advertisement

Tannoy Monitor Golds

Tony L

Administrator
Ok, so there I am minding my own business browsing the fresh listings on eBay as usual, then BANG! I’ve bought a radiogram for 130 of my finest UK pounds. That was five days ago, I’ve spent the time since then thinking ‘no, they can’t be can they… I mean it’s worth the asking price just for the SME… I’m just not this lucky in life... they’ll just be some dumb Kef kit stuff or something like that…”. Then yesterday I was able to collect…

They are! They bloody are! 15” ones too!

3308071073_9025d8a449_o.jpg

Really… they are!

3308900146_bab0d4cfbd_o.jpg

And they sound bloody great.

Tony.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Seriously good result there Tony (bastard, bastard, bastard ;-) )

So what speakers are you now selling off really cheaply again?

Bloody hell! That's a serious score.
Congrats and I'm soooo.. envious.

I live in hope of striking some gold before i turn to dust.

Hi, Tony

Nice one! I wounder how many people are typing "Radiogram" in to Ebay right now!

Pete

Mick p recons you make your own luck. I think this proves him wrong . . .

Tony, could you PM me six numbers between 1 and 49?

They sound wonderful. Big, effortless, warm, yet very tight and agile. Anyone who claims the bottom couple of octaves don't matter is lying! I spent last night listening to them with crappy thin mains cable as speaker cable as that was all I could get into the screw terminals. I've since fitted a set of decent 4mm sockets / binding posts so I'm using my normal Mogami wire now. I also hadn't realised the two treble controls were set a bit strangely, I've now set them both to 'level'. They really are sounding bloody good.

The cabinets are home built using the Lancaster corner cab as the template, they are the same size, shape etc, but this guy really went the extra mile in construction.

3308070593_4b2142e179_o.jpg

I now understand why they are so bloody heavy! Each panel is doubled up 3/4" marine ply, i.e. two layers. That is then covered with a sheet of aluminium (??? why?), then there is a latice of string attached to little hooks that holds loads of wadding. It's an exceptionally solid job, far, far more solid than real Lancaster cabs. They are on castors too, though that may change. I know real Tannoyistas don't like Lancaster cabs, they seem to be considered worst of breed, but these certainly sound really nice. I have no plans to change them anytime soon, though I will sort the grill out. It's a good ply frame, it just needs some nicer fabric.

Tony.

Wow. Don't bother changing them, just sort the fabric (Rob got some original Tannoy fabric recently didn't he?) and get some Tannoy badges: sorted!

You pulled one helluva a Petrik there, Tony. (From now on, I think it should be called pulling a Lonorgan. That's an incredible deal you got.)

Congrats!

Joe

Brilliant. Well done.

I listened to all sorts of speakers at the Bristol Hifi show (I know not really fair with some of their rooms) and coming home to my Tannoy's was the highlight of the day...

Nice one! I wounder how many people are typing "Radiogram" in to Ebay right now!

Tony, you lucky, lucky so and so.

What's really annoying is I actually do, do a search on Radiogram about once a week ... because I am looking for a nice radiogram ... this week I didn't :rolleyes:.

I can't pretend I'm not envious. How do they sound with the Quad kit it came with - presumably there was a 303 in that cabinet?

Share the good fortune, I'll give you £50 for your Heresy's? :)

Well done, Richard

Well done! Great find - as you say worth the money for the SME alone.

Have you got any photos of you collecting from Barnsley on your bike? Or did you get it back on the train?

Tony,

Congratulations on the great find. Good to see they found a good home.

Enjoy,
John

advertisement

Back