advertisement

Shahinian Compass / Speaker Isolation

Have played around with the feet on my Compasses! To add context, I bought these secondhand and I did notice that at least one of the plastic feet was "not quite as it should be"! Anyway, it wasn't really a problem until I tried sitting the speakers on granite plinths, where I noticed quite a pronounced "rock".
Called John at Pear to discuss replacements and isolation etc. Granite plinths not recommended, but up to me! Nearly ordered new feet, but was from the USA, so decided to "do my own thing".
I thought to use softer rubber feet or spikes. So, I removed all the existing feet that had been fitted differently over the years and instead, fitted M8 inserts.
Then bought softer rubber feet and spikes, to compare.
The granite plinths did not really work, so speakers are back directly on the carpet, with concrete floor underneath.
The rubber feet immediately "tightened" the bass up and even better, very little resonance heard through the house.
The spikes give more bass and started hearing rattles again in some wall cabinets etc.
Rubber feet are definitely the best. I still think I have too much bass at times, on some recordings, but it's far better than the original feet and certainly much better than with spikes! It is more controlled!
Hi John, how did you remove the plastic feet from the Compasses? I do not think they are screwed. Could they be glued?

I once had a similar problem as you. One of the feet was kind of loose. My dealer fixed this while doing a tweeter upgrade. So everything is tight now and I do not want to do any damage. But I really would like to try isolation solutions for the Compasses. What kind of rubber feet did you use?

the iso puck 76 is brilliant , the speaker just sits on it. no screwing stuff in. makes a big upgrade
Thanks for that, hifinutt. Sounds good to me. I would like to avoid fidddling with the Shahinian feet. So you recommend the iso puck on a suspended wood floor under the plastic feet?

I also read the addis pads thread. Surely interesting, but probably not applicable for the Shahinians. If I got this right they are supposed to be put directly under the speaker cabinet. Under the feet this solution would be not stable enough.

Yes hard to say but i use my verity audio on iso 76 on a wood plinth which means it can be easily moved .will do a pic sometime

Hi John, how did you remove the plastic feet from the Compasses? I do not think they are screwed. Could they be glued?

I once had a similar problem as you. One of the feet was kind of loose. My dealer fixed this while doing a tweeter upgrade. So everything is tight now and I do not want to do any damage. But I really would like to try isolation solutions for the Compasses. What kind of rubber feet did you use?

Hello @FranzD
They were glued in, but luckily, not too much that a pair of mole grips on the feet managed to remove most and I just drilled out any plastic that remained in the wooden speaker base.
I looked to see what feet they were, but I bought off ebay and the seller is no longer there, but were dia. 30mm x 40mm long with M8 male thread and were classed as vibration absorbing feet.
I managed to find M8 metal inserts also, that were the right size to use the existing feet mounting holes and screwed them in.
I used a few large dia. washers to just give an extra few mm in height to give better access for yhe speaker cables on a thick pile carpet.
Still in use to this day and sound lovely. Plenty of bass, but controlled now and no boom, unless turned up loud, but now were in an end of terrace house, I cannot turn too loud, but still play at level more than enough for me and neighbour has said he's never heard anything through the wall yet! Using an Exposure 3510 integrated amp now, which works well with the Compasses.

These aren’t marketed as hifi accessorie but I fitted some to the bottom of some speaker stands.

Thanks, I hope they work for you. Unfortunately, not applicable to my speakers, as these things have to be screwed in. Not possible with the Compasses. I am aware that this can be solved (as johnacurtis has done), but I would prefer to avoid this type of intervention.

Thanks, I hope they work for you. Unfortunately, not applicable to my speakers, as these things have to be screwed in. Not possible with the Compasses. I am aware that this can be solved (as johnacurtis has done), but I would prefer to avoid this type of intervention.
Agreed. I didn’t want to modify my compasses in this way. It was a suggestion for anyone who was comitted to the idea of removing the existing feet.

