advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Great to see Piastri and Norris in 2 and 3 but Verstappen was just amazing, faster and faster every lap. Nearly a second ahead of his teammate again.

But what were Mercedes thinking with George?

This team-position aspect, & DRS especially making a mockery of two cars racing, are an insult to a motorsport fan's intelligence. I can barely get through 5mins F1 highlights anymore.

The cars are becoming aesthetically homogenised too, next season you won't distinguish one from the next apart from the paint jobs. FormulaE cars all look the same, F1 is following suit.

I was watching a doco last evening of late 80's-90's with three different engine types V10/V8/V12 all within a race. Different thinking, approaches, big & obvious difference in designs.. we're SO far from that now & getting further away. Soon 1 chassis mfr will be making all the chassis for the teams. It lookslike one mfr is doing exactly this on the spoilers already team to team; I maybe wrong, but they all look -identical- to me.

Capt

The DRS thing (my pet hate in current F1), and some other measures to aid 'excitement', is like if football would get rid of the off side rule.

RBR back to normal performance in qualifying, at least with VER driving. VER gained 0.7 sec on PER in the s bends (turn 2 to 6) after the first right hander and then another couple of tenths over the rest of the lap. Against NOR and PIA he gained a little through each corner, lost a little on the long straights to PIA and NOR, but was slightly faster by the end of the long straights.

So no indication of any change in performance due to the 2 Technical Directives introduced for Singapore (flexi aero restrictions and sprung Titanium skid plates restrictions).

In qualifying a few things happened that resulted in RBR being slower than usual.

Firstly, very little time was spent above 280 kph, which is where the low drag of the RBR has such a dramatic effect. So at the moment it is not clear whether the flexi aero changes did or did not affect RBR.

Secondly, the RBR rear tyres were down on temperature (no data to prove this just knowledge of how tyre temp affects performance) for most of the lap and only got to the point in the last 2 corners of not losing time to their main competitors.

In the race VER was faster than the vast majority of the field, but still slower than Lewis and RUS, who were on newer medium tyres. Most of the field were on much older tyres and so were and would in any case be slower. I need to equivalence VER’s stint to the end with RUS’s stint, taking out the fuel effect and balancing tyre age.

I think that Lewis was right that it would be faster as a two stop race, complicated by needing to maintain track position vs being able to overtake. SAI demonstrated very well that it could be a one stop, but he might not have been able to keep Lewis behind him, had he needed to do that.

Funny how you write Lewis instead of HAM. Any particular reason?

The DRS thing (my pet hate in current F1), and some other measures to aid 'excitement', is like if football would get rid of the off side rule.

I mean surely it's equally as infuriating for the drivers as fans, equally as intellectually-demeaning, so why then we never hear them moan about it-? there must be an FIA injunction on them to even comment on this 'scalextrix level intelligent' idea is my opinion.

Get rid of the offside rule- well that would be mayhem, but it could actually make me start watching Prem league again! (have they stopped play acting falling over, & abusing the refs yet? I'll only currently watch again when that box is ticked).

This interesting video popped up on YouTube. It describes Honda's first venture into F1 in the 1960s, with a 1.5L V12 that was based substantially on their motorcycle racing engines. Amazingly, it was mounted transversely. It won one race, 1965 Mexican GP, with Richie Ginther at the wheel:

advertisement

Back