advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Well... Some of the 1966 GP drivers had experiences with wings from driving in the Can Am series and watching Chaparral 2E's with their huge adjustable wing on top. Jim Hall is a bit vague about specific times, but from pics the 2C had a rear wing as early as 1965. And Chaparral wasn't first in putting a wing on a car to increase cornering speeds. The world was already changing...

Well... Some of the 1966 GP drivers had experiences with wings from driving in the Can Am series and watching Chaparral 2E's with their huge adjustable wing on top. Jim Hall is a bit vague about specific times, but from pics the 2C had a rear wing as early as 1965. And Chaparral wasn't first in putting a wing on a car to increase cornering speeds. The world was already changing...
Well, taking my comment literally, aircraft had been using wings since the 1800s, and as for birds… ;)

11 years ago today, Perez signed for McLaren after Hamilton had announced he was leaving for Mercedes. Everyone was saying that Hamilton had made a big mistake, except those that saw what was happening at Mercedes, who they were recruiting. Perez might well have thought that Hamilton’s mistake was gifting him a crack at the driver’s title.

Live n learn!

11 years ago today, Perez signed for McLaren after Hamilton had announced he was leaving for Mercedes. Everyone was saying that Hamilton had made a big mistake, except those that saw what was happening at Mercedes, who they were recruiting. Perez might well have thought that Hamilton’s mistake was gifting him a crack at the driver’s title.

Live n learn!

What is particularly amusing now is it's hard to find anyone who will admit to saying it was a bad idea. If you say to people how just about everyone slagged him off they deny it and say they don't really remember anyone saying that. It's BS as I remember clearly some of the really nasty stuff posted on good old social media about what a ******* **** he was to leave proven race winners and how he'd only gone for he money blah blah blah. The football fan mentality had already invaded F1 by then and it showed itself in that whole debacle.

Well, taking my comment literally, aircraft had been using wings since the 1800s, and as for birds… ;)
Archaeopteryx-skeleton-cast-fossil-limestone-matrix.jpg

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that wing...

What is particularly amusing now is it's hard to find anyone who will admit to saying it was a bad idea. If you say to people how just about everyone slagged him off they deny it and say they don't really remember anyone saying that. It's BS as I remember clearly some of the really nasty stuff posted on good old social media about what a ******* **** he was to leave proven race winners and how he'd only gone for he money blah blah blah. The football fan mentality had already invaded F1 by then and it showed itself in that whole debacle.

Very true. The F1 forums I lurked back then have some deeply embarrassing posts from that time. The HAM hatred was well underway with him "lucking in" to his 1st WDC, going to be a 1 hit wonder, only there because he was black and an FIA plant. It was extraordinary vitriol at the time.

Just had a quick search and found this link to a wing on a Porsche 550 in 1956 and also a post referring to

Im 1928 Fritz Von Opel used 2 inverted wings in the Opel RAK2, which was powered by rocket engines, built by Eugen Sander. Each wing was 1,25 m wide. And the car reached 192 Km/h.

This was taken from a Motor Sport History book.

The Andretti/Cadillac application to join the circus has been approved. Just the commercial side to be approved. That needs the team to show that they’ll be bringing something of value to the big top.

The Andretti/Cadillac application to join the circus has been approved. Just the commercial side to be approved. That needs the team to show that they’ll be bringing something of value to the big top.

Very unlikely to be approved from all I have read

advertisement

Back