advertisement

Speakers that sound good in corners or against the walls?

My Audio Note AX-Twos work well close to room corners (6") and close to the wall. As close as skirting board and speaker stand bases and connections will allow (about 4" in this case).

I had Audionote AN-Js in the corners of my small room, now have 6ft high horns 2 foot out from the walls. Love my new speakers but regret the lack of floor space and regret selling the AN-Js, just made you want to listen to music all day without all the hi-fi analysing crap!

I had Audionote AN-Js in the corners of my small room, now have 6ft high horns 2 foot out from the walls. Love my new speakers but regret the lack of floor space and regret selling the AN-Js, just made you want to listen to music all day without all the hi-fi analysing crap!

It is nice when you can get to that point of not being so analytical about the system or "sounds". I feel like the Larsen speakers I have, have allowed me to do that for the most part. Try to enjoy your new horns and get rid of the regret on the J's!

I regret parting with the AN-Js, wish my son had the sense to take them for nowt. The not so new horns however are in another league and will be my last ever speakers.
My only complaint about all my former speakers was the lack of height to the images, 6 and a half feet of double horns cures that big style:)
Chanced on these as I was about to splurge 6.5K on a well respected brand of 'conventional' speakers and these blow them away in every respect.. helped a little by two subs.

Nice, are these horns home made or project, or a brand that is already out there? Regardless, sounds like they are doing the right stuff for you.

Funny you mention the image height thing, that too is one of the things I like about the Larsen, they do well in this respect, where a lot of speakers, especially smaller monitor types fail. I do realize image height and things like this are related to the recording and those effects, but....

I thought proacs weren't too fussy as they have downward bass ports?

The location of, or even the presence of, a port is far from the only determining factor in whether or not a speaker is suitable for near-wall placement.

Mainly, it's a matter of how much baffle step compensation was used in the design of the crossover. If it has "full baffle step" then the designer meant it for free space.

I thought proacs weren't too fussy as they have downward bass ports?

The later Response series had downward facing ports but the first series had front ports except the R4 which had ports at the rear.

I rather think that most of the ProAcs, at least the older ones, had front or rear ports. Most needed free space but the Fours needed lots of it. I cannot imagine a ProAc performing at best against a wall or in a corner.

The later Response series had downward facing ports but the first series had front ports except the R4 which had ports at the rear.

I rather think that most of the ProAcs, at least the older ones, had front or rear ports. Most needed free space but the Fours needed lots of it. I cannot imagine a ProAc performing at best against a wall or in a corner.

The Response 1sc has a rear port and most definitely doesn’t work right in the corners.

The location of, or even the presence of, a port is far from the only determining factor in whether or not a speaker is suitable for near-wall placement.

Mainly, it's a matter of how much baffle step compensation was used in the design of the crossover. If it has "full baffle step" then the designer meant it for free space.

Yep.

Nice, are these horns home made or project, or a brand that is already out there? Regardless, sounds like they are doing the right stuff for you.

Funny you mention the image height thing, that too is one of the things I like about the Larsen, they do well in this respect, where a lot of speakers, especially smaller monitor types fail. I do realize image height and things like this are related to the recording and those effects, but....

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?20015-FS-Sachiko-Double-Mouthed-Horn-with-Fostex-208

Nearest I've seen commercially were smaller with lesser drivers, 10K dollars so methinks I got something of a bargain:)

I currently use Shahinian Compass 2s about 6" from the wall behind them and find they retain their unique soundstage presentation and the bass doesn't boom. Had some a while ago in a smaller room with the same results.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?20015-FS-Sachiko-Double-Mouthed-Horn-with-Fostex-208

Nearest I've seen commercially were smaller with lesser drivers, 10K dollars so methinks I got something of a bargain:)

Those may the Tune Audio Primes I've got, the driver is the same as yours just the smaller version but the tweeter is the top of the range one.

I've been really impressed with the fostex drivers, my horns use a full range FE168EZ but crossover to the FT96H horn-loaded supertweeter at 7khz and then manage to squeeze in 2.5 metres of horn.

12.png

Have to admit when I auditioned these I was less than impressed but turns out they had been driven with a flea powered amp and I doubt the drivers were anything like burnt in. Were a tad harsh for a few months but now sound glorious on the end of my Audiopax 88s.

I was using mine with a very good 8W 300b amp and the difference going to a class A solid state amp was phenomenal, feedback from other TA Prime owners is they also use SS to sound their best with FirstWatt, Grandinote and Modwright being the best.

I'm going to try a Modwright kwi200 next week to see if it's better than the Sugden (I suspect it will be)

Might be worth trying yours with some SS as well.

advertisement

Back