advertisement

Some interesting classic speakers.....

Like ‘James’, above, I’ve a soft spot for AR speakers.
I my early days in Oxford, there was a record shop in Little Clarendon Street.
It had a pair of AR4ax speakers running.
I’d never hear any speakers sound so good.
Later a friend at New College bought a pair of AR7s.
I was on the ‘must have a pair of ARs’ path.
Eventually, after owning various British speakers, I bought AR7s.
I was back at the Little Clarendon St. record shop.
This time, though, it was ‘AR Heaven’ at home...

Can't go wrong with single digit AR's. I had AR5's, AR7's. And LST's. But they are not easy speakers as they need plenty of quality power to get all those cones to do their thing.

My daily driver speakers in my main system is a pair of 1965 AR-2ax. I did a complete refurb myself, including repairing the woofers and rebuilding the phenolic dome tweeters. I still have my 2-year old KLH 5s. The 2ax speakers sound better than the KLH 5 in every area. So my KLH 5s will be looking for a new home soon.

Can I ask where you got these from? Very rare indeed. Of course, you said listening to, so perhaps they aren't yours.
Sadly not mine but may become available...

Sadly didnt hear them sing,but heard b&w 801f instead...
Actually may be available in the future..
Mica drivers and have seen the internal cabinetry and it surpasses the ns1000s which are far from light weight..
Interesting the bottom is a solid anti resonance rubber...

For a little pair the AR22Bx is lovely and very musical while also being pacey. The presentation has a bit of JBL about it. It quite belies its plain appearance.

I owned a pair of SB-MX200D, but sadly could never get my issue resolved with one tweeter being down on volume. I do remember the build quality as being of an extremely high level.

As were the AR18BX - a very musical loudspeaker. 👍
I remember those, they were the step up from Wharfey Diamonds back in the 80s for students with money, iirc.
I’ve been enjoying Celestion Ditton 66 since they arrived in December, I had low expectations and they blew that preconception away.
Why would you have low expectations? They are far from cheap, and for good reason, and they were a flagship at the time. They are still well regarded now.

Large Advents are worth trying. From the classic "New England" era of AR, KLH etc. I refurbished a pair of the Advents and kept them for a good while. Similar sound to the AR's and can be found cheaper.

I remember those, they were the step up from Wharfey Diamonds back in the 80s for students with money, iirc.

Why would you have low expectations? They are far from cheap, and for good reason, and they were a flagship at the time. They are still well regarded now.
That trait we have Steve in thinking things moved on. Box-shaped, old drivers, weak flappy bass, soft sounding and veiled, as with many things in life items designed and engineered well take us by surprise, especially when they no longer have any real monetary value.

advertisement

Back