advertisement

Retirement

clifftaylor

Absolutely retired!
Having resigned from my (10 year) NHS job last December to avoid going mad, I've been looking at the options, and I must say that after 47 years of all kinds of jobs, I like the look of retirement. I have re-registered with the NHS trust I was employed by as a flexible worker (ie Zero Hours Admin Drone), but I won't need to do any of that immediately - I can survive until State Pension age (2 years), but it would help.

Anybody else retired "recently" who can give any pointers re what to do, or not?

I can’t help you with an answer but I shall follow this thread with great interest as I’m going part time in a couple of months ahead of full retirement in April 2020.

Having resigned from my (10 year) NHS job last December to avoid going mad, I've been looking at the options, and I must say that after 47 years of all kinds of jobs, I like the look of retirement. I have re-registered with the NHS trust I was employed by as a flexible worker (ie Zero Hours Admin Drone), but I won't need to do any of that immediately - I can survