advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
It is the end of an era with Tony dropping out as resident F1 thread starter but I hope he will still feel able to contribute occasionally.

I have taken it upon myself to kick off the 2024 F1 season thread with some updates on the 2024 season:

First season with exactly the same driver line up as the previous year with the confirmation of Logan Sergeant at Williams
Sadly the sprint races are confirmed again with 6 venues
Formula 1 has announced the calendar for the 2024 FIA Formula One World Championship, approved by the World Motor Sport Council. The calendar features 24 races and begins in Bahrain on March 2 and finishes in Abu Dhabi on December 8
Summary of the upcoming season details

I am determined to enjoy it and not be too grumpy with the sprint races.

Unfortunately, end-year gap of everybody vs Bulls seemed a bit too much... Merc might be not that stupid to keep that dog 3rd year in a row though, but who knows

Week two without F1 (image shamelessly lifted from elsewhere):
IMG-5760.jpg

I am determined to enjoy it and not be too grumpy with the sprint races.

As much as I dislike the whole idea of the Sprint races, I'll grudgingly admit that I've enjoyed the events. The grids are often scrambled, and the results aren't always a foregone conclusion.

I'd still vote to eliminate them.

As much as I dislike the whole idea of the Sprint races, I'll grudgingly admit that I've enjoyed the events. The grids are often scrambled, and the results aren't always a foregone conclusion.

I'd still vote to eliminate them.

Sprints omit my 2'nd most detested thing in F1. Pit stops. The drivers thus has to do it on the track.

But shouldn't the sprint quali actually be what it's called, a shoot out? In my world a shoot out is just one lap quali for each driver. And then perform it in the current points standing order, points leader first. This should give the guys towards the end a bit grippier track.

Sprints omit my 2'nd most detested thing in F1. Pit stops. The drivers thus has to do it on the track.

True, but they also remove the most useful thing in F1, practise sessions. Parc fermé rules (currently) mean that the teams have just 1 hour to setup the car. I want the teams to be able to maximise their car for the weekend so they can compete in the main race. 1 hour does not allow that.

True, but they also remove the most useful thing in F1, practise sessions. Parc fermé rules (currently) mean that the teams have just 1 hour to setup the car. I want the teams to be able to maximise their car for the weekend so they can compete in the main race. 1 hour does not allow that.

In our fantasy world we can move the rules around as we wish. I'm with you.

Happened across this 2 part documentary on YT and initially was thinking it would just be another YT special with lots of ill informed comment and poor taste footage etc. but it's actually a very well put together documentary and well worth a watch.

PS Part 2 is not for the feint hearted in places.

Happened across this 2 part documentary on YT and initially was thinking it would just be another YT special with lots of ill informed comment and poor taste footage etc. but it's actually a very well put together documentary and well worth a watch.

PS Part 2 is not for the feint hearted in places.
I'm intensly dislike crash compliation videos. It doesn't matter if no one was even slightly hurt in them, I just think it focuses on the wrong aspect of motorsport and I find them somewhat morally dubious (certainly I have concerns about the mental health of people who enjoy them).

NB: That's a general statement not a comment on your post or the video's you posted specifically. Given you said they are actually informative documentaries. I still strongly question their obvious click bait titles though.

I'm intensly dislike crash compliation videos. It doesn't matter if no one was even slightly hurt in them, I just think it focuses on the wrong aspect of motorsport and I find them somewhat morally dubious (certainly I have concerns about the mental health of people who enjoy them).

NB: That's a general statement not a comment on your post or the video's you posted specifically. Given you said they are actually informative documentaries. I still strongly question their obvious click bait titles though.
Well don't watch them then! However for others who would like to undertand a little more about how we got to where we are in terms of safety etc. and how even then mistakes are still made and we must keep learning they are well worth a watch.

Well don't watch them then! However for others who would like to undertand a little more about how we got to where we are in terms of safety etc. and how even then mistakes are still made and we must keep learning they are well worth a watch.
If lessons have been learned by those who can make a difference, watching historic (or even recent) crash, injury, death videos is prurient behaviour.

No. Let F1 remain F1, there are more than enough gimmicks already without adding anymore.

If you like that style of racing then watch BTCC.
Actually I don't much like BTCC, not in to contact sports.

It was rhetorical question asked in jest. I can't imagine much worse a spectacle in F1.

advertisement

Back