advertisement

Retirement

The only sensible answer to the question 'How much money will I need in retirement?' is, 'It depends'. Clearly there's a minimum below which you wouldn't even be able to pay essential bills, or afford sufficient food, but above that much will depend on how much you drink/travel/entertain or otherwise consume.

I am amazed at people dreaming about work when they are retired. Does this start when you retire? I have never dreamt about work. I do still dream about having to go back to University to finish something though!

I am amazed at people dreaming about work when they are retired. Does this start when you retire? I have never dreamt about work. I do still dream about having to go back to University to finish something though!

I never dreamed about work when I was working. The dreams are very vivid; sometimes I wake up wondering if I have actually retired, or have carried on working without being paid.

Yes, that makes sense.

My State Pension would start at 66, in 4 years. Planning on working until 64, because I like the job and there are some potentially valuable stock options maturing.

The only sensible answer to the question 'How much money will I need in retirement?' is, 'It depends'. Clearly there's a minimum below which you wouldn't even be able to pay essential bills, or afford sufficient food, but above that much will depend on how much you drink/travel/entertain or otherwise consume.
People don’t realise how expensive sloth and debauchery are.

One of the key (rhetorical) questions in my experience is how do you occupy yourself without spending too much money. I'm under 60 so don't have a bus pass and I don't drive - just a return ticket to anywhere is £5

I've no idea how people dream of, or miss work. I could walk away from it tomorrow and never give it another thought.
I loved my job at the bleeding edge of technology but the pressures got so bad that it took the fun away so I chucked in the towel at 66. I haven't missed it in the last 8 years much to my surprise.

Cheers,

DV

Is anyone here semi-retired?

You wake up, have breakfast, take a crap, shave 'n' shower, drive halfway to work then come back home?

Doesn't seem so bad.

Joe

Semi-retired?
Yea, that seems like a fair assessment of my situation. Worked for one company from 16-55. I Took my pension, but I’m still working between 1 & 4 days a week depending on how busy things are. Doing something I really enjoy & having a laugh whilst I’m at it.
The wages aren’t massive but it tops up the pension & besides, at 56, I’m too young to do naff-all & I’m sh1t at golf.

advertisement

Back