advertisement

SS Power Amp suggestions.

The bridged amps will have half the class A power, not double...

Class A is the ultimate though!

Sorry incorrect information the power on a SECA design (mine) will stay the same into 8 Ohms, but for 16 Ohm instead of say 10W we will get 20W, thus the same as in 8 Ohms non bridge. The output voltage goes up BUT the current max stays the same. BUT a P-P should give 4 times the power, this has to supply more current so in some designs the output stages will burn because of stress. (SOA)
That is why I use 16 large power transistors in my Push Pull A Class at 100W into 8 Ohms and 200W into 4 Ohms. And with a bigger Transformer I can push them to 800W into 1 Ohm a true dynamic PSU design.

Sorry incorrect information the power on a SECA design (mine) will stay the same into 8 Ohms, but for 16 Ohm instead of say 10W we will get 20W, thus the same as in 8 Ohms non bridge. The output voltage goes up BUT the current max stays the same. BUT a P-P should give 4 times the power, this has to supply more current so in some designs the output stages will burn because of stress. (SOA)
That is why I use 16 large power transistors in my Push Pull A Class at 100W into 8 Ohms and 200W into 4 Ohms. And with a bigger Transformer I can push them to 800W into 1 Ohm a true dynamic PSU design.

We're talking push pull here but yes you are quite right, it stays the same in bridge mode. The load for a bridged amp appears as half the impedance of the load on a non bridged amp in terms of the stress the amp is under and it is convenient to think of the load being half its actual value when considering full power use of a P-P bridge amp. It's a convenient "mental shorthand/aide memoir" when thinking of P-P bridge mode, but on this occasion we are not talking in terms of max power or any where near it, just max power in class A. Hence the power available in class A stays the same in order to prevent Mr Kirchhoff getting in a strop over his first law. Now if the load was actually half the impedance, rather then me stupidly applying a maxim that only holds true under certain circumstances, then the class A power would have been half... Doh!

Arkless, please stay away from this thread no matter how helpful you think your comments are.:)
Quick update, my brother is still enjoying the Vitus and is waiting for a T & A amp from his dealer. An AudioNet Amp 1 V2 is coming from fiaudio and should be received just after Christmas. For any dealers reading this, Audionet don't have one in the London area.

advertisement

Back