1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tannoy Monitor Golds

Discussion in 'classic' started by Tony L, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Ok, so there I am minding my own business browsing the fresh listings on eBay as usual, then BANG! I’ve bought a radiogram for 130 of my finest UK pounds. That was five days ago, I’ve spent the time since then thinking ‘no, they can’t be can they… I mean it’s worth the asking price just for the SME… I’m just not this lucky in life... they’ll just be some dumb Kef kit stuff or something like that…”. Then yesterday I was able to collect…

They are! They bloody are! 15” ones too!

[​IMG]

Really… they are!

[​IMG]

And they sound bloody great.

Tony.

2. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Seriously good result there Tony (bastard, bastard, bastard ;-) )

So what speakers are you now selling off really cheaply again?

3. jimb0

jimb0 Jelly Roll Soul

You lucky, lucky bastard. That is all.

4. jaspert

jaspert pfm Member

Bloody hell! That's a serious score.
    Congrats and I'm soooo.. envious.

I live in hope of striking some gold before i turn to dust.

5. Dev

Dev pfm Member

We hate you!!! (with more passion than....):D.

Well done.

6. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Hi, Tony

Nice one! I wounder how many people are typing "Radiogram" in to Ebay right now!

Pete

7. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Mick p recons you make your own luck. I think this proves him wrong . . .

Tony, could you PM me six numbers between 1 and 49?

8. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

thats amazing- well done indeed. so how do they sound?

9. andy831

andy831 pfm Member

Bunged in the middle of Tonys Lounge with no thoughts about placement connected to his amp by some scotchblock type connection.....bloody amazing....no other words will do

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They sound wonderful. Big, effortless, warm, yet very tight and agile. Anyone who claims the bottom couple of octaves don't matter is lying! I spent last night listening to them with crappy thin mains cable as speaker cable as that was all I could get into the screw terminals. I've since fitted a set of decent 4mm sockets / binding posts so I'm using my normal Mogami wire now. I also hadn't realised the two treble controls were set a bit strangely, I've now set them both to 'level'. They really are sounding bloody good.

The cabinets are home built using the Lancaster corner cab as the template, they are the same size, shape etc, but this guy really went the extra mile in construction.

[​IMG]

I now understand why they are so bloody heavy! Each panel is doubled up 3/4" marine ply, i.e. two layers. That is then covered with a sheet of aluminium (??? why?), then there is a latice of string attached to little hooks that holds loads of wadding. It's an exceptionally solid job, far, far more solid than real Lancaster cabs. They are on castors too, though that may change. I know real Tannoyistas don't like Lancaster cabs, they seem to be considered worst of breed, but these certainly sound really nice. I have no plans to change them anytime soon, though I will sort the grill out. It's a good ply frame, it just needs some nicer fabric.

Tony.

11. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Gasp.
    Wow.

12. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

I just never have that kind of luck! I paid full whack for mine but they're worth every penny. Enjoy.

13. jimb0

jimb0 Jelly Roll Soul

Wow. Don't bother changing them, just sort the fabric (Rob got some original Tannoy fabric recently didn't he?) and get some Tannoy badges: sorted!

14. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

You pulled one helluva a Petrik there, Tony. (From now on, I think it should be called pulling a Lonorgan. That's an incredible deal you got.)

Congrats!

Joe

15. speedysteve1

speedysteve1 Registered User

Brilliant. Well done.

I listened to all sorts of speakers at the Bristol Hifi show (I know not really fair with some of their rooms) and coming home to my Tannoy's was the highlight of the day...

16. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

they could sit nicely in front of Tony's, ahem.. 'lovely deco fireplace' there :)

17. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants I'm a Shop Keeper

Tony, you lucky, lucky so and so.

What's really annoying is I actually do, do a search on Radiogram about once a week ... because I am looking for a nice radiogram ... this week I didn't :rolleyes:.

I can't pretend I'm not envious. How do they sound with the Quad kit it came with - presumably there was a 303 in that cabinet?

18. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Share the good fortune, I'll give you £50 for your Heresy's? :)

Well done, Richard

19. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Well done! Great find - as you say worth the money for the SME alone.

Have you got any photos of you collecting from Barnsley on your bike? Or did you get it back on the train?

20. John

John pfm Member

Tony,

Congratulations on the great find. Good to see they found a good home.

Enjoy,
    John