advertisement

Corrupted SD card Android

cj66

pfm Member
A 64gb SDcard from my Samsung S7e has been giving trouble for a while, certain files not opening and some semi fuzzed out pictures.
Yes, I should have taken action sooner but now the card is unreadable by the phone.
I have tried loading it up to a PC, which reported errors and offered Windows fix.
After a claimed successful fix I still cannot copy the card contents to a new card, it reports enormous copy times and then flunks out.

I see online there are recovery programs but also warnings of same being dodgy.

Does anyone in the Pink school have any experience in recovery of data under these circumstances or even know a reovery program that is definitely good to use?

Cheers

Can you see the files and data in Windows? If so its readable.

Todays Windows is an utter mess. I can't even copy from my some of my Linux backups! Well not without jumping through several hoops. And. And then when Windows tries it begins to delete stuff from my Linux backups!! Windows 11 is a real pile of shit.

I suggest that you make a Linux Mint installation USB (free). With this you can boot up your computer into Linux (no installation needed) and then copy your SD card to whatever you want.

DV

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.
(Yes, can see all the files and folders)

I've resisted Win11, 10 is bad enough...

I've finally got around to this!
Linux Mint is doing a great job, opened up the SD card without a whimper and is doing it's best to copy most folders/files to a hard drive for now. It's slow going but I've recovered over 15GBs so far with another 15 to go.

Just one odd thing, it has only found picture folders/files, no other format like any office style files.

The dodgy SD card is in the laptop's SD slot, Linux in one USB and the HDD in the other. When prompted for how to open the SD I selected "Open folder". Any ideas why non picture files have not been found?

A bit of a long shot, but have you tried cleaning the contacts? A cotton bud with a touch of alcohol based cleaning fluid would probably be worth a try.

Linux Mint is doing a great job, opened up the SD card without a whimper and is doing it's best to copy most folders/files to a hard drive for now. It's slow going but I've recovered over 15GBs so far with another 15 to go.

Just one odd thing, it has only found picture folders/files, no other format like any office style files.

The dodgy SD card is in the laptop's SD slot, Linux in one USB and the HDD in the other. When prompted for how to open the SD I selected "Open folder". Any ideas why non picture files have not been found?
Could the picture files and folders be in a different partition to the others? If they are all in the same partition are there any differences in owner / group or permissions?

They are most likely stored on the 32GB internal storage of the phone. If you want these on the SD card you need to use the phone to copy them from internal storage.

You can use Linux Mint to make an image backup of your SD card. Press the Windows key and type 'di' then select disks. You should see all mounted disks. Select the SD card and then the three dots top of the box followed by 'create disk image'. Make sure that the destination is on an external USB device!

DV

@Fatmarley
Yup, good shout and always my first course of action.

@vince rocker
Quite possible, I'll have a closer look into that. I did manage to find the music files already.

@Darth Vader
Really can't find them anywhere, I'll try that and anything else I can think of...the office files are not in internal memory and disappeared when the card played up.

Are they like office files microsoft office? Are they not in onedrive, i.e. the cloud?

^^^^
Yes, office files but the paranoid Android (pun intended) in me means I don't use cloud storage/backup.

However, during the continued file recovery the aforementioned files have suddenly appeared, albeit in a very different order to that I was used to.

Some folders copy over badly and need to be redone by sub-folders or even file by file, hence the time consuming side of things...

The image copy I mentioned above will be a lot lot faster and you can then either mount the image to have a look around or copy it back to a fresh SD card.

DV

@Darth Vader

I have now tried the image copy you described, unfortunately it came back with multiple errors and failed. Going the slow way it looks like I'll end up with at least 80% of the data recovered, the remaining likely lost to the old sd card.

I have now read that the Samsung S6 & S7 have a number of reports of knackering SD cards that have been in them for a long time, with heat given as a possible cause?
Anyway, my S7e is also starting to die so a phone with much larger internal memory is in my near future!

I guess from what you have said so far that the SD card file system has been corrupted by your phone and no I don't think its due to heat if you have a decent SD card (and Samsung recommends their own EVO). The typical OS flavours that you find on Android phones are very basic and employ the FAT disk format. This is (unlike NTFS and macOS formats) a none journaled system that doesn't have the ability to recover from a write/power-off failure.

I'm surprised that creating a disk image results in error messages but then I'm not actually in front of the computer to see what actually happens.

Anywho you are managing to recover much of your data using Linux - its my favourite OS as a techy type.

DV

advertisement

Back