advertisement

Sia.... Why?

Such complexity needs a better foundation IMO, singing along to a desperate backing track without the ability to incur the vocals with any passion or meaning seems a wasted opportunity. It's backs up my feeling of the current state of the pop scene, dull & one dimensional regardless of substance, it's fast food music relating to serious issues.

I would personally prefer Sleaford mods singing the lyrics with their unimportant, unintentional chart grabbing backing track.

The track is woeful IMO.
Chandelier?

It’s a song about addiction, coping mechanisms, desperation... sung with huge intensity. The accompanying video of the young girl dancing around a slightly desolate looking flat adds a performance-art dimension to it.

Regardless of whether it resonates with you personally, how you can find it woeful is, quite frankly, beyond me.

It is heartening how many of these turn into grumpy old men threads.

Maybe it is true that we all turn into our parents eventually.

I imagine many people said much the same about Kate Bush when she released Wuthering Heights. For what it’s worth I’ve used two of her songs Chandelier and Titanium to great effect with young musicians. They’re well crafted pop songs with very successful melodic hooks. She makes a bit of a performance of it. Dancing around being enigmatic, quite a lot of similarity to Kate Bush.

Comparing her to Ian Dury is like comparing apples and oranges. You need to think of a contemperous disposable pop act, ABBA maybe, but I think there’s a bit more performance art and narrative. The videos are at least slightly interesting in a wtf is going on way.

When I moaned about Florence & The Machine's over-produced and compressed output being a criminal waste of an extraordinary voice, my son and his partner politely changed the subject. Reminded me of the cartoon where, leaving a surgery, the wife says: 'Well, that's a relief, dear. It's not dementia - you're just a daft old git.'

I imagine many people said much the same about Kate Bush when she released Wuthering Heights. For what it’s worth I’ve used two of her songs Chandelier and Titanium to great effect with young musicians. They’re well crafted pop songs with very successful melodic hooks. She makes a bit of a performance of it. Dancing around being enigmatic, quite a lot of similarity to Kate Bush.

Comparing her to Ian Dury is like comparing apples and oranges. You need to think of a contemperous disposable pop act, ABBA maybe, but I think there’s a bit more performance art and narrative. The videos are at least slightly interesting in a wtf is going on way.
When Sia releases a solo effort worthy of the wonderfully performed & crafted brilliance of running up that hill I will become a fan., until then it's just pop pap to my ears, no beter than the rest of the current pop scene.
Give me Grimes any day of the week.
Reminds me of the Birmingham Powerhouse on a Wednesday night back in the 80's :)

When Sia releases a solo effort worthy of the wonderfully performed & crafted brilliance of running up that hill I will become a fan.

One man’s meat and all that, given a choice of having my teeth pulled out without anaesthetic or listening to the collected works of Kate Bush would be a tricky one for me.

Did you listen to the cello Chandelier? It’s a lovely pop song. Not high art, not art music, but a damn good pop song. I think as we all head towards becoming grumpy old men, I think we tend to write off the music of the young at our peril. I quite imagine she’ll end up in that quirky, edgy category that Bjork and indeed the annoyingly squeaky Kate Bush inhabit.

Absolutely beautiful song. Zero7 at there best IMHO.

Couldn't agree more. One 'the' albums that I return to time and again and not just because i have so many fond memories tied up with it. When I found out that Sia was the same Sia from this Zero 7 album I couldn't quite believe it was actually the same artist / vocalist - I mean that Christmas song is the biggest pile of durge I have heard in a long time, how did it even get released! And yet on Simple Things she was sublime - Destiny being my stand out track

advertisement

Back