advertisement

Tannoy Monitor Golds

It's interesting how your music memory develops hearing your records many times throughout your lifetime and the surprises you get when you notice something in the bass never heard before, it really grabs your attention. I experienced that yesterday listening to Sly and the Family Stone - "Thank You" for the first time since acquiring the speakers and hearing what the bass was doing. It's probably something I heard before but is now presented in shall I say a manner that puts a smile on your face. Tony, I'm sure you maybe experiencing this yourself.

Yay! Grills:

3328932076_a5ce094df3_o.jpg

Took my time and surprisingly didn't make a complete balls up of it.

3328932446_ee296fb8f7_o.jpg

Job done.

Tony.

Nice job on the grilles, those cabinets look beautiful! Now you need to attach a Tannoy label to the front.

John

Added bonus: The Tannoys now add critical mass to the room so the gas heater and the tiled surround now match.

Added bonus: The Garrad, the Valve Amp and the Tannoys now added a critical mass to the room and the gas heater and the tiled surround now match the decor.

You're not wrong ... Now Tony ... go tidy your room, how long's that coffee cup been there? That's no way to treat your records.

quite!

I'd be building corner GRF's for that reason - if I were building Tannoys. It's a nice simple (room friendly) solution to a good sound.

Hi Tony, just had a chance to read through the whole thread (pretty much).

I think keeping what you have is probably a better idea in hindsight. Several grand to get a slightly better sound (hopefully) in GRF's or similar, is a lot of money when you already have a great sounding loudspeaker in your home.

I think the keep-them-and-change-the-grill-if-it's-worn idea is eminently more sensible IMHO.

Glad to see you enjoying your music on one of my favourite loudspeakers, the Tannoy 15" dual concentric.

Great value for what you bought, too. Well done :)

I think keeping what you have is probably a better idea in hindsight. Several grand to get a slightly better sound (hopefully) in GRF's or similar, is a lot of money when you already have a great sounding loudspeaker in your home.

I think the keep-them-and-change-the-grill-if-it's-worn idea is eminently more sensible IMHO.

That is the plan. The more I listen to them the more I suspect the guy who built the cabs really knew what he was doing. I've heard quite a few Tannoys over the years and these are certainly good 'uns, the bass is superb, really tight and deep. They may not be a big cab, but the excessive construction and rigidity seems to ensure they are not a boomy one. They just don't have any of the cabinet noise I remember from some of the 'boxier' boxes I've heard (especially the 70s models). I really like them. I shall refer to them from now on as Tannoy Wakefields, that being where they came from.

Does anyone have any views about refurbishing the crossover? That's the only other thing I'm tempted to do anytime soon - it pretty much has to be off-spec as it's 39 years old. I believe it only has one electrolytic to swap out. I'm hoping the other stuff is ok and that's all I need to do. I only want to restore here, not 'tweak', i.e. return just it to as close to factory spec as I can.

Tony.

PS John, yes, I need some Tannoy badges!

Yes, the badges will finish them off nicely. Tony, you have one of the few sealed Tannoy 15 DC speakers I know of, most of the one's I've seen are ported or horn loaded in some way. I've posted this before, but I believe this is what the crossover in your speakers look like.

MG_crossover_2.jpg

I suspect that crossover is an 'after', there is a 'before' here on AK. The thread goes very quiet at the end, i.e. nothing positive said about the recapped crossover. If I do mine I plan just to do the electrolytic to start off, it has to be trashed by now. I think the others are paper in oil so they may be ok. I don't know though, hence asking for advice. I don't want to change their character at all so I only want to swap what is knackered.

The infinite baffle cabs are not without precedent, 15" Lancasters are sealed in both their corner and rectangular form. The 12"s in the same cabs are ported. No idea why the difference.

Tony.

FWIW, Lockwood Audio says the electrolytic caps in the old crossovers rarely if ever fail as they're oil filled.

Their recommendation is to hardwire the DC driver to the crossover, bypassing the pins, but leave the crossover alone.

Joe

FWIW, Lockwood Audio says the electrolytic caps in the old crossovers rarely if ever fail as they're oil filled.

Their recommendation is to hardwire the DC driver to the crossover, bypassing the pins, but leave the crossover alone.

I don't quite understand that. My feeble grasp is that an electrolytic cap is an electrolytic cap, a paper in oil cap is a paper in oil cap, i.e. they are different things. The Gold crossover has one electrolytic. I may give Lockwood a ring and ask for advice. I don't want to fart about with the pins / plugs etc, that's 'tweaking', I just don't want to go there. They are what they are and I likes 'em, I just want to make sure they are fit, healthy and working as intended.

Tony.

Tony,

I'd appreciate your passing on what Roger at Lockwood Audio recommends.

My crossovers are even older (circa 1958) and my Tannoy guy has not been able to source the four-pin plugs to wire up the new crossovers he's built, so I've not been able to compare old vs new yet.

(I'm not saying my Tannoys couldn't be better, but they sound so good that it's hard to imagine the crossovers are in dire need of servicing.)

Joe

Caps that are the same since 1958!?

I remember when I changed the caps in a 70's Altec, all to the better. The old ones were muffly *(technical term) in comparison.

Decent Solens or similar are pretty cheap and you can always put the old ones back in. Something 30 yrs plus, I would want them changed personally...

But each to their own, I'm hypocritical in some ways, I really like my old Sansui amp, and that's 70's and I havent even touched it.

Mind you, that was less than £100 on Ebay

Chris,

Caps that are the same since 1958!?
That was my thought as well, but Roger at Lockwood said they ought to be fine.

Joe

advertisement

Back