advertisement

Signs a cartridge needs re-tipped?

If you can't remember if it sounded better 2 weeks ago, I'd suggest you have crud build up around the diamond - if it's worn out that creeps up on you rather than changing overnight.

Clean it properly as a first step? Or I can dispose of that crappy worn diamonded, saggy suspensioned Linn turd for you if you like (I have an Asaka and DV Karat - both original, never re tipped, sound great).

Yes, pretty obvious yet previously unmentioned analyses from AVOLE and DOWSER. You'll need a loupe or highish magnification of some sort to view. Cleaning is a simple next step with a steady hand. If it's knackered you have little to lose.

I originally had a Basic arm on an LP12, and that was considered fit for moving magnets only. Is the Basic Plus a different kettle of fish?

I have one of those ultrasonic stylus cleaners, and some liquid stylus cleaner and brush. I'll give that a go, and then re-align, and check the tracking force. I've no reason to believe those have drifted, but it doesn't hurt to check.

In terms of viewing it, I can probably rig up something with a macro tube, maybe.

Reading, I believe a lot of people think the Basic Plus is OK-ish for some MC carts, but the general recommendation is that the Akito is a big step up. Certainly I found the switch from a couple of cheaper cartridges [Linn K9, AT95, Ortofon OM5e] which I'd had on it before to the Asak was a dramatic improvment. Probably the single biggest night-and-day shift I've made in hifi. So while the Basik+ may not be up to much, it certainly sounded better to me with the MC cart than the previous items.

Ta!

I should add, I'm not indulging in Linn bashing, the Arkiv was for sale on a used lp12/ Ekos and my lp12/ ittock/OC9 was audibly better- because the Arkiv was completely shagged.

If your stylus is really gunked up, the At 637 (?) won't shift it, and could possibly send fluid up the cantilever. I always take the cart. off to clean/inspect by hand.

A simple way is replacing it with a much cheaper, new cartridge- and if the latter sounds better, your pride and joy is kronked. Happened to me when an AT-OC9 wiped the floor with an Arkiv.

Me too and ever since I have owned an AT-OC9!

In fact I am currently running in my fourth which now has 15hrs on it and already sounds superb. By 50 they are usually fully on-song :)

What are the signs a cartridge needs a re-tip?

Speaking from recent personal experience, I concluded that my Kontrapunkt b was probably ready for a re-tip when I lowered the stylus onto the record and it skated straight across it... :(

Speaking from recent personal experience, I concluded that my Kontrapunkt b was probably ready for a re-tip when I lowered the stylus onto the record and it skated straight across it... :(

Did you get it re-tipped? One of mine has been done a couple of times and I'm keen to hear of others' experiences.

Very late follow-up to this thread, but I picked up a Shure M97xE today and mounted it and made a comparison with the Asak. Not really a gigantic difference.

Perhaps the mids are very slightly more recessed on the Asak, and a tad more 'air' and sweetness around the treble, but that's about it.

So perhaps the Asak isn't as clapped out as I thought. Thanks for all the useful advice, though.

Thanks for all of the advice, though.

advertisement

Back