advertisement

Technics announce new SL-1200GR2 & SL-1210GR2 Turntable

Not pulling any punches there. Be interesting to see some actual measurements plus comparisons from actual users.

I continue to find it odd that Technics don't just supply a 6mm mat with these decks- the arm height adjustment range is obviously a legacy from the older decks that used thicker mats. Still, there you go...
Yes, that kind of sucks as there are quite a few great cartridges in the 15mm height range that would work great with no tonearm spacer nonsense if they supplied a thicker mat.

Yes, that kind of sucks as there are quite a few great cartridges in the 15mm height range that would work great with no tonearm spacer nonsense if they supplied a thicker mat.
The current mat is 3mm. The original mat is 6mm and comes up on eBay, varies from £20-50, I dislike shimming so I bought one. Part number is Technics RGS0010A.

That video is possibly the most cringe-making hi-fi sales pitch on YouTube (and I've sat through quite a few).

If the hyperbole actually matches the reality of a sound with a more natural musical flow than that provided by the £4000 1200G that I auditioned, then I will be the first in the queue to buy the 1200GR2 (but not from Hi-Fi Corner).

I’m not sure if the chap in the video is a representative of Technics or not but he is certainly stressing that the GR2 upgrade is significant and demonstrable. If that’s the case then I can’t imagine the same upgrade won’t be coming down the pike for a new G2. Trickling down the power supply and motor controller technology from the Reference Class turntable to the Grand Class line is great for someone in the market for these new updated models.

I just wonder if they pissed off or disappointed folks who forked out for the gen 1 models, many of whom jumped to Technics to get off the upgrade bandwagon. Will these gen 2 upgrades spawn a whole new group of folks who prefer the pre-gen 2 sound?

Last edited:
Guess there will be a new G2 as well.

Potential G customers will likely put purchase on hold - meaning Technics have to follow suit.

Precisely, and given that I didn't like the G I'd be amazed if the GR2 lives up to the hype and outperforms it (which it would have to for me to buy it).

No matter how sophisticated these software speed control algorithms become, I'd still put money on something like a PTP Solid Lenco idler drive deck sounding more lifelike.

Precisely, and given that I didn't like the G I'd be amazed if the GR2 lives up to the hype and outperforms it (which it would have to for me to buy it).
I'd still put money on something like a PTP Solid Lenco idler drive deck sounding more lifelike.
My GR is much better than my PTP Lenco (or my 301 for that matter).

Wow, surprised to hear that - please could you elucidate?
Indeed. I love/loved the drive and energy of my idlers, but the GR has all that in spades plus perfect speed stability which is an absolute must for me. Additionally the noise floor is much lower with zero rumble. I feel that listening to the Technics gets me closer to the master tape and the ideal of a transparent rendition of the recording.

As for tuneful: as a musician I know what the word means in the context of a piece of music but have absolutely no comprehension of what it means in relation to an item of reproducing audio equipment.

At some point in the next couple of years I’d like to get an end-game turntable. Well, end game for me. I ain’t made of money.

Thanks to Nic and Big T (for Tabs, not Technics though he should consider a user name change), the Technics SL-1200G is now on my short list. The other contenders are a Rega Planar 10 and getting my Garrard 301 properly restored.

Joe

What are the real-world benefits of a direct drive motor having enough torque to come up to playing speed virtually instantaneously and file your nails to boot? Serious question as I'm almost clueless about turntables.

Indeed. I love/loved the drive and energy of my idlers, but the GR has all that in spades plus perfect speed stability which is an absolute must for me.

Thanks, agreed on speed stability being the number one requirement of a turntable design, however the 1200G I had in my system for a couple of weeks sounded too precise, if that makes sense, rather uptight about the way it went about its business, so that I couldn't really relax into the music.

I shall have to listen to the GR2 when it's released next month, but the Technics rep in the video was clearly claiming that the design changes are genuinely innovative; in that case, you'd think it would make more sense for them to be introduced in the top model(s) and trickled down, rather than trickled up.

So I am sceptical.

advertisement

Back