advertisement

Router dust- urgh.

@James

hi again/ thanks for the dust collector post, idea. Just seen this post (got a few days off now to pick this thread up).

Interesting- & I was aware of cyclone types, & in fact made a diy one ~9 yrs ago, which worked ok with a household vac. But didn't know an affordable one like this has been on the market. Food for thought. And if -you- use this.. I'm all ears.

So what vac do you use with this collector then, a "shop vac" workshop no frills type?

Thanks, Capt

@James another Q I'm afraid..

Recently binge watching yachting YouTube 'channels' (vg btw! calmly addictive) including xyz boat diy jobs.. a thought occured with you in mind: I was watching one chap cut large holes in his mahogany panels (to place placcy square vents over the hole) using a -big- holesaw drill bit. I mean as big as 5" it seemed. Really fast, minimal dust.

Wouldn't this be ideal for your smaller speaker holes-? I didn't know holesaw bits went up to this size myself.
Maybe you've considered this method I don't know.

Capt

@James

Wouldn't this be ideal for your smaller speaker holes-? I didn't know holesaw bits went up to this size myself.
Maybe you've considered this method I don't know.

Capt
Personally, I wouldn't. First of all, I always mount my drivers so their flanges are flush with the baffle. That means you will need a router and accurately dialed-in jig to make that first cut. Second, even if you forego flush-mounting and assuming you can find the right-sized holesaws, you will need a fairly grunty drill. I used holesaws only on the bracing panels in my designs, like these ...

ABLVV84poE5dAoO9Yh0mKU7-DFxFa0lV2rYvc1qNDe86R9TtwLo87SIjXGC8Pdz7RSvcw9E1ViIZfIm53WNvcsrPKa5HyjY0CrbBfeSx5_ol1IWwoSelyFF906eQozci4Bx8_7HxDpgIv3x7FsH8C8uo2Wsd=w800-h531-s-no

@James thanks again for your input.

I'll definitely consider a standard vac + the Triton collector. I have my household VAX that sucks hard.. could buy another on ebay.

Considering these circle cuts we do remove a good whack of mdf (ply in my case), would you think the Festool C15 would need the extra Collector as well? The main thing these bring to the party, is avoiding vast majority of removed XYZ actually even getting to the vac's filter.

Btw tell me, what width straight bit do you use for your baffle circle cuts? 18mm mdf I'd assume. I use a 12.7mm in my DeWalt 621, as it kinda gives me more 'surity' but this sizeable width does mean alot of ply removed, so a heck of alot of dust each time.

Thanks, Capt

Crikey your mdf internal frames even have chamfered insides to the holes! A huge ammount of work they must take for each speaker. You need a to train a robot James.

Capt

Btw tell me, what width straight bit do you use for your baffle circle cuts? 18mm mdf I'd assume. I use a 12.7mm in my DeWalt 621, as it kinda gives me more 'surity' but this sizeable width does mean alot of ply removed, so a heck of alot of dust each time.
I generally use an 18 or 19mm straight bit on 1/2" shank. These are wide enough for the initial rebate cut, and sturdy enough to plunge a double layer of MDF. With vacuum extraction, my operation is virtually dustless.

@James thanks for reply above (didn't see it at the time/ just seen it). Hmm.. I was hoping you'd say smaller than my 12.7mm W bit (1/4" shank) I tend to use on my DW 621. 18mm?? so wide? was unexpected.

Ok to update: just had a week off to start the project. Totally busy between my thread & now, so could only plan.

I built a new bench (1st added another layer of sound-plasterboard onto this wall). Alot of work! This bench specifically for my dust-extraction router 3x jobs. First of which: circle cuts in 9mm birch ply, with the DW 621.

Before spending (alot) on a Festool extractor, I needed to test how well the DW router's port works. So I bought a cheapo Titan vac, found my DIY cyclone collector (thought I'd binned it).. & 1st test results into scrap & 12mm mdf:

Fair, but not ideal: I defo get good suction (1.3kw) but, debris still left in the routed channel. I'd say half of debris-dust is sucked out, but half remains. Partial success. The DeWalt area around the bit, seems a bit 'open'/ compromised to me.

0-BB02620-1092-40-E5-98-DE-73-F1-E0-FA7-F56.jpg

Channel clear -only once- I take hose off the the DW, & manually clear it after each pass..

9-F907668-6183-4-B39-ADFD-652518210-B47.jpg

Thanks, Capt

I think you will always get some dust stuck in the grove, try a slower speed and a shallower depth of cut.

I have a Festool extractor and a Parkside vac, both suck about the same but the Parkside was only £80 the Festool is about £500, both have power sockets and come on with the plugged in tool, the only difference is the Festool has variable speed.

Pete

I have used routers, sanders etc inside my grade 2 listed houses in the past and used Festool large dust extractors that have medical grade micro filters etc. They seemed to do the job and fairly quiet in operation, might be worth exploring.

...and a medical grade price.

I think you will always get some dust stuck in the grove, try a slower speed and a shallower depth of cut.