When I had Shahinian Arcs I remember reading an article about some someone who had designed a spiked frame for them to sit on, but it involved removing the existing plastic feet with a lump hammer. I didn’t follow that advice.

regards

Kevin

Hello @FranzD
They were glued in, but luckily, not too much that a pair of mole grips on the feet managed to remove most and I just drilled out any plastic that remained in the wooden speaker base.
Ok, I suppose this intervention is irreversible? The feet will probably be damaged.

Agreed. I didn’t want to modify my compasses in this way. It was a suggestion for anyone who was comitted to the idea of removing the existing feet.

When I had Shahinian Arcs I remember reading an article about some someone who had designed a spiked frame for them to sit on, but it involved removing the existing plastic feet with a lump hammer. I didn’t follow that advice.

regards

Kevin
A lump hammer? 😯 Johnacurtis used mole grips. A slightly more civilised approach maybe. But not so much difference in the results possibly. But in case I go for the iso-pucks I will have to remove the feet anyway. Will do some more research.

Yes hard to say but i use my verity audio on iso 76 on a wood plinth which means it can be easily moved .will do a pic sometime
Thanks, I saw your picture in this other thread. https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...akers-anyone-using-these.279183/#post-4978118 So, you use them directly under the speaker cabinet avoiding the feet (or are these supposed to be spikes)? Looks good, but not possible under the Compasses, I am afraid. Their bottom side is ... err ... different. Among other things the speaker cable has to be plugged in on the bottom of the speakers.

Ok, I suppose this intervention is irreversible? The feet will probably be damaged.
Not irreversible as such, because I only cleaned the debris out to the original hole size. The M8 inserts self cut into the bore, but can be wound back out to leave the original bore size, albeit with some scoring. Therefore, original feet can be purchased and installed again if wanted.

Hi, I use the primacoustic RX series with my Arcs on a suspended wooden floor. Brilliant, but not cheap. Pick the size and orientation that works for your speaker and room.
Hi, I use the primacoustic things under my Compasses on a suspended wooden floor for some weeks now. I am not sure yet. They deliver tremendous presence, clarity and dynamics. Make the music jump at you. While this is welcome for some (darker) recordings, it is a bit too much für already bright, detailed recordings. Especially when cranked up it gets shouty and unpleasant with most of my stuff

I suppose they do what they are supposed to do. After all they have been designed for studio monitors. I will try to find a way to tame the effect. But I am afraid they will have to go.

Hi, I use the primacoustic things under my Compasses on a suspended wooden floor for some weeks now. I am not sure yet. They deliver tremendous presence, clarity and dynamics. Make the music jump at you. While this is welcome for some (darker) recordings, it is a bit too much für already bright, detailed recordings. Especially when cranked up it gets shouty and unpleasant with most of my stuff

I suppose they do what they are supposed to do. After all they have been designed for studio monitors. I will try to find a way to tame the effect. But I am afraid they will have to go.
Up to you of course. All they do is isolate from the floor. What your describing sounds like the room.

You could take a look at the new Stack Audio AUVA's. A set of the EQ's could sit below the turntable and a set of AUVA's for your speakers in your choice of diameter would screw into existing threaded holes on the base of your speakers. I am currently using a set of each, early impressions are very good but I have only had them a few days so far, so just a little too early to give a detailed review myself.
I also have a DV XX2mk2 cartridge, from my own personal experience it only begins to open up at around 30 hours or so. It needs about 80 to 100 hours to fully open up. It is a fantastic cartridge IMHO and better than the 20x2L that I had previously.
If you feel that it is creating excessive bass then perhaps the VTA needs adjustment as tail up slightly or down slightly will tune it to sound the best overall. Anyway, hope you get everything resolved to your liking in due course.

Last edited:
Have a look at these...http://www.vibrapod.com/
Ah use them under each corner of my Ardens, both the isolators and the cones (the cones inverted so that the ball bearings point downwards) The Vibrapods come in different weights depending on speaker or component weigh.Ah tend to be sceptical about stuff like this but these pods definitely work well…IMO…
😎👍

I would play with the position of them first rather than buying bases/feet pull them further out into the room.

Pete

advertisement

Back