. I have frequently commented in the past that what was once an enthusiasts-only sport has become a major travelling circus, and circuses have somehow to deliver entertainment to a new public totally uninterested in the technicalities of the sport.

With me, a fascination for the machinery still exists, so I keep watching - but no longer get up to watch, if it's in a remote time zone! What is looking much more interesting is the WEC, with so many major manufacturers now involved. Some wonderful machinery at Imola:

I’d love to spend the day in the pit lane at a WEC meeting, camera in hand, just wandering to wherever my nose leads me.

Such a shame they sound weird, and not in a great way.

I’d be disappointed if I expected to hear race engines:

Just a farting turbo :(

Those three Ferraris on the front row are looking good. Good to see Ferrari back again at the top rank of sports car racing.

Great fun at Imola - it has rained and the GT3 cars are overtaking the hypercars!
If rain makes it more exciting, I can’t wait to see them at Silverst…. Oh.

Still, at least I can watch World Rally Cars this November in the… Oh, not them either.

F1: how much is a ticket for admission and a seat now? I bet the cheapest on race day would be about £500. And we don’t have testing in this country anymore.

I’m seeing a trend here.

Last time I went to Silverstone for the GP was 1999. Coulthard won and Schumacher had a brake failure, crashed and broke his leg. All we saw of the crash was the big cloud of dust, off in the distance. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/formula_1/391454.stm I can't really remember how much the entrance fee was, but somewhere around £100 I should think.
£159, I still have my ticket somewhere, went to Austria that year too… £67 and you could see half the track. Never liked Silverstone as a spectator, poor view and stupidly expensive.

£159, I still have my ticket somewhere, went to Austria that year too… £67 and you could see half the track. Never liked Silverstone as a spectator, poor view and stupidly expensive.
£18 in 1987. And I was stood with my mum and two mates at the end of the Hangar Straight. One of the greatest F1 moments. £18 was fine. Didn’t even need to book, just turn up. Thats £63 in today’s money.

Some truly awesome machinery here:

I well remember John Surtees winning the first trophy in a Lola T70, followed by a long period of McLaren domination.

I'm pretty sure it will work out that Max & Newey will magically wind up with/on the same team.

advertisement

Back