advertisement

SS Power Amp suggestions.

jy3

pfm Member
My brother would like to change from a valve power amp to ss. He has no intention of changing his DCS Rossini or Estelon XB speakers. His VTL 200 has had to go for repair and has purchased a Quad 909 on here as a temporary measure, so is in no rush to get a replacement. Easy to get a dem would be Vitus, T & A, and Constellation, but also considered Pass Labs and Boulder. Has many know, getting dems is the biggest problem. Has anything passed him under the radar which would be a good match. The Estelons are not a difficult load and budget would be £10k with a little flexibility.

<moderating>

I’ve removed two posts from traders plugging their wares. The site AUP is clear on this and whilst I admit I’ve been lapse in moderating it of late it is making the audio room a joke. Please keep trade advertising to the respective areas and allow punters to discuss their experiences in this section.

PS The AUP and FAQ can now be found located at the top of the reference room.

Nice budget... has your brother tried any LFD gear? They desperately need some sort of consistent web presence, but they make very fine amplifiers, current ranges out of my budget though! Some of their integrated & older amps are a little bit underpowered IMHO (for my speakers & tastes), but not the big power amps like PA2M, or NCSE integrated, which are effortless sounding. The current top of the range are the Anniversary monoblocks.

Limited & out of date information is here: http://www.lfd-audio.com/

Thanks for the suggestion Yomanze, I'm sure the LFD equipment is good, but they should at least keep their website updated.

Belles are superb.
Chord not far behind

Can you get to me in North East Surrey to hear Belles driving TAD speakers ?

belles are indeed superb and don`t get as much exposure as they should , i had the mb200 monoblocks which were really good and only bettered by the msb s200 . may i suggest an msb power amp , audio emotion just sold one at 6950 and its worth every penny . T&A seem to have huge exposure in hi fi news but never tried any

second from msb on my list would be pass labs which are very popular but he should also get a demo of grandinote power amps . a chap on audioshark changed from pass labs to grandinote monoblocks and was very pleased

post 40 http://www.audioshark.org/amplifier...sounds-grandinote-audio-italy-5879-page4.html

luxman of course is highly spoken of and i am sure dale at fanthorpes would give a demo

https://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/brands...MI47S0yOHc1wIVbbftCh1NMglMEAQYAiABEgJYq_D_BwE

That's a very kind offer Mike, I will talk to my brother and let you know by pm.
hifinutt, I had forgotten about Grandinote, and I can remember reading a very good review of the Luxman. The MSB's maybe a little on the clinical side for his taste but you can correct me on that.
Jodet, never thought about Benchmark, kinda thought they were class D, but having just read a review they are a/b and class h. Don't know what class h is, I guess similar to d. Will look into these options, and how far we have to travel to get a dem. By the way he lives in Watford.

<moderating>

I’ve removed two posts from traders plugging their wares. The site AUP is clear on this and whilst I admit I’ve been lapse in moderating it of late it is making the audio room a joke. Please keep trade advertising to the respective areas and allow punters to discuss their experiences in this section.

PS The AUP and FAQ can now be found located at the top of the reference room.

Not me on this occasion AFAIK but if I could be indulged for a moment to make some observations from the perspective of a trader....

I guess it's the nature of the game that the biggest companies, with the most money to buy advertising, and who have the most dealers and the highest presence in the mags will get recommended the most often. An SME or one man band manufacturer will sometimes have a product which would be ideal for the OP's situation... It is beyond frustrating and maddening to then see a list of the biggest brands with the biggest advertising budgets, the predictable and most well known choices recommended as usual, when you know damn well you have a product which is not only ideally suited to the OP's needs but possibly better and cheaper than the predictable recommendations. OK some times someone will suggest ones product anyway but often the only way the OP is going to be aware of this is if one chimes in and suggests ones own product... at least making it's very existence known to the OP.

Yes there is a trade section here but most people will come along with a list in mind of "5 star award" and "best buy" products. If not then these same products will soon be suggested! An OP is hardly likely to trawl the trade announcements section to see if there is an obscure brand available which better suits their needs!

Would some compromise not be possible? Say a simple link to the relevant trade announcement or thread?

Thanks for the suggestion Yomanze, I'm sure the LFD equipment is good, but they should at least keep their website updated.

...that's the thing, there is no official website, that one is from an old dealer I believe. LFD sales are much better represented in the USA & Far East with some good dealers out there, but he (Dr. Richard Bews) is not interested in marketing, websites, PR etc. Don't let this detract from the product quality.

...that's the thing, there is no official website, that one is from an old dealer I believe. LFD sales are much better represented in the USA & Far East with some good dealers out there, but he (Dr. Richard Bews) is not interested in marketing, websites, PR etc. Don't let this detract from the product quality.

I'm sorry but it does.

Ali T, for some reason I though Nicks amps were valves.:oops: He was kind enough to give us free tickets to the Indulgence Show this year, so a definite possibility.

How about the Sugden Masterclass? It would be nicer step from valve than many other brands could offer.

I'm sorry but it does.

Ali T, for some reason I though Nicks amps were valves.:oops: He was kind enough to give us free tickets to the Indulgence Show this year, so a definite possibility.

A lot of them are LOL, but the last few years he’s been playing with SS too. If you were in the Longdog room at the show we probably met. :)

the msb are most certainly not clinical in sound , they have a valve like texture and are beautiful . they are 200 watts of class A and i was blown away by them when i go it 4-5 years ago . silent as a mouse and remote controlled

What about Parasound? I have the Halo A21 and can't fault it. If you really want to push the boat out, the JC1 monoblocks are very highly regarded. I haven't listened to them personally, but by all accounts they are stunning.

advertisement

Back