1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Discovery

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

I have to say that portobello-drive does seem far-fetched. One minute, you're in the Alpha Quadrant then, 'shroom!, you're somewhere else.

Joe

2. Anh

Anh Naim ghetto blaster

It is far fetched, and if we look at the 'future' in TOS/TNG etc, warp drive was the standard form of FTL travel.

This means the mushroom express will have failed spectacularly at some point in the series.

3. Joe P

Anh,

I've seen some weird Trekkie shiitake over the years...

[​IMG]

Maybe the portobello-drive isn't the oddest.

Joe

4. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Must agree that operating a space-drive by torturing an intelligent macrobe is very non-Starfleet. Though there have been slips before, Archer vacuum-boarding a prisoner comes to mind.

The doom of fungus flight will probably be that the macrobe will get killed, and they won't be able to find another one. OR--about 10,000 macrobes show up, rescue their comrade, and tell Starfleet to knock it off or else.

5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

i had it, then DS9 made massive dent in that motivation for me. voyager finished off like photon torpedo blowing up a little puppy.

vuk.

6. Joe P

Vuk,

I liked DS9. It started slow and was a bit meh in the first season but it improved a lot. Voyager was also OK and also got better once Booblar of Borg joined. But nothing touches the original series.

Joe

7. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

DS9 got better as the ensemble cast appeared to develop some chemistry. But my favorite episode was "Far Beyond The Stars" where the cast played the staff of a pulp '50s scifi magazine.

8. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

I have preferred some of the fan based series based on Kirk and Spock to this at least so far.

9. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

For me DS9 really needed a full-time starship, so when The Defiant gets stationed at DS9 & the Dominion stuff steps up the series came into its own.

10. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

11. Joe P

OK, I know it's science fiction, but how does spore drive supposedly work?

Warp drive at least seems plausible — matter and antimatter reacting and annihilating each other, powering some sort of warping of space-time thereby shortening the journey from A to B.

[​IMG]

But fungus-among-us drive? I don't get it.

Joe

12. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

Joe if youd ever taken magic mushrooms you would know that you can be transported to a different planet

13. Michael P

Michael P pfm Member

Just to double-check - are we cool with how transporters work to magically dismantle and reassemble people without them looking like human versions of shoddily constructed IKEA furniture? :)

14. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

I find it odd that my need for long meetings discussing the way forward is being met by the Klingons and not The Federation.

15. Joe P

Many things aren't making sense to me, like how the Klingons aren't laughable buffoon-like warriors who can be launched across the room with one right hook.

[​IMG]

Joe

16. tones

tones Tones deaf

According to Lawrence Krauss in The physics of Star Trek, completely possible - however, it involves annihilating the mass of a small sun every 10 seconds...

A Mexican physicist, Miguel Alcubierre, has suggested a solution of the Einstein field equations that might make it possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Given the current behaviour of the human race, I hope he's wrong and that the human contagion is forever stuck in this solar system.

17. tones

tones Tones deaf

No, but it can lead to interesting plot lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0yaRZbki6U

18. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

I think the best course of action is to forget that this is Star Trek and just assume it is A N Other sci-fi series. I mean, other than a few names (Federation, Klingon, Cockran) and some highly recognisable beepy noise if could be any other sci-fi show.

19. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

Yes, what this new series needs is more plots about aliens who take form of Greek gods, more references to Gilbert and Sullivan operas and definitely lots more holodeck recreations of twee Irish villages.

20. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Oh dear
    Just watched episode 4
    I think it is going downhill.