advertisement

SOS: SD card failure!

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hi all. Just back from my week in Romania. Took the Q2 and the XT-2 but it seems like the XT-2's SD card has failed. It's a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB U3. I'm not convinced that it's beyond recovery, though, since it was fine yesterday when I reviewed the pictures I took before packing the camera, and briefly showed the files when I attempted to copy the images to my Mac. However, when I did this the transfer was in the KBps rather than the expected 80MBps, so I stopped the transfer and since then the card has refused to play ball. It also doesn't now allow review in the XT-2.

My question is whether anyone knows of any techniques to recover the files, assuming that there must still be data on the card. Fortunately this card only contains the nighttime long-exposure photos I took of the city, which maybe amount to perhaps 20 shots. The Q2 card is fine, with closer to 300 shots.

Thanks.

Sandisk Rescuepro software should be available free for a year after you bought the card. Worth contacting them.

In the end, after a lot of faffing, I found a program - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard - whose free version allows for a small number of files to be saved. This it did, which is just as well as most of these apps are around £90 and up, and no guarantees of success.

Just need to decide if the SD card in question should be chucked or if it just needs a proper reformat.

In the end, after a lot of faffing, I found a program - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard - whose free version allows for a small number of files to be saved. This it did, which is just as well as most of these apps are around £90 and up, and no guarantees of success.

Just need to decide if the SD card in question should be chucked or if it just needs a proper reformat.
Sling it, they're cheap enough

I never do

I can’t say it’ll definitely cause an issue. But I’ve never had an issue except for my very first 1Gb compact flash card completely dying when it was very old. The recommendation has always been to do it, and it only takes a few seconds.

advertisement

Back