advertisement

Should Ched Evans be playing professional soccer?

He did the crime. He did the time. Unlike a doctor or teacher he has no access to vulnerable people at work, only 22 other men in a field and a few more standing around. If his employer thinks he can still do his job, then that's that. Nothing more to say, move on.

Criminals need to return to meaningful employment doing whatever legal job they do, provided no vulnerable people are put at risk. Otherwise they have to remain as criminals.

He did the crime. He did the time. Unlike a doctor or teacher he has no access to vulnerable people at work, only 22 other men in a field and a few more standing around. If his employer thinks he can still do his job, then that's that. Nothing more to say, move on.

He has not accepted the fact that he is in the wrong. He behaviour was reprehensible and he thinks he was hard done by. The guy is a disgrace. If I touched a woman at work when it was inappropriate I would be sacked and not allowed to continue in my profession. This applies to most jobs I know. Never mind touching, he raped a woman for God's sake.

What was MOST disgusting, though, was the treatment of the poor girl by some neanderthal members of the North Wales low-life community; she had to effectively enter a life under the same conditions as someone in the Witness Protection Programme.

Even so, this didn't stop some tabloid pond-life trying to break her new identity.

THIS, in my opinion, is the shocking part of this case.

Had he done a couple of years for manslaughter or death by dangerous driving, what would the Great Unwashed think then ?

Cheers, H

He has not accepted the fact that he is in the wrong. He behaviour was reprehensible and he thinks he was hard done by. The guy is a disgrace. If I touched a woman at work when it was inappropriate I would be sacked and not allowed to continue in my profession. This applies to most jobs I know. Never mind touching, he raped a woman for God's sake.
He doesn't have to admit he was wrong, the courts have done that. He wasn't at work when he raped the woman. His job doesn't involve being with vulnerable women.
He hasn't though, has he? He still has 3 years of his sentence to run.
OK, so he's out on licence or a suspended sentence. Changes nothing, sentencing is for the courts to decide. If he gets so much as an unpaid parking ticket, he's going back in. Meanwhile he is complying with court requirements, they haven't said that people are at risk if he carries on being paid too much money to kick a pig's bladder round a field.

Ched Evans shouldn't be playing professional football because (a) he still hasn't admitted the rape despite the fact that a jury found him guilty (b) he didn't serve his full time of five years and so has got off lightly and (c) if he returns to football he will be a role model for young men.

I completely agree with what TV pundit Charlie Webster said on Newsnight about the case. She was questioned in-depth and hard by presenter Emily Maitlis. You can watch and read about it here.

Charlie Webster was a patron of Sheffield United and has now resigned. I admire her and Jessica Ennis-Hill.

The Professional Footballers' Association, Sheffield United and Greg Dyke, the Chairman of the FA, don't give a ****. This is what you can expect from a lot of the football establishment.

Jack

The attitude in the media towards rapists is quite inconsistent - for example the aforementioned Charlie Webster's excitement at meeting Mike Tyson, or the amount of people in the media that have supported child rapist Roman Polanski.

No.

His crime is too serious for him to be allowed a public stage where he represents a football team.

I would not be allowed to continue my job and I am not high profile.

He doesn't have to admit he was wrong, the courts have done that. He wasn't at work when he raped the woman. His job doesn't involve being with vulnerable women.
If I were running football, or a football club, then I'd not have him anywhere near. Not because of the conviction, or even his protestation of innocence, but because of the attitude the accepted facts and his continued behaviour reveal.

And, FWIW, his job gives him access to vulnerable women.

Paul

I'd suggest his agent starts contacting clubs on the European mainland as soon as possible.

There really are some sick people out there though.

When people read the appeal link posted earlier the background and detail to the case make for interesting reading.
The 'rapist' is pleading innocence and refusing to offer any remorse as would anyone still in the process of appeal.

What has happened since the verdict to the 'victim' and Innes is extremely unpleasant.

There are some sick b astards about.

I'd suggest his agent starts contacting clubs on the European mainland as soon as possible.

There really are some sick people out there though.

Italy perhaps being a great place to start - perhaps some tipsfrom berlusconi

the thing I wonder about is why he hasnt admitted his guilt - you all seem to assume its cos he is arrogant but could it be that he genuinley feels he is innocent - would be an easy out and huge career benefit to be contrite and the hoohar would have been minimal

perhaps crediting him with more sense than the average footballer there though

Tony, that has very little to do with football (or it's followers), and everything to do with some men's view of women.

Agreed. It is the desire to humiliate and subject women to their control that I really find so incomprehensible and disgusting. And let's be very clear this attitude is not limited to football players.

Ched Evans shouldn't be playing professional football because (a) he still hasn't admitted the rape despite the fact that a jury found him guilty
<provocation mode> Is it sure that he was 100% guilty ? </provocation mode>. As far as I know, the judges are in charge of finding this out, not the public. As a result, I don't think we are in a position to expect from him any confession of any sort. Why would we ?

The girl was 17 IIRC. It wasn't a 9-year old choirboy. It's good in neither case but there is a difference.

"In March 1977, film director Roman Polanski was arrested and charged in Los Angeles with five offenses against Samantha Gailey, a 13-year-old girl – rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under 14, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor."

OK, I lost on that one. Still it doesn't convince me about Joe Public's expectation to judge a person a second time after justice already did it.

Have a problem with the fact that the player was released early ? Work your way into justice/politics and do what it takes to change the rules.

Have a problem with the fact that a player can play again ? See above.

Some people expect judges to hide problematic/dangerous people behind bars with bread and water for the rest of their lives.

My opinion on this is fairly in accordance with steve67's so for more information, read his posts.

advertisement

Back