advertisement

Revisiting the Zeta

Some interesting comments here. I haven't tried it with the original counterweight because I had the option of using one of our own decoupled counterweights, and my experience when developing the original skale weight was very very clearly a negative when it came to direct coupling the weight to the arm. But... that was with Linn arms, and I really should keep a more open mind so might have a comparison later in the week.

One of the areas that I really appreciate is how it deals with higher frequencies, cymbals and sibilance. They're not accentuated in the way that many other arms can be, but it's not dull in any way, and there's nothing missing in terms of detail. I'm thinking that some arms that are trying to achieve rigidity and detail recovery are shifting the resonances in to that area.

Your Thorens/Zeta set up looks great, I bet sounds it too. May I ask what material your plinth is made from (hollow box or layered wood of some sort)? It looks like you're using the 124 without the mushrooms and adjustment wheel, so is the 124 bolted hard down to the plinth?

The plinth is solid Pennsylvania slate. Two 2-inch slabs stacked one over the other. No mushrooms. The idea, when using a heavy slate plinth is to get a close tight coupling between the TD124 chassis and the slate. In my experience so far, the slate, as pictured gives a much quieter running TD124 than any other pinth I've tried to date.

I have tried a few different styled plinths. With fresh mushrooms and without.
Link here to some of my trials with alternate plinth designs...
http://www.theanalogdept.com/sc_plinths.htm

I'll try a few others as well.
I can say that for the TD124 there are some good reasons to use mushrooms in an open box design...but the snr really is lower in the slate according to my subjective experiences, etc.

Some interesting comments here. I haven't tried it with the original counterweight because I had the option of using one of our own decoupled counterweights, and my experience when developing the original skale weight was very very clearly a negative when it came to direct coupling the weight to the arm. But... that was with Linn arms, and I really should keep a more open mind so might have a comparison later in the week.

One of the areas that I really appreciate is how it deals with higher frequencies, cymbals and sibilance. They're not accentuated in the way that many other arms can be, but it's not dull in any way, and there's nothing missing in terms of detail. I'm thinking that some arms that are trying to achieve rigidity and detail recovery are shifting the resonances in to that area.

When I first heard this arm, and it was on one of my TD124's, I was impressed with how the arm seemed to get out of the way of the energetic flow of the music, in general terms. Other words...good visceral delivery in all frequencies. I did note that the upper frequencies were cleanly defined and prominent. But not out of proportion to the other frequencies.

Previously on that player I had been using a modified RB250 arm. And the Zeta seemed to be in a league or two higher. So I felt. And still do.

I have yet to disassemble this tonearm since I can't say that there is any reason for me to. The Incognito wires are the same guage from clips to plug.

I hear that the anti-skate mechanism is a bugger to correctly reassemble. At least I've read that around the web. (might have been on a thread at diy audio). So I'm lucky.

I would likely use this tonearm with a higher quality MC cartridge some time in the future. But for now I'm stuck with the DL103R pictured. I could imagine using one of the lesser Koetsu's on that deck and arm. A romantic sounding cartridge used on a romantic sounding deck. Should be a good match. Or I wonder if it would.
-Steve

If I were to say something negative about this arm it would be pointed at the mechanism within the counterweight. The designer put in some steel plates that function like cams to lock and unlock the counterweight over the stub shaft. These parts, I'm certain, will tend to vibrate with whatever vibes are traveling up the arm tube.

edit: another negative. The arm rest clip is a resiliant polymer that squeezes down slightly over the arm tube. While this is great for retaining the arm within its parked location, it can lead to some wild out-of-control-exits from the park condition if the operator does not have a secure hold on it...and if the cue lever is in the down position. Just sayin' be careful or the arm can 'spring' out of its parked condition.

Can't say I’ve noticed any issues regarding your first point, but agree totally with the second - especially when you factor in the Sondek’s “bouncing” as you push the arm out of the clip!

well ive just joined the zeta fan club chaps courtesy of steve (user510),thanks mate,im looking forward to trying it out :)

Mechanics were very good. They featured on PT Too's out here, possibly due to distributor handling both brands.

my zeta arrived from the states today,i would like to thank steve for a very easy transaction :)
i cant wait to stick it on the rock!
IMG_1838.jpg

I always wonder to what extent it inspired the Kuzma Stogi.

3.1.2.01.-stogi.jpg

Funnily enough, the STST Vertex arm I sell appears to have taken some inspiration from the Mission Mechanic which was another GB tools item.

2d5659a6cc6ab2c82bcb23c9304f85a0.jpg

Although the Mission never had a CF armtube.
mission.jpg

hmm that's interesting :)

here's some photo's after setting it up properly yesterday.
there's no 'night and day' difference over the hr100 but then i new there wouldn't be,both highly regarded arms.
the zeta feels and looks like its been very well engineered,solid looking stance and up for a fight!

the bias setting is like a breath of fresh air compared to the hr100's string and weight method,the zeta uses a small dial to adjust bias,balancing the arm in the centre of the platter small increments anti or clockwise has the arm moving to the left or to the right,try doing that with the alphason!

both arms handle the decca c4e,i have a gut feeling the zeta is better suited though being 5g heavier than the hr100.
once the longer cartridge bolts arrive i'll stick the rock paddle back on,the extra weight moves the counter weight further outwards,i might make up some heavier counter weight plates in brass to bring it closer in.

all in all im very happy with my purchase :)

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Are decca cartridges not better with unipivots? Seem to remember hadcock tonearms an excellent match.although looks like an excellent arm you have there.

I'm looking for a top end Linn geometry arm to go on my Alphason Sonata, if anyone has something suitable please PM me.

Either:
Zeta
HR100S
Mission Mechanic
Anything else that's comparable

Thanks

I've just collected Linn with a PU3 on it, not got the arm off yet I suspect its Linn geometry but a larger hole?

Certainly looks the part :D

advertisement

Back