advertisement

System pics 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice, Mark - I couldn't find my socket tester so have ordered one from Screwfix to pick up tomorrow. I'm presuming there isn't a problem with the sockets' earth but it'll be good to check for absolute peace of mind. :)

Thanks for the advice, Mark - I couldn't find my socket tester so have ordered one from Screwfix to pick up tomorrow. I'm presuming there isn't a problem with the sockets' earth but it'll be good to check for absolute peace of mind. :)

Quite right - the use of solid core stuff in sockets means that you can get mechanical problems (fractures when putting sockets back onto the wall through pressure on the cable) or badly made connections when installed incorrectly. Definitely worth checking.

Good news - had a play with the socket tester and all is well, reckon it may have been down to a duff mains cable as I briefly plugged the dac into 'guilty' mains socket again and the hum is nowhere to be heard.

Well worth the tenner for the socket tester and peace of mind so thanks for the tip/link. :)

Good news - had a play with the socket tester and all is well, reckon it may have been down to a duff mains cable as I briefly plugged the dac into 'guilty' mains socket again and the hum is nowhere to be heard.

Well worth the tenner for the socket tester and peace of mind so thanks for the tip/link. :)

Gromit, you've now had two days with the Exposure and I am dying to know how you get on with it :)

Gromit, you've now had two days with the Exposure and I am dying to know how you get on with it :)

:)

48 hours in, and having had a lengthy play with positioning the Sintras, I've got to a point where things are singing ok. The amp's settled down well, we've got more bass now, and it's doing the groovy Exposure thing very nicely indeed.

Tomorrow, I'm going to have a mini amplifier bake-off between the Super XV and my Cyrus rig which could prove interesting. Put the Cyrus rig on for a brief dabble about an hour ago (first without, then with the PSX-R) and I can say quite confidently is that the Exposure will not be having it all its own way. Contrary to all the ridicule that Cyrus gear often gets on the forums, I cannot deny that it's a bloody good amp. It just seems to get more out of the Royds, making them sound bigger, more confident.

I'd really like the Super XV to come out on top (I'm a die-hard Exposure fan, having owned loads of it over the years) but have a suspicion it might not. Storming phonostage though. :)

:)

48 hours in, and having had a lengthy play with positioning the Sintras, I've got to a point where things are singing ok. The amp's settled down well, we've got more bass now, and it's doing the groovy Exposure thing very nicely indeed.

Tomorrow, I'm going to have a mini amplifier bake-off between the Super XV and my Cyrus rig which could prove interesting. Put the Cyrus rig on for a brief dabble about an hour ago (first without, then with the PSX-R) and I can say quite confidently is that the Exposure will not be having it all its own way. Contrary to all the ridicule that Cyrus gear often gets on the forums, I cannot deny that it's a bloody good amp. It just seems to get more out of the Royds, making them sound bigger, more confident.

I'd really like the Super XV to come out on top (I'm a die-hard Exposure fan, having owned loads of it over the years) but have a suspicion it might not. Storming phonostage though. :)

Ah, you got Royds again. Missed that.

Its not easy to make the most of a system with so many changes in a couple of days, lots to get used to and probably tricky to find the right speaker position. How do they compare with the 3010's?

Give it a little time (but report in the meantime please) :)

The XV looks good on your shelf.

I contacted meridian before to ask them could I use explore 2 with a sbt and they said no. I've now got a Dragon fly red.

Well, I was very new to all this but it seemed straightforward enough
- I just installed Triode’s Enhanced Digital Output app on the Squeezebox Touch and connected the Explorer to the Touch via supplied USB cable.

As previously mentioned, I have the ‘Blue light’ on the Explorer 2 - indicating MQA Studio.

NAP 250 out and my old favourite NAP 110 in for a try in the new listening room. Sounding amazingly good in this smaller room. More than enough power available but with a level of insight and verve the 250 just cannot match. Turn it down and move the chair in for near-field listening and the difference is even clearer. Highly addictive!

