advertisement

Sonos Lose the Plot

Which rather misses the point - there are a ton of people who don't want to know about hifi, or have any interest in making a system. Some, if they see a device that fits their pad or budget or lifestyle, will see this box and buy it. It will doubtless do what they need.

Agreed. Most here would agree that Sonos only offers half the potential enjoyment for twice the price, but at least the streaming works faultlessly where it doesn't always elsewhere.

Proper hi-fi manufacturers should compete with them and get their wifi working. Even Devialet with all their dosh don't seem to be able to do that.

Which rather misses the point - there are a ton of people who don't want to know about hifi, or have any interest in making a system. Some, if they see a device that fits their pad or budget or lifestyle, will see this box and buy it. It will doubtless do what they need.
As one of my friends once said about this kind of setup. "It's a music system for people who don't like music"

Its a system for people who can't be doing with the hassle or commitment of seeking out the best possible sound. They prefer something that works reliably, easily, without any hassle, doesn't dominate a room & sounds good enough. They aren't interested in cables, dedicated stands, exact speaker positioning etc etc etc.
There are 100 of them to every 1 of us audiophiles.
I guess the hifi industry & dealers hope that a certain % of Sonos users "get the bug" & eventually upgrade to a better "proper" system. I would guess that the vast majority stick with sonos though.

I love my (for me) expensive kit, but I also have Play 1s in bedroom and kitchen, and a connect going into main system, and a further Play 1 at work.

Sonos is brilliant for what it does, although finding new app a bit of a struggle to start with

advertisement

Back