advertisement

Some interesting classic speakers.....

Fitnessed

pfm Member

saw a pair of 1976 Epicure 20s last year for sale locally. bought new sets of woofers + (concave) tweeters (2+2 per speaker) from a US company called Human Speakers that still manufactures original parts for Epicure (& related) speakers. there's a single capacitor in the crossover & they sound like full range speakers, shockingly immediate & dynamic. there's no real 3D soundstage, but tonally everything is just right (never heard jazz sound so good). the designer had studied music (the organ) & perhaps not surprisingly, the bass is very "physical".

in my admittedly compromised smallish 3x5m listening room, driven by a Croft Series V MkIII, they're much better than the Harbeth SHL5s I used to have there.

the best system I have ever heard used an AR turntable, a floor full of Jadis amplification and AR LST 'speakers, breathed on by Mark Levinson.

I don’t suppose Goodmans Minister speakers would be classed as ‘Classic’, but
when I acquired a pair for a customer I was very surprised how good they sounded.
Better front ends and amplification certainly help.
When I owned a pair they were driven by a Metrosound ST20 ( and later a Sony TA1010 ) using a BD1
with a Micro Seiki MM cartridge.

AR9's - heard these in late 70's, early 80's. Amps were SAE, GAS. A big big sound
I have a soft spot for AR loudspeakers. AR94s were my first proper pair, and they sounded fabulous until their foam surrounds turned to dust after a short couple of years.

I had sketched an Ergo tribute to the AR9, but sadly it never got off my doodle-pad. A pair of horizontally opposed 12" woofers in each cabinet close to the ground will shift some serious trouser-flapping air.

kef 105.1/2 and 107

ns1000m-

jr149

quad 57

impulse Taus

kef104/2

dahlquiest dq 10

Tannoy cheviot,just not doing it for me unless its slow jazz....

B and W 801s are worthy a speaker with a huge foot print.....[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

advertisement

Back