advertisement

Signs a cartridge needs re-tipped?

mat_mcg

pfm Member
What are the signs a cartridge needs a re-tip?

Is there something specific one would expect to hear?

I ask because I have a Linn Asak which seems* to be sounding a bit muffled overall, and a little 'scooped' in the mids, or more than I remember. Top end still sounds clean, and the bass is fine, it's the mid-range that sounds a bit off.

And, if it turns out it does need re-tipped, recommendations for a cheapish cartridge [def. under £150, and preferably less] that can be used as a short to medium term replacement?

Cheers!

Matt

* seems, because I might be mis-remembering how it sounded last time I used it [2 weeks or so], and there are other possible variables at play.

Even if its a late model its over 30 years old so most likely needed replacing years ago.
You won't be doing your vinyl any good by still using it.

As a short to medium term replacement, I'd recommend something like the Denon DL110. Excellent performer for the money. Within your budget too.

If you can't remember or haven't kept a log of overall hours on a cart, you can only go by age really so my advice would be as per Barry's above. What some people also forget is that compliance also changes on older carts as the rubber dries out/ages which is why some NOS carts (like the Somus Blue Gold which was still available NOS up to a few years ago) demonstrate markedly lower compliance than originally specified.

The rule of thumb I use for a properly set up and adjusted cart used on clean LPs is generally between 800 to 1200 hours use before I'd consider replacing it. Examining the stylus under something like 60x magnification helps to establish overall condition. I've seen many that owners were tempted to replace that were fine but just needed a good clean to get all the gunk off them.

I used to have a DL-110, and it didn't play nice with my pre-amp -- not enough output for the MM setting, and too much for the MC. I sold it fairly recently, with only a couple of hours of use on it, to another PFMer, who seems very happy with it.

I don't know how many hours the Asak has had. I bought it used, here, in fact. It certainly sounded really very good, up until recently. But yeah, it's old.

In terms of short to medium term replacements, I'm happy with either MC or MM, I think. Both will work with my pre- if they are fairly standard output. It's only HOMC that are no good.

I used to have a DL-110, and it didn't play nice with my pre-amp -- not enough output for the MM setting, and too much for the MC. I sold it fairly recently, with only a couple of hours of use on it, to another PFMer, who seems very happy with it.

I don't know how many hours the Asak has had. I bought it used, here, in fact. It certainly sounded really very good, up until recently. But yeah, it's old.

In terms of short to medium term replacements, I'm happy with either MC or MM, I think. Both will work with my pre- if they are fairly standard output. It's only HOMC that are no good.
Can I ask what arm and TT you use?

:D
What are the signs a cartridge needs a re-tip?

Is there something specific one would expect to hear?

I ask because I have a Linn Asak which seems* to be sounding a bit muffled overall, and a little 'scooped' in the mids, or more than I remember. Top end still sounds clean, and the bass is fine, it's the mid-range that sounds a bit off.

And, if it turns out it does need re-tipped, recommendations for a cheapish cartridge [def. under £150, and preferably less] that can be used as a short to medium term replacement?

Cheers!

Matt

* seems, because I might be mis-remembering how it sounded last time I used it [2 weeks or so], and there are other possible variables at play.

My experience with a number of Linn MC cartridges is that do tend to sound as you describe as they wear out - they have less and less sparkle until they sound very tonally flat.

Edit: As Barry says, that's a very old cartridge and for it not to be thoroughly worn out (quite a few years ago) it must have lived the majority of its life in a draw!

A simple way is replacing it with a much cheaper, new cartridge- and if the latter sounds better, your pride and joy is kronked. Happened to me when an AT-OC9 wiped the floor with an Arkiv.

Under the right microscope you can see the flats worn on the diamond indicating it's worn out. Need to remove the cartridge though, and as others have said the rubber's likely to be knackered anyway. I've a fine collection of MM chisels in a drawer. On those the treble became sibilant and tracking poor on inside tracks.

IT was a long time ago, but I remember my Karma getting duller and duller; however the LP12 may have contributed to that; I had it 5 years from new, but that didn't equate to anywhere near 1000 hours.

It does sound from comment above that it may be shagged.

I may not ever re-tip it. Either way, I don't have the budget right now for either a proper rebuild and retip of the Asak, or a new good quality MC cartridge.

The current turntable is a Linn Axis with a Basik+ arm. Replacing that is not an option. Financially, I mean. I have no Linn brand loyalty.

Any replacement cartridge has to be able to do decent service for a year or more, at which point, I'll look at a new MC cart (or rebuild). I have a toddler in the house, and no funds for any much more than £100-150 as a stop-gap.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Matt

I had similar issues with a Troika. The suspension was shagged.

I'm not saying the suspension can't fail but I've got two Troikas and a Karma (and Asaka and Asak :)) and the suspension is OK on all of them. The two Troikas have both been retipped more than once. The last time the coils were rewound and the suspension specifically checked and found to be A1.

The biggest issue (IMO) with having an Asak re-tipped is that it will cost £300 and if I were spending that I would rather it was on a Karma or Troika.

Before doing anything I'd check the stylus for dirt and give it a good clean. Sounding muffled is often the impact of dirt.

Second thing is to check alignment, tracking force, antiskate and VTF, then play several records. If they all sound the same, then it probably is wear. Symptoms are a sound I can best describe as slightly out of focus, with a loss of definition throughout the range, including the highs.

If you need to replace, then Goldring would make sense, since they make the carts for Linn so the sound shouldn't be a mile off. Personally, I'd put on an AT95, perhaps with an upgraded tip, but they're far too cheap to be taken seriously by some members of this forum :)

If you take a look at analog planet, Fremer has made needle drops for a number of cartridges ranging from the AT95 to a really expensive hobby whose name I forget. Unfortunately the volume matching is a bit awry, but at least they give an idea of the strength and weaknesses of each cartridge.

advertisement

Back