advertisement

Revisiting the Zeta

I have managed to find a really nice, carefully used late example Linn base / Din socket) so will move my 774SM to my second LP12.

Now begins the hunt for suitable carts. I have an AT0C9/III which I don't think is an ideal match, (Higher compliance and resonance, too low on the Zeta) so that will stay on the 774SM as it sounds fine with that arm.

As a Temporary measure, I have an Ortofon MC25E, lower compliance than the AT, which from investigation, could be is a better match with the Zeta.

Wil investigate other carts later, Dynavector, Hana, Lyra? Up to £1.3K.

I would love to be able to stretch to a Koetsu RS, an ideal partner, but the Zeta is also an ideal match for the Denon 103 I gather with Deccas as used during design of the arm.
Though cheaper than I envision going for, is the 103 still good enough these days?
I have an AT PTG33ii on my Zeta and it’s great. Would be tempted by an ART9 if I had money to burn…

I would love to be able to stretch to a Koetsu RS, an ideal partner, but the Zeta is also an ideal match for the Denon 103 I gather with Deccas as used during design of the arm.

I can vouch the 103 works nicely in it. It is fine with pretty much any MC cart to be honest, I had a couple of Ortofons in it, a MC25FL, MC10 Supreme, Lyra Lydian B etc. I’ve heard Zetas with pretty high-end MCs, e.g. Ortofon MC3000, Koetsu Black etc, also Linn stuff (Karma) and it does a great job. I’d love to hear a Decca in one, that could be quite special. It is a great arm!

Ooh, nice..that’s a series 1 mechanic, with the crappy finger lift, that Mission insisted was added, so GB tools drilled a hole in the head shell for a removable finger lift…(sounds better without) and arm tube holder is crap too. Counterweight was improved later.

The Zeta however came with a tilted headsheel resulting in an azimuth error. This required shimming, which should not be the case for a tonearm that cost 400+UKP in 1985.
I had a Mechanic with the exact same defect sadly. I wonder how common this was with these arms?

I bought that Mechanic and it is in lovely condition

Any tips on getting the best from it are welcome.
Ooh, nice..that’s a series 1 mechanic, with the crappy finger lift, that Mission insisted was added, so GB tools drilled a hole in the head shell for a removable finger lift…(sounds better without) and arm tube holder is crap too. Counterweight was improved later.

I bought that Mechanic and it is in lovely condition

Any tips on getting the best from it are welcome.
That was a good deal….

I'd do the following – just the usual

Clean it ;)

Check all connections and see if the earth wire is in place in the arm tube

Bearings - no free play or rattling? arm moves smoothly? no sticking?

anti skate dial - smooth? It’s not that useful though…

get that finger lift off - its crap, the arm doesn’t need it

What turntable and cartridge will you be using ?

At the present time I am looking at putting on a Pink Triangle Anniversary with a Benz Micro Glyder SL
Nice, don’t hear much about PT anniversaries… I ran a mechanic on a voyd TT for a number of years, worked well… although both the zeta and mechanic do really make a case for use on a non suspended table…preferably with some ‘mass’ … my NA mentor really sang with a zeta/ mechanic ….

I also have a TW Acustic Raven AC if I can get an extra armboard for it

That will certainly have enough mass - its the heaviest ( Dense ) turntable I have come across

I also have a TW Acustic Raven AC if I can get an extra armboard for it

That will certainly have enough mass - its the heaviest ( Dense ) turntable I have come across
Magna Audio make lovely armboards for the Raven. Steve made me a couple for FR64 with the B60 base in brass many years ago. I think he will do them in Ebony too. Got to say, I'm very tempted to have a set made for mine again.

advertisement

Back