advertisement

Router dust- urgh.

This is what I'm talking about.

DW621_F5.jpg

Properly adjusted and attached to a high-flow vacuum, dust and chips generated from side cuts are cleanly whisked away. Well, mostly, if the extraction point is positioned much closer than the example below.

DW621_F11.jpg

Hi there James,

thanks for adding those pics for the thread. Damn. Wouldn't be able to use such an attatchment to my 621. I was really hoping it would be a slim something, but I couldn't quite imagine such a thing even so.

The problem is I cut within the wood much further in than that 'edging' photo example (a circular speaker hole, for eg, 10.5" diameter) meaning that attatchment would prevent me going round. My other job too (tube vent holes, again way over within the sheet of ply) similar issue: that rather bulky attatchment would only be good for edging, using the router at max 3" inside of any edge or so. I don't use my 621 for edging.

It's useful though, as an idea: maybe I could make some kind of underneath-baseplate-attatchment, with a side port hole.. for my roundover edging router. Quite a feat though to fashion something, & weight would pull it 'over' the edge, meaning using it on a router, might be very awkward & a huge pickle.

Appreciated, Capt

I too use a Festool suction unit along a Festool router. Does clear a lot of dust out the way! Big investment, but pays long term!

Hi Paul, thanks for contributing.

Could you give any model number of the vac unit you seem to be recommending ?

One thing that I've just thought of, is the problem of marrying the diameter of the hose.. to say my 621 top turret port hole. Would it be true that each mfr makes to their own 'specific' fit.. to promote only their own tools being able to be used I fear/ wonder-?

I don't have the huge money to throw at a new set of say festool routers, specific to a festool vac. That's an extra £2k.

I was hoping you see to buy a vac unit, & use it with my routers: the 621 has a top port. But others don't have any port, so I need to consider a small 'router station' or 'router table' if you will, one made for each router & bit set within.

So a new bench with series of small 'stations'.. with a port hole behind: then I attatch the one (maybe festool) vac hose, onto each port in turn. I've only formed this vague idea/ design principle, during this thread, such as the information has been very useful so far.

Thanks, Capt

Hi Paul, thanks for contributing.

Could you give any model number of the vac unit you seem to be recommending ?

One thing that I've just thought of, is the problem of marrying the diameter of the hose.. to say my 621 top turret port hole. Would it be true that each mfr makes to their own 'specific' fit.. to promote only their own tools being able to be used I fear/ wonder-?

I don't have the huge money to throw at a new set of say festool routers, specific to a festool vac. That's an extra £2k.

I was hoping you see to buy a vac unit, & use it with my routers: the 621 has a top port. But others don't have any port, so I need to consider a small 'router station' or 'router table' if you will, one made for each router & bit set within.

So a new bench with series of small 'stations'.. with a port hole behind: then I attatch the one (maybe festool) vac hose, onto each port in turn. I've only formed this vague idea/ design principle, during this thread, such as the information has been very useful so far.

Thanks, Capt
Hi Capt.

The Festool dust extraction unit I have is a CT15E. I find it excellent and have had it a few years now, just need to buy the internal bags and change them every now and again.

Luckily I use it with Festool tools.

You’re quite right about linking up the suction to other units, but I think you can buy adapters depending on what you are trying to link up.

I use a DEwalt bed saw with this extraction unit, luckily the adapter came with the saw!

Hope this helps.

I've this for my Makita 1/2".
Don't use it much as it upsets the balance with the hoses hanging off to the side.
The DeWalt ones that extract vertically look a better proposition.

The problem is I cut within the wood much further in than that 'edging' photo example (a circular speaker hole, for eg, 10.5" diameter) meaning that attatchment would prevent me going round. My other job too (tube vent holes, again way over within the sheet of ply) similar issue: that rather bulky attatchment would only be good for edging, using the router at max 3" inside of any edge or so. I don't use my 621 for edging.
How are you cutting holes for drivers? That is one operation that the DW-621 can deliver almost dust-free. Here is how I do it.

Set circle-cutting jig to cut the flange rebate first. The turret vacuum extraction point will remove dust and rotate 360-degrees with each pass. Then reset to cut hole. When there is just 1mm or so depth left, cut full depth but leave a couple of "tabs" to secure the centre cut-out. Punch out the cut-out piece and trim with chisel or scalpel. You'll need a sacrificial substrate to take the break-through, but that will also form a barrier to dust getting everywhere.

Experiment whether clockwise or anti-clockwise removes dust more efficiently. Shallow passes repeated many times is better than a single deep pass.

How are you cutting holes for drivers? That is one operation that the DW-621 can deliver almost dust-free. Here is how I do it.

Set circle-cutting jig to cut the flange rebate first. The turret vacuum extraction point will remove dust and rotate 360-degrees with each pass. Then reset to cut hole. When there is just 1mm or so depth left, cut full depth but leave a couple of "tabs" to secure the centre cut-out. Punch out the cut-out piece and trim with chisel or scalpel. You'll need a sacrificial substrate to take the break-through, but that will also form a barrier to dust getting everywhere.