32680040566_155cff72b6_c.jpg

Mr Tibbs

NAP 250 out and my old favourite NAP 110 in for a try in the new listening room. Sounding amazingly good in this smaller room. More than enough power available but with a level of insight and verve the 250 just cannot match. Turn it down and move the chair in for near-field listening and the difference is even clearer. Highly addictive!

32680040566_155cff72b6_c.jpg

Mr Tibbs

:cool: Mr T - and then some.

Few more piccies...

Volume by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Pair by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

System by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Finally got the LP12 where it needs to be, on the Audiotech table. Our carpet's very thick, and there's 12mm of fibrous underlay which meant the table just would not spike through to the concrete floor underneath. Anyway, last night I put the table in place, levelled it carefully and placed 30kg of granite on top to be left overnight. Removed the granite this morning and - thankfully - it's worked. The table it well and truly embedded against the solid floor and doing its job properly now.

Very nice. The only thing I would say is that an extreme corner is (usually) the worst place for excess low frequencies.

Where is the Exposure?

Very nice. The only thing I would say is that an extreme corner is (usually) the worst place for excess low frequencies.

Where is the Exposure?

Thanks. :)

Agreed re the turntable's position, sadly this was the least damaging place where sonic compromises were concerned - it was there, or right next to the speaker with a rear-firing port. Saying that, I have spent some time moving the turntable's position around and couldn't tell a blind bit of difference. :D

The Super XV? Having been a huge Exposure fan for nearly 25 years, I so wanted it to be a better sounding amp than the Cyrus rig, but I cannot lie when my ears are telling me the silver boxes genuinely sound better. Not a huge amount in it, but that's the result - on some material the Super XV might be preferable but as an overall package, the Cyrus is better.

Mr Tibbs

The 110 really is the peach of Naim's amps.

The Super XV? Having been a huge Exposure fan for nearly 25 years, I so wanted it to be a better sounding amp than the Cyrus rig, but I cannot lie when my ears are telling me the silver boxes genuinely sound better. Not a huge amount in it, but that's the result - on some material the Super XV might be preferable but as an overall package, the Cyrus is better.

Interesting Gromit, I never thought I'd hear you say that.. but I guess comparing the two box Cyrus isn't a particularly fair comparison... maybe if you used a Exposure pre-power you'd see the outcome change :)

Agreed re the turntable's position, sadly this was the least damaging place where sonic compromises were concerned - it was there, or right next to the speaker with a rear-firing port. Saying that, I have spent some time moving the turntable's position around and couldn't tell a blind bit of difference. :D

Well, the LP12 looks settled where it is and it looks good!

How do the Royds compare with the QAcoustics?

Few more piccies...

Volume by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Pair by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

System by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Finally got the LP12 where it needs to be, on the Audiotech table. Our carpet's very thick, and there's 12mm of fibrous underlay which meant the table just would not spike through to the concrete floor underneath. Anyway, last night I put the table in place, levelled it carefully and placed 30kg of granite on top to be left overnight. Removed the granite this morning and - thankfully - it's worked. The table it well and truly embedded against the solid floor and doing its job properly now.

Looks really cool, Royd's look great on those SL24 stands. Great photo's as usual. You can come over the corridor and photograph mine at Scalford :)

Interesting Gromit, I never thought I'd hear you say that.. but I guess comparing the two box Cyrus isn't a particularly fair comparison... maybe if you used a Exposure pre-power you'd see the outcome change :)

Fair point - although the Cyrus isn't a pre/power, the plain box is the PSX-R power supply. After some more listening, the Exposure seams to cause the Royds to 'beam' more if that makes sense? The Cyrus, although still quite brightly-lit, has a more recessed (or less forward?) presence region.

Reading a couple of Sintra reviews just now (thanks to the brilliant Roydaudio archive site) they recommend listening with the speakers at approx 30% off-axis. So, I've put them flat against the wall, close to it as possible, as opposed to toe-ing in slightly - the effect is quite startling, and more than I would've thought such a simple adjustment could make. The beaming has subdued a not insignificant amount. Result! :)

Exposed by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back