advertisement

Technics announce new SL-1200GR2 & SL-1210GR2 Turntable

What are the real-world benefits of a direct drive motor having enough torque to come up to playing speed virtually instantaneously and file your nails to boot? Serious question as I'm almost clueless about turntables.
With the Technics, I have taken to cueing with the deck stopped. I then manually turn the platter a fraction to let the stylus become seated in the groove, then run the deck. It's a total paradigm shift as you could not possibly do this with (say) a Linn. But it's a perfect way to avoid problems when cueing and mitigates any (perceived by some) inadequacies of the cueing apparatus. Elegant and simple.

Thanks, agreed on speed stability being the number one requirement of a turntable design, however the 1200G I had in my system for a couple of weeks sounded too precise, if that makes sense, rather uptight about the way it went about its business, so that I couldn't really relax into the music.

I shall have to listen to the GR2 when it's released next month, but the Technics rep in the video was clearly claiming that the design changes are genuinely innovative; in that case, you'd think it would make more sense for them to be introduced in the top model(s) and trickled down, rather than trickled up.

So I am sceptical.
If Technics isn't for you, it's not for you. I like precise, which is what I consider high-fidelity to be all about. YMMV. But if you don't like the G (and the forum owner has a similar view) you probably won't like the GR2.

Thanks, agreed on speed stability being the number one requirement of a turntable design, however the 1200G I had in my system for a couple of weeks sounded too precise, if that makes sense, rather uptight about the way it went about its business, so that I couldn't really relax into the music.

I shall have to listen to the GR2 when it's released next month, but the Technics rep in the video was clearly claiming that the design changes are genuinely innovative; in that case, you'd think it would make more sense for them to be introduced in the top model(s) and trickled down, rather than trickled up.

So I am sceptical.
I pretty certain the technology is trickle down from the Reference turntable. Interesting that they brought it to the GR line first instead of the G. The middle class get screwed again!

I pretty certain the technology is trickle down from the Reference turntable. Interesting that they brought it to the GR line first instead of the G. The middle class get screwed again!
The power supply is trickle down from the 1000R, the motor drive is new tech I believe. If/when the G2 arrives I wouldn't be surprised if it was a good chink more that the G.

https://the-ear.net/news/technics-sl-1200gr2-sl1210gr-go-digital/

The general power supply has also seen a notable upgrade in this latest generation model. The new Multi-stage Silent Power Supply of the SL-1200GR2 and SL-1210GR2 combines a low-noise, high-speed power supply working at over 100kHz with a noise cancelling circuit inherited from the SL-1000R turntable. And remaining noise is cancelled by injecting the reversed-phase current of the actual noise, enabling exceptional signal-to-noise ratio and overall signal performance.​

It's my understanding that the speed control update is derived from Technics' digital amp technology.

Seems unlikely. The magnesium arm alone should be a significant advantage for the G, and the build is more solid otherwise. I expect we'll find out as the reviews come in, and even more usefully, as PFMers buy them and report back.

GR you can change the arm
375177575_811245031005256_6436530800125746690_n.jpg

GR you can change the arm
375177575_811245031005256_6436530800125746690_n.jpg

Of course, but I was just thinking about the decks as-is, out of the box. Nice visual match with the '309! I'll be putting my Linn geometry Blackbird on my 'GR, once I've saved up enough for an Audio Ammonite arm board!

the decks as-is, out of the box

Not many wish to mess with DIY replace tonearm,
Technics could easily offer their 1200GR/G turntable without tonearm, but with various armboard options and maybe separate PSU at similar prices as the standard decks.

Unfortunately I don't see this ever happen.

How many G/GR owners have tried the Stereophile torque tweak? Basically switching the torque to manual and turning it down a bit. I did it and liked it, but it would be interesting to get the thoughts of more users. It only takes a few seconds to make the change.

I suppose the reason why this would make a difference is that the high torque motor is constantly trying to make small speed adjustments. By turning the torque down the effect of such speed corrections is smoothed somewhat.

Last edited:
Did you notice much of a change with that in place?

Yes, a clear uplift in resolution and particularly tonal colour and bass depth. I don't sell anything like this, but I use one myself with a GR and the deck sounds very dull and mechanical with its stock PSU.

How many G/GR owners have tried the Stereophile torque tweak? Basically switching the torque to manual and turning it down a it. I did it and liked it, but it would be interesting to get the thoughts of more users. It only takes a few seconds to make the change.

I suppose the reason why this would make a difference is that the high torque motor is constantly trying to make small speed adjustments. By turning the torque down the effect of such speed corrections is smoothed somewhat.

I do prefer the sound of my GR with torque set to 'low' - it just sounds more cultured, natural and unforced compared to higher torque settings. Interestingly, the GR motor has a self-calibration feature and running that seemed (to my ears at least) to improve its sound quality, delivering a richer and more expressive sound character. For a free tweak, it's safe and worth a go.

advertisement

Back