Experiment whether clockwise or anti-clockwise removes dust more efficiently. Shallow passes repeated many times is better than a single deep pass.

Hi James, actually this is how I have been using the 621.. but outside -without- a vac in the top port.

Good so we're on the same page, with the same router too. Thanks, you've at the least convinced me that this one job (of 4 more still to consider) can be made dust-free, enough to do -inside- with suitable vac hose of course. I think I did try once adding a shop-vac iirc like so, & did find these "circles" & "ovals" debris was sucked up pretty well. So with a better vac.. likely very well. Ace: that's one job sorted as it were. And my 3rd most unpleasant/ dusty too.

If I can get a plan for my 1st, & 2nd (if not for my 4th & 5th) nastiest jobs via this thread.. I'd be really pleased as punch tbh. The 1st/ worst being my fingerjoint job. And 2nd worst, is my roundover edging job. Both I take router-onto-wood.

Thanks most helpful, Capt

Hi Capt.

The Festool dust extraction unit I have is a CT15E. I find it excellent and have had it a few years now, just need to buy the internal bags and change them every now and again.

Luckily I use it with Festool tools.

You’re quite right about linking up the suction to other units, but I think you can buy adapters depending on what you are trying to link up.

I use a DEwalt bed saw with this extraction unit, luckily the adapter came with the saw!

Hope this helps.

Hi Paul, could I just pick up on this topic..

I've had a look at the CT15E & altho I've not got festool routers, I remember with my shop-vac I had once, that I used a 'cyclone' dust collection thingy midway between this & my router.

So, I really only need to plug the new vac system's hose, into my cyclone collector, & this stays put/ dead set for good.

Could you tell me the inside diameter of your CT15 hose?

Also, there's a plug socket on the front of the unit: I'm not familiar with the design idea with this. Now, looking at the festool Aussie youtube clip.. is the idea to negate the need for turning on the vac after turning on your tool (plugged into this socket)? And vice-versa, you need to only turn off the tool & the CT15 turns off automatically-?

Thanks, Capt

@James Tell me would you, how do you cut your smaller circles (rather than my 10" cutout, into my 9mm birch ply) ?

I'm trying to think how you do it considering the tiny radius you'd be dealing with (eg tweeter) & the router. Surely a different way than me, securing the cutout centre section down 1st (as you suggested/ the same way I do mine).

I've found this 621 port attatchment that slots in rather nicely, & seemlike it swivels conveniently round for my speaker cutout circles. You may be able to see my fkd thread too: one of my dead 621's.. I presume this can't be repaired.

Capt

2-C2-B4-B6-B-7-D6-C-48-D7-BA12-F15-F4-D22-D108.jpg

The motor works fine still, such a shame about the thread- I tightened too enthusiastically, I think, concerned my 45* bevel edge bit (to shape the inside of tube vent holes, on my amp cab ply back panels) might slip down/ bodge the job.

0919-ED00-02-AA-4742-AB09-BDEBA0-BB25-E7.jpg

Capt

)You can buy a new rotor for you router, bu looking at the price (£240) I don't think its worth it.

I bought a set of rubber extractor adaptors from amazon which allow me to attach my vac to allmost any thing.

Pete

Hi Paul, could I just pick up on this topic..

I've had a look at the CT15E & altho I've not got festool routers, I remember with my shop-vac I had once, that I used a 'cyclone' dust collection thingy midway between this & my router.

So, I really only need to plug the new vac system's hose, into my cyclone collector, & this stays put/ dead set for good.

Could you tell me the inside diameter of your CT15 hose?

Also, there's a plug socket on the front of the unit: I'm not familiar with the design idea with this. Now, looking at the festool Aussie youtube clip.. is the idea to negate the need for turning on the vac after turning on your tool (plugged into this socket)? And vice-versa, you need to only turn off the tool & the CT15 turns off automatically-?

Thanks, Capt
The internal diameter of the hose is 25mm, which fits over the output from the Festool tools and gives a nice tight fit.

The length of hose is just over 3 meters.

The smart part of the CT15 is that you can plug your tool into the plug on the CT15 housing, this allows the suction to start and stop when you switch on and off the tool in use.

There is a slight overrun of suction when the tool is switched off.

I can’t seem to upload pics. on here, just got to work it out I guess!

@James Tell me would you, how do you cut your smaller circles (rather than my 10" cutout, into my 9mm birch ply) ?

I'm trying to think how you do it considering the tiny radius you'd be dealing with (eg tweeter) & the router. Surely a different way than me, securing the cutout centre section down 1st (as you suggested/ the same way I do mine).
I made a continuously variable circle-cutting jig that has a range of pivot points. The cutting circle is selected with a combination of appropriate pivot point and sliding the trammel bars on the DW-621. I used a 3mm drill bit as the pivot. This is drilled through into a sacrificial base and tapped in until just enough is protruding to latch onto the pivot hole (at a height no more than the thickness of the jig base). Here are a couple of pictures, which should explain my cunning.

