advertisement

Tell me about NS1000'S.

I've always loved NS1000s but it is my personal opinion that they sound best when driven by Yamaha amplifiers. As the OP already has a C4/M4, frankly, it would be daft not to buy a pair! :D

I've always loved NS1000s but it is my personal opinion that they sound best when driven by Yamaha amplifiers. As the OP already has a C4/M4, frankly, it would be daft not to buy a pair! :D

When you put it like that it looks like I've no option :D

Next problem is finding a nice pair and deciding wether to sell my Tannoys or my Sonus Fabers , the missus will go nuts if I end up with three pairs of speakers ! .

NS1000 can be hard on top, sound best with a valve amp (takes away some of the high hardness), very revealing can emphasize the bad in a bad recording, they were designed as a monitor after all, can sound amazing too, being sealed box don't have the headbanging bass of some speakers, but because of the sealed box roll off, there is some bass energy lower than equivalent ported box. A great speaker.
Neil

NS1000 are transparent to what you play them with. If your source of amps are harsh they'll sound harsh, if you're all valved up they'll sound softer and warmer. Generalisations of them sounding like X with Y needs to take into account the whole system.

Well if I get a pair I can pair them with either valve or solid state amps. I've got a Yamaha C4/M4 combo and a Luxman SQ38 signature.

I'm swapping speakers in and out of my system as I type trying to decide which ones are heading for the classifieds.

I've never owned a pair, but they're on the wish list. I've twice heard them sound absolutely outstanding - at Scalford an active pair with pro amps, and more recently at Oldius's bake off, where most of the afternoon was spent listening to a mint, standard pair driven by a Nak pre and power - such great all round performance was left wondering why everyone doesn't go for them. They show you what's upstream with unvarnished candour - if they sounded boring with Audiolab, well....

Next problem is finding a nice pair and deciding wether to sell my Tannoys or my Sonus Fabers , the missus will go nuts if I end up with three pairs of speakers ! .
Which SF and Tannoy are you deliberating?

I'd keep the Amator 2 and lose the Chatsworth. Actually, if I was closer to you, I'd offer to buy the SF.

The ones I heard in a domestic environment were anything but tame and polite, they were vivid and dynamic, perhaps a bit too much so. I suspect that exchanging some old crossover components would have tamed them.

Was the Audiolab an MDAC? Then as YNWOAN says... bland in = bland out.

Why the negative comments on Audiolab?

With the right speakers ( BC1s in my case ) an
Audiolab 8000a is the perfect match.

I never understand why people say that a speaker sounds better driven by a valve amp. I have heard some really poor valve amps, just as there are poor SS amps.

Yamaha NS1000M are just exceptionally revealing so they respond to excellence higher in the chain. Mine have been fully recapped though I had no idea whether they needed doing or not. I just figured that they are nearly 40 years of age so a bit of TLC is a good thing.

Thanks for your kind words Niall.

Why the negative comments on Audiolab?

With the right speakers ( BC1s in my case ) an
Audiolab 8000a is the perfect match.

Because I thought he was using an MDAC and when I had one on home dem I thought it was very bland sounding.
I have no opinion on Audiolab amps.

Well if I get a pair I can pair them with either valve or solid state amps. I've got a Yamaha C4/M4 combo and a Luxman SQ38 signature.

I'm swapping speakers in and out of my system as I type trying to decide which ones are heading for the classifieds.

My god please buy a pair... you have perfect amps for them. The Yamaha C&M4 combo will obviously sound great and Luxman used pairs of NS1000 to voice their equipment so I've heard.. Not sure if true of not, but there are so many people saying that Luxman Amos work well with them that it's probably the case. You'll have the best of both worlds and your speaker purchasing will then cease.

It's funny re Audiolab. The original early 8000A I have sounds glorious with my NS1000XW, a later 8200ap and 8200p was booooring in comparison!!

heard some recently playing with some monster valve amps and my modwright pre as front end . not my cup of tea really . bit clinical for me but some like that

Back from the dead thread.

It looks like I've finally snagged a pair of NS1000'S, I won't have them for another week but I'm dying to hear them with my Yamaha amps.

I'm going to knock up some rough and ready stands to get me going, how tall should the stands be?.

approx 300mm,when your flush treat yourself to a pair of these stands :)
IMG_1654_1.jpg

Only if you over-drive them. The woofer has a fabric surround and I have not heard they need replacement.
I have had a few NS 1000's with woofer issues. What happens in certain environments is corrosion of the pole pieces, which eventually causes the pole to seaparte from the ferrite, locking up the coil. Symptom is a driver that won't move but measures normally. Can be fixed, fortunately.

heard some recently playing with some monster valve amps and my modwright pre as front end . not my cup of tea really . bit clinical for me but some like that
the pair i heard was bright as well
i think at this point one need to restaure a pair to really hear what they can do
stock i think they might not be good enough for everyone

advertisement

Back