advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

Again no arguing taste. I just have to register that I was a DS9 fan--and did enjoy Babylon 5 very much--on disks from the library, years after it was broadcast. I have to agree that there certainly are certain situation/plot similarities. Each had its groovy aspects, and it's idiosyncrasies to tolerate....

OK, but are we all in agreement that the original series is the best ever?

Joe

Ah Majel, my first hot nerd-girl crush...

majel-barrett-star-trek-discovery.jpg

To be honest I’ve thought just about everything after TOS was pretty lame. TNG had its moments, e.g. the Borg episodes were genuinely good, and Patrick Stewart was excellent, but much of it was cringeworthy. The thing that made me laugh the most was there was always some utterly ridiculous get-out clause science that was invoked in a 1960s Batman TV series manner to back out of the many logic holes; “energise the reverse-whatever device...” etc. DS9 had a far less saccharine and lived-in aesthetic, but fell down in other ways, in fact I can’t remember anything about it other than it didn’t look like a brand new set the way TNG did. Voyager was the weakest of all, yet I still watched it. I didn’t see more than an episode of the last variant and can’t remember what it was called, which is surprising as I wasted countless weeks of my life watching the rest! I’ll be interested to see the new one if it ends up on free-TV or Amazon Prime. I quite enjoyed the post-TNG films. TOS is the thing though, that was both of and well ahead of its time. A truly remarkable TV series.

Craig,

Good, I was worried I'd have to ban you Denebian Slime Devils.

Joe

I have a vintage 60's lava lamp that occasionally conjures up a slime devil or two.

Mostly it just ends up doing Romulan dicks but that is usually an indicator that it has been on for too long.

Craig,

A lava lamp should be able to conjure up one of those flying barfs that bit Mr. Spock.

Joe

Yes, they generally come flying up early on when the soft core of the wax first starts to leak out of cracks in the harder outer 'crust'. Sometimes they are like cherry tomatoes, other times flying barf.

I kid you not, no psychotropic drugs required.

JMS offered B5 to the Star Trek franchise and they turned it down. He gave them his "Golden Book" which explained the entire plot over the entire series it ran. DS9 was a direct result of JMS finding the backing to go ahead with B5 and rushed out to air before B5 hit the airwaves.

I will finally admit in a public forum that I actually enjoyed the Quark-centric episodes of DS9, especially the ones with Andrea Martin as Quark's mom, and Wallace Shawn as the Grand Nagus.

The problems with Discovery ...

It was obvious Michelle YEOH! was going to die from the first minute.

The Klingons looked like Vogons

The subtitles didn't work and will get annoying fast.

The ships/tech looked too advanced. Enterprise got this right. We needed knobs! We needed EMI-like mixer faders! We needed that wobbly -tinkly sound!

ST works best with ensemble casts—this looks like it's about a 'lone gun' (seen two so far).

I watched The Expanse S2 episode 2 afterwards. That was much, much better.

Bryan Fuller's shows usually have a dead person come back to life. Will Discovery as well? A ghostly Michelle YEOH!? It could be CGI (and thus cheaper).

Stephen

I've been meaning to ask, what's with the weird transporter?

Joe

advertisement

Back