I have a Festool extractor and a Parkside vac, both suck about the same but the Parkside was only £80 the Festool is about £500, both have power sockets and come on with the plugged in tool, the only difference is the Festool has variable speed.

Pete

Hi Pete,

yup that ~16mm deep cut you see above, in the 18mm ply test.. is after 4x passes. Not one huage deep pass.

Each pass leaves it half full of dustl whether the speed on 4 or 6 speed. 6 is near max. i wasn't expecting this. I thought the decent suction would clear each 4mm pass free of dust. The MDF test piece was worst.

I'm hoping James might shed some light on the 621 plastic guard area around the bit. Maybe he has a better type.

Thanks, Capt

I'm hoping James might shed some light on the 621 plastic guard area around the bit. Maybe he has a better type.
Hi Captain

Do you have part 50 in this list?

88988.png

That is a clear piece of plastic that improves the seal, especially if you use a cutter/shank size to narrow the gap.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
James

Hi Captain

Do you have part 50 in this list?

88988.png

That is a clear piece of plastic that improves the seal, especially if you use a cutter/shank size to narrow the gap.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
James

Hi James.

Aha, indeed not/ I do not have that disc! As you may see I have 49, bigger clear plastic 'guide' section, which this 50 might clip down into I might assume.

That's fab, if I can obtain one. Whilst there, remind me what thickness your perspex diy baseplate? I'm gonna nick your idea if ok, just hope you don't have a patent on it!

Great help, thank you. Capt

Hi James.

Aha, indeed not/ I do not have that disc! As you may see I have 49, bigger clear plastic 'guide' section, which this 50 might clip down into I might assume.

That's fab, if I can obtain one. Whilst there, remind me what thickness your perspex diy baseplate? I'm gonna nick your idea if ok, just hope you don't have a patent on it!

Great help, thank you. Capt

Yes, part #50 clips into 49. Hope you can acquire one.

I used 4mm thick polycarbonate sheet for my jig. No patent, so feel free to copy away!

Yes, part #50 clips into 49. Hope you can acquire one.

I used 4mm thick polycarbonate sheet for my jig. No patent, so feel free to copy away!

Good progress: got 3mm perspex, but forgot it needed to overlap (RHS here) to fix underneath, onto the bars. Idiot. Hence my funny diagonal baseplate! And the cap thingy bought too- invaluable info.

James any reason to enlarge my routered (12.7mm) hole, do you think? (Exact mockup of baseplate in background) IE do you think the vacuum extraction, is compromised via this small hole.. as opposed to your enlarged poly sheet cutout area, around the bit?

Thanks for your tips & pics. Capt

F2416181-9383-4-E7-B-8327-8987-B6-D0465-E.jpg

B884192-D-8-C70-4-A1-E-A34-B-02-BF99917-C8-B.jpg

You can’t suck dust out of a blind hole you need airflow to move the dust, a bigger hole in the base plate might help but too bigger hole might slowdown the air flow reducing the extraction.

Spiral cutters will pull the dust up out of the cut, I use solid carbide slot drills they are available in imperial sizes.

Pete

You can’t suck dust out of a blind hole you need airflow to move the dust, a bigger hole in the base plate might help but too bigger hole might slowdown the air flow reducing the extraction.

Spiral cutters will pull the dust up out of the cut, I use solid carbide slot drills they are available in imperial sizes.

Pete

Yup, I see your point now- once the bit is down, cutting, I don't think there's enough gap to aid the dust to suck up as is.

Ok need to holesaw a 2" enlargement then. Spiral cutters eh? I do need a flat bottom of the cut.. but see the rough idea. I hope I'm ok for dust tho, once I fettle this hole bigger.

Thanka, Capt

Hi Jag, Festool was one name that has sprung to mind in fact. But I'm a total newbie with regards to what type: have you a model number you've used, that you can recommend?

I have seen one, a portable wheeled box thing, someone had in a big timber workshop.. but I didnt see it working, or remember what use he had specifically for it. He did wax on about it though as very good.

Thanks, Capt
I have a CTL Mini, and I find it very good. Festool is keen on dust collection, and their tools in general seem to be very good in this regard.

I have a CTL Mini, and I find it very good. Festool is keen on dust collection, and their tools in general seem to be very good in this regard.

Yup a pro carpenter near me here first showed me his mini festool whatnot on wheels, & swore blind by them. My cheapo 1.3kw Titan stopgap tho, sucks like a goddam whore.. & 2 yr guarantee I may just see how she goes!

Huge step forward though, after a ton of workshop work & rejig. Grateful for replies chaps.

Capt

James any reason to enlarge my routered (12.7mm) hole, do you think? (Exact mockup of baseplate in background) IE do you think the vacuum extraction, is compromised via this small hole.. as opposed to your enlarged poly sheet cutout area, around the bit?
Yes, plenty. Along with what Pete said, a larger elongated hole like mine in post #32 will give you a wider range of cutting diameter and use of bigger bits.

advertisement

Back