advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

So far, I like the Saru bloke. He reminds me a bit of that three-armed/legged bloke from the cartoon.

Joe

So far, I like the Saru bloke. He reminds me a bit of that three-armed/legged bloke from the cartoon.

he's good too, but even saying that i feel like i'm encouraging grown men to play with capitalist consumer dolls.

we really need a new sci-fi show, nit this marketing department rehash of a banal formula. why isn't money-driven "innovation" giving us something better? i just don;t understand.

vuk.

Vuk,

Olde timie Trekkies aren't impressed by the new series, but I'm still hopeful it'll find that place between keep the Joes of the world happy while appealing to a new audience.

But until then, I think this assessment is right.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
he's good too, but even saying that i feel like i'm encouraging grown men to play with capitalist consumer dolls.

we really need a new sci-fi show, nit this marketing department rehash of a banal formula. why isn't money-driven "innovation" giving us something better? i just don;t understand.

vuk.

I blame George Lucas. He's the one who kicked off this franchise nonsense in the first place.

Although it didn't seem so at the time, the early-mid 70s was a time when cinematic innovation (in terms of ideas rather than technology) reached a peak it has never regained. Trouble is/was, audiences stayed away in droves, and cinemas closed, and audiences only increased again when Spielberg and Lucas began making blockbuster sci-fi films in the late 70s.

So, the question is, has the quality of films deteriorated because of larger audiences (lowest common denominator/keeping the customer satisfied), or are the two entirely separate and unrelated phenomena? Is there a sufficiently large paying audience for more mentally stimulating material, or are re-hashes of stuff from their childhood all that will hold the interest of a mass audience?

So, the question is, has the quality of films deteriorated because of larger audiences (lowest common denominator/keeping the customer satisfied), or are the two entirely separate and unrelated phenomena? Is there a sufficiently large paying audience for more mentally stimulating material, or are re-hashes of stuff from their childhood all that will hold the interest of a mass audience?

I think the quality has declined because geeky pizza-eating programmers in basements have too much power and directors don't know how to say no to them saying "look we can add 200 extra trolls in this scene from Macbeth".

All blockbusters look like a Michael Bay film now. The Force Awakens was actually pretty refreshing if derivative.

Stephen

Cruelty to intelligent beings.

Stupid plot devices (spore drive? What?)

Ships in atmospheres (arrgh!)

Tech shown beyond any previous series.

... what Trek were you thinking of?

Stephen

Discovering the true nature and symbiotic utility of ugly, apparently mindlessly violent alien. That's been done before but is 100% the sort of thing The Great Bird was on about.

Stupid plot devices are surely part of the genre.

If you hate it so much, why are you watching it so avidly?

Avidly would be all at once!

I don't hate it–but it's not Trek for me (so far).

If it wasn't called Trek it would be seen on the level of Dark Matter or Killjoys. Entertaining but not essential.

Has there been a more stupid idea than the spore drive in Trek?

Stephen

Vuk,

i keep forgetting to watch it.
giphy.gif

When I was a kid I dropped everything when Star Trek came on. This is what separates the Trekkie from normal people.

You are reduced two steps in rank. Return to post.

Joe

I was a bigger fan of fantastic journey with dusty farlow and ike eisemann.

Ike went on to be in some silly film with the guy from fantasy island.

Has there been a more stupid idea than the spore drive in Trek?

Stephen

Why is it anymore stupid than 'transwarp' drive or any other last ditch feats of techno-sorcery never to be seen again?

Atleast we will eventually learn why the spore drive never really made it over the series - likely something not short of a colossal cock up will convince starfleet to ever dabble with such powers again.

Which is more than can be said for Scotty pulling a few chips out a transwarp computer and about 100 years on Lt nobody simply dismissed it as a failed experiment.

advertisement

Back