advertisement

Strauss opera bargain

Also bought - are we generating a new band of Strauss opera lovers or (as in my case) a super economical way to fill a few holes in my Strauss collection?

Thanks for the heads up.

Also bought! Be interesting to see if we all get the set! Interestingly, if you key the link into your Amazon account, this set doesn't appear. All of the individual DG sets do but not the 33 disc set. Interesting!

Also bought! Be interesting to see if we all get the set! Interestingly, if you key the link into your Amazon account, this set doesn't appear. All of the individual DG sets do but not the 33 disc set. Interesting!
Keep our fingers crossed!

Anyone that follows the history of the original labels /studios ....studying where particular recordings 'originated from' :can see this Richard Strauss collection came from ..... a gathering of the Decca /DG / Sony-CBS / EMI/ & Philips studios.
Some years ago, from France - there was a Universal shoe box size - international release " 50 Complete Operas" on 100 CDs featuring a cast of the leading who's who of Opera. All were stereo/ & studio recorded productions from the same above-mentioned stable of studios.
It was an exciting classy release to avid insatiable opera collectors. Besides quite a few 'double-ups' to one's collection....for the first time in decades (for around $ 175) here - it contained many versions of highly sought after (previously ' no longer pressed' editions ') it was ridiculous to not buy it. Yet , at the time if one scoured the Web & music review magazines for mention of its existence..... it was nowhere to be found.

Now up to £53 which I assume is the 'correct' price. My order's still open. Fingers crossed that it remains so.

It sure is! BUT: don't Amazon have to honor the price that they place on the item? That is certainly true in shops!

Not if it was a pricing error, generally you'll get an email cancelling the order and an invitation to purchase again at the "correct" price.

It's the all important "E&OE" you'll find in their terms and conditions if you dig hard enough.

How long do you think that it will be before they notice the error? Let's hope that it is after the company involved notice! (No chance?)

How long do you think that it will be before they notice the error? Let's hope that it is after the company involved notice! (No chance?)

The price changed this morning and at that point it was the number one best selling classical CD, so I'd say they've noticed.

Also bought - are we generating a new band of Strauss opera lovers or (as in my case) a super economical way to fill a few holes in my Strauss collection?

Thanks for the heads up.

I find Die Frau ohne Schatten makes a pleasing alternative to Eddie Mair in the car on the way home from work.

I find Die Frau ohne Schatten makes a pleasing alternative to Eddie Mair in the car on the way home from work.

If you were playing the final scene from 'Die Frau', I would expect you to have your ears pleasantly/overwhelmingly / joyously blown out.
If anyone ever wants a demonstration sample of music to both impress a friend and show off the possible capabilities of their home Hi FI ,I cannot think of a greater test example .
Amazingly , it is reputed that as he composed, Richard Strauss 'heard it completely in his head' - including those moments that command massive orchestrations.

advertisement

Back