advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

I have to say that portobello-drive does seem far-fetched. One minute, you're in the Alpha Quadrant then, 'shroom!, you're somewhere else.

Joe

I have to say that portobello-drive does seem far-fetched. One minute, you're in the Alpha Quadrant then, 'shroom!, you're somewhere else.

Joe

It is far fetched, and if we look at the 'future' in TOS/TNG etc, warp drive was the standard form of FTL travel.

This means the mushroom express will have failed spectacularly at some point in the series.

Anh,

I've seen some weird Trekkie shiitake over the years...

trek4.jpg

Maybe the portobello-drive isn't the oddest.

Joe

Must agree that operating a space-drive by torturing an intelligent macrobe is very non-Starfleet. Though there have been slips before, Archer vacuum-boarding a prisoner comes to mind.

The doom of fungus flight will probably be that the macrobe will get killed, and they won't be able to find another one. OR--about 10,000 macrobes show up, rescue their comrade, and tell Starfleet to knock it off or else.

When I was a kid I dropped everything when Star Trek came on. This is what separates the Trekkie from normal people.

joe.

i had it, then DS9 made massive dent in that motivation for me. voyager finished off like photon torpedo blowing up a little puppy.

vuk.

Vuk,

I liked DS9. It started slow and was a bit meh in the first season but it improved a lot. Voyager was also OK and also got better once Booblar of Borg joined. But nothing touches the original series.

Joe

I liked DS9. It started slow and was a bit meh in the first season but it improved a lot.

DS9 got better as the ensemble cast appeared to develop some chemistry. But my favorite episode was "Far Beyond The Stars" where the cast played the staff of a pulp '50s scifi magazine.

Vuk,

I liked DS9. It started slow and was a bit meh in the first season but it improved a lot. Voyager was also OK and also got better once Booblar of Borg joined. But nothing touches the original series.

Joe

For me DS9 really needed a full-time starship, so when The Defiant gets stationed at DS9 & the Dominion stuff steps up the series came into its own.

OK, I know it's science fiction, but how does spore drive supposedly work?

Warp drive at least seems plausible — matter and antimatter reacting and annihilating each other, powering some sort of warping of space-time thereby shortening the journey from A to B.

main-qimg-6b4ee3a659325fbdfccd57bf565f90d1

But fungus-among-us drive? I don't get it.

Joe

Just to double-check - are we cool with how transporters work to magically dismantle and reassemble people without them looking like human versions of shoddily constructed IKEA furniture? :)

I find it odd that my need for long meetings discussing the way forward is being met by the Klingons and not The Federation.

Many things aren't making sense to me, like how the Klingons aren't laughable buffoon-like warriors who can be launched across the room with one right hook.

giphy.gif

Joe

Warp drive at least seems plausible — matter and antimatter reacting and annihilating each other, powering some sort of warping of space-time thereby shortening the journey from A to B.

According to Lawrence Krauss in The physics of Star Trek, completely possible - however, it involves annihilating the mass of a small sun every 10 seconds...

A Mexican physicist, Miguel Alcubierre, has suggested a solution of the Einstein field equations that might make it possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Given the current behaviour of the human race, I hope he's wrong and that the human contagion is forever stuck in this solar system.

I think the best course of action is to forget that this is Star Trek and just assume it is A N Other sci-fi series. I mean, other than a few names (Federation, Klingon, Cockran) and some highly recognisable beepy noise if could be any other sci-fi show.

Yes, what this new series needs is more plots about aliens who take form of Greek gods, more references to Gilbert and Sullivan operas and definitely lots more holodeck recreations of twee Irish villages.

advertisement

Back