ABLVV86BS8hWdHEB0bEhJG_M5krTCzTJDpYqQmtvFovkUs_-QWWWJVQafMWLqa9IX5mfQKAG0rjw9ivNAD1WNB2APmYLNKuhd-pJr95KUePMSBo4T-ewRd2wsUPxuaJ4JJeMURd--ch78i3BgREUC_9ZBg76=w600-h402-s-no

Jig with transparent acrylic base.

ABLVV85RDGLcsCKHsWL_I1wUKKrOC07GFZl8ul_pk69gCsjRhShlb6ZPA8_S8V_eyRlk6JiDyr6b28OeP-lctI_m5yzyNfSkjJODboX3ogW0sXViDbhjhXPvf5ZvT_oWIm_OjfrrQPi9qiEAHypGYM8fI4kC=w600-h402-s-no

Installed on DW-621 and ready to cut a very small hole.

@James very useful pics & idea to consider there- thanks indeed.

I use a metal plate on the end of the two metal rods, that has a spike in.. which isn't -perfectly- flat to the router base, but I'm so used to it (muscle memory etc) that it's useable. But your design is alot better. Hmm. Is the oval shaped like so, with dust extraction in mind? Or maybe this is a dual use base with the oval as a follow-guide perhaps.

Muscle memory- as said I have 4 routers set firm with a bit in each. My 1/2" roundover one's actually a cheapo, but as it's only 20mins per cabinet to shape the edges, & the router base is ~adequate.. because I'm so used to it I just get covered in dust & oomska & put up with it. This edging though, is no.2 on the list of the nasties.

I don't quite know how I could do this job, inside, even if I did have say a festool C15 dust 'chum' (they remind me of Wall-E). This router doesn't have a vertical port, not that the edging job would be suitably dust-free at all even if it did.

Thanks, Capt

@James Is the oval shaped like so, with dust extraction in mind? Or maybe this is a dual use base with the oval as a follow-guide perhaps.
Yes, it is to cater for dust extraction. I have used that jig to cut holes and rebates to accommodate 92mm tweeters to 300mm woofers with virtually no stray dust. It is one of the more rewarding cuts I make with a router; dialing in the rebate depth and diameter just right for a flush fit.

Yes, it is to cater for dust extraction. I have used that jig to cut holes and rebates to accommodate 92mm tweeters to 300mm woofers with virtually no stray dust. It is one of the more rewarding cuts I make with a router; dialing in the rebate depth and diameter just right for a flush fit.

Aha now that is very good thinking then. You've got me mulling the idea of using my 2 bars, & fashioning something like this to attach on the end. You are a very clever man.

I'm already almost set on the idea of buying a festool C15, if only innitially to use with my my 621 router on the 9mm birch ply.
I had no knowledge at all, these type of vacs did this 'automatic turn on'/ off' thing with the router switch. Brill. This tips me to think I should crack on, & this the one to go for.

I'll need to do alot of careful workshop design, to redo one whole side of it for use with routers + the vac. A 2nd layer of 'soundproof' plasterboard the first job, onto one wall. Noise is a bit of a concern you see. Then a new bench to make.

Very grateful for the help chaps, Capt

that looks like typical person skin flakes, spider's oomska, & dandruff to me.

Shaved head/face, doubt its skin as it sits on corner of desk and active monitors are clean, static electricity is my guess - perhaps an expensive network switch will fix it ;)

I'm already almost set on the idea of buying a festool C15, if only innitially to use with my my 621 router on the 9mm birch ply.
I had no knowledge at all, these type of vacs did this 'automatic turn on'/ off' thing with the router switch. Brill. This tips me to think I should crack on, & this the one to go for.
Here is a cheaper option than a Festool C-15. It allows you to use an existing vacuum cleaner and offers double filtration as 99.X% of dust is collected in the bin, and the filter(s) on your vacuum traps the rest.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiY2FyYmF0ZWNcL2ltYWdlc1wvcHJvZGltZ1wvMzQzNTlfMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjcwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo3MDAsImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSIsIndpdGhvdXRFbmxhcmdlbWVudCI6dHJ1ZX19LCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjoiMzllOGVjNzkwMTgwMmYxNmQyNTc1Yjc5YWJlMzQ0OTdjMDY2OGNkMyJ9

I have used this for years and it is brilliant. The other thing about simultaneous switching is delay in the vacuum. Depending on how long the hose is, it could take a couple of seconds before dust is actively sucked up. I always prefer to start the vacuum first (foot switch - hands free) then spool up the router knowing that air is flowing freely. When stopping, I turn off the router first and allow the last of the dust to be sucked up before foot switching the vacuum.

advertisement

Back