advertisement

Should Ched Evans be playing professional soccer?

Rubbish , all of the london centric media don't know were Sheffield is or have a stand named after her .

Not all perhaps true. I know some journalists and they know where Sheffield is and they did cover the naming of the stand.

Of course Ched Evans should and is allowed to play professional football as he has done his time. However with a lot of professionals (and potential professionals) desperate for a chance to play who don't have a criminal record, what would most teams do? Pick the players who plays or the convicted criminal who plays? Especially as he isn't in the Messi/David Batty class.

If you don't understand why teams don't want bad publicity have a look at a news paper and read it from the back page. Now do you see how big football is? Teams want to play on "community", "family friendly" etc. This doesn't always extend to the subtleties of second chances unless it is for certain types of problem like gambling or drink addiction. I think these are, quite rightly, seen as lesser problems than rape.

As for football fans all being racist and sexist........you should get to a game and you will hear a range of views and happily for me mostly civilised.

I think it's a very difficult case - yes he's been convicted of rape and personally I wouldn't want a convicted rapist playing for my club. However from what I've read of the case it really doesn't sound totally clear cut and I can see why he thinks himself innocent.

There's a lesson to be learned here for any young man out on the pull.

If you're drunk/she's drunk give her a wide berth.

I'd be very surprised if any of the heterosexual males here haven't indeed engaged in sexual intercourse with a young lady after pulling on a night out-in all probability both drunk.

In this case she was aware enough to choose to get in the cab back to the hotel, to choose a pepperoni pizza rather than a quarto etc etc.

To me it seems a very harsh verdict and after doing his time he should be allowed back.

If you're a young lad on a night out it sounds like you'd need to get a witnessed breathaliser test from any young lady you wanted to try your luck with.

If I was convicted of rape I would be struck off the medical register as well as go to prison. I'm unsure whether I would ever be allowed to practice medicine again. This may also be true of lawyers, I don't know how the SRA views such things. A pal of mine got a warning from the GMC after being convicted of drink driving.
If the FA were so keen to keep it as clean as a decent profession perhaps they should have rules which covered this sort of thing rather than leaving it up to the player and club. They are keen to ban players and managers for all sorts of 'bringing the game into disrepute' charges. It's a shame they haven't got the balls to ban players after serious criminal activity.

Evans is in the middle of a shit storm of his own making. But it illustrates all that wrong with our juvenile democracy dictated to by powerful individuals with thier own agenda talking crap to further their own self interest and a vapid sensationalist media only interested in the newsworthy angle.

This is a time when we need our leaders to stand up and say.

Young man who did wrong seeks to rehabilitate himself after serving his time. That is it. Now STFU. Ffs stop giving me your hidden agendas and facile complicating arguements. Thousands of people are released from prison every year and they all deserve a chance to be rehabilitated in any way they can do within the law.

That he is going back to football is totally appropriate for the scummy business that it is (I refuse to call it a Profession).
The game is run by chavs, employing chavs, for the entertainment of chavs.

I'm looking forward to the World Cup when their corruption will give no-one problems but themselves. Did they think the day of actually having to play in Qatar would never come? Maybe the people that took the brown envelopes of cash will be long vanished by then.

Football is a sexist, racist, homophobic, corrupt embarrassment, from top to bottom.

It's odd how football has gone to the dogs. When I was a lad I delivered the newspaper to a man u and england player who lived in a house just like ours. He was a gent. Times have changed.

Certainly has, as a very young lad I'd often be out shopping with me mum on a Saturday morning about 30 miles from Maine Road and we'd stop for a chat with Joe Mercer who's son owned a local butchers. Great fella. Football has indeed changed.
( He was Man City's manager at the time )

It is a great game, needs to think about changing its world governing body. i.e. FIFA. Boxing has several Orgs running it. Football needs to clean its self up.

Don't some sports bodies have morality / ethics clauses in player's employment contracts? Something as simple as that may well be needed but who then runs the sport, is it lawyers or old boys?

The issue remains, this man thought it was ok to have sex with someone who was too drunk to know what was going on. And he still thinks he has none nothing wrong or unreasonable. Yes he has served a sentence but any rehabilitation starts with acknowledging the error. He doesn't, so no rehabilitation, so no moving forward and no new contract to carry on as if nothing has changed.

Just tell me why I or anyone else should 'forgive' this man or believe he should be accepted back?

and as usual we are reminded that people who think they are anonymous believe they can say obscene and violent things. Appalling!

james

advertisement

Back