advertisement

Tarting up a photo from a digi compact

IMG-1102.jpg

Just used tools in Ipad Pro…

Wow, these are really impressive!
Here's my take:
I really like Martin's cropping and composition, and the lighting works. Removing that aerial by the dome is a win too.
Cosimass's yellow sun is very dramatic but a bit too "Hollywood Disaster Movie Sky" for me. A lesser version might work very well. One thing that this does reveal is something that I had never noticed before, which is the guy feeding the parking mater right in the middle of the photo, and I really like this.
The B&W is nice, but I think that the colours brought out on the wet buildings where the light punches through the hole in the clouds makes the original, so only colour works. Sepia is fun but the shiny blue Citroen makes that jar. The cinematic take is entertaining, it looks as if Matthew Bourne should appear in the crowd before slipping a phone into someone's pocket and disappearing. I do also really like the closeup of raindrops in the foreground, when I took the photo the things that struck me were the light giving the halo around the Kimbo sign and the rain in the puddles. The rest I hadnt really clocked. Also, zooming in like that reminds me of playing with ISO 1000 film back in the 90s. Grain is dramatic.

They are all vastly better than my original,for sure. The fact that AI will get reasonably close with no skill required is also very impressive. If you cropped that to suit, you'd be 95% of the way there. Where do you get the AI software, is it on the net?

Further comments, I've worked out that the intrusive aerial comes out of that police kiosk. I thought it was further back, it's not, it's clearly part of the communication for that kiosk. Also, in terms of composition, I'm coming round to the left hand side a littl bit. When you get a bit more light in there and the colours come out there's a yellow building that looks nice and a slightly looser crop makes the scene look less congested and the Piazza opens out a bit. Anyone else agree?

Oh, and further thoughts on the zoomed-in puddle shot, I really like that but it'sbecome a separate photo. It's no longer Nalopi, it's a lot more abstract. Rainy day in Napoli, yes, but it could be anywhere. I do like the raindrops though, and the way it's composed, by chance I must say, is that centre bottom there's a round splash with a second one just at one side of the expanding circle, and it looks great. The other drips are boring, but that one really jumps out. That needs to stay in both versions, regardless of the overall crop.

Here's mine. Given the bright sun reflection runs through the frame, I think it makes most sense to keep this central, so I cropped this to achieve this whilst also straightening the image slightly. The original has a strong vignette which I liked, so i've applied quite a strong one here to again focus on the light and the rain in the puddles.

I then felt the left side (kiosk) was too dark and the right side (the bus) too bright, so i've adjusted them with two layers just to balance things out (to my eyes). I also warmed the colours a little, which I think gives the light on the pavement a nicer feel. I didn't sharpen, it made it too digital for me, but i'd probably soften it a little as it adds to the whole rainy feel (I didn't though in this version).

B8lanXY.jpeg

Not just me to pick favourites, we can all have a go! I really appreciate this, in fact. It renders a poor photo worthy of display I'd more of less abandoned it.

Not just me to pick favourites, we can all have a go! I really appreciate this, in fact. It renders a poor photo worthy of display I'd more of less abandoned it.
It could be done with the most likes or the thread starter picks the winner. Your initial thread your choice!! We just need one winner to start off with next month!!

I really like the idea of turning this into a secondary 'theme ' thread.
Because it's not a competition, yet a great way of examining, and learning , newbie on-up, how to approach image touch-up - from the mild 'can you lose the aerial' to perhaps radical reinterpretation. Some of the thoughts expressed, and different perspectives showing-up here, as described from several - all add to the melt.

ETA: - face it , we all have 'snaps' where either:
1) we've been around the bouy with [photo + editing], realised what we saw in the snap, made it happen, ish; wonder if there's a parallax view; or
2) have a few examples, un-played-with, to throw out there;
3) Have a few examples where the 'vision' and what we have as a result, are at odds, not working - so let's see what other's might see in the raw image, and subsequently, make of it.
... sort of exercise...

tl;dr:
Soliciting, and appreciating alternate perspectives - is always a source of learning. 'pfm Tarting up a photo... #xyz: . . . . . ' - bring it on.

ETA2: As ever - let it stand, until it doesn't; if it devolves to a race to the bottom / something funny the first time, never after - I dunno - say, Kim Jong Un always making a guest appearance as Meter Guy, or 'the Michael Bay version /Explosion, with lens flare) or similar - as a theme, it won't be sustained, will it / having become a blatant waste of time.
- must alse make clear, in my time here at pfm that is a A Thing that happily has not plagued other 'theme' approaches ever, right across this site : )

- he says, trying to resist 'potatoshopping' 'the day after tomorrow' Twisters & Kim Jong Un into the 'sharknado'/ 'refinery explosion' images above... nnng, must ...resist...

Right, we're on. I'll judge the winners in a day or two, give it your best shot based on what I've said I like and don't out of the previous suggestions. And I'll allow ONE silly Sharknado or gorilla feeding the meter, any more than that and I'll get Joe P to Trek you up so you can't win. Winner gets to post up their own wonky, out of focus photos of the office party 3 years ago where the snooty one out of HR was sick down her dress and had to be taken home in borrowed clothes. And yes, we ALL got pics. Here's one...

Right, winners chosen! Best overall is Martin's cleanup, it remains true to the original and maintains the picture. Honourable mention to idomybest for the puddle closeup, which I like, and the advertising campaign shot which I'd say is an artwork of its own. Thanks to all who contributed, I'm really impressed that a rather weak photo can turn into such dramatic images. How do I get copies of the winners, can I take them off Flickr and have them printed? I'll frame two, if not all three.

Winner or winners of course get to choose the next photo for attention. Thanks again!

Right, winners chosen! Best overall is Martin's cleanup, it remains true to the original and maintains the picture. Honourable mention to idomybest for the puddle closeup, which I like, and the advertising campaign shot which I'd say is an artwork of its own. Thanks to all who contributed, I'm really impressed that a rather weak photo can turn into such dramatic images. How do I get copies of the winners, can I take them off Flickr and have them printed? I'll frame two, if not all three.

Winner or winners of course get to choose the next photo for attention. Thanks again!
Steve - I've emailed you the tiff file of mine, do what you like with it.

I'll have a think/ reach into the huge bucket of near-misses/ ponder how to er, frame, the challenge - and post a follow-up in a day or two.

advertisement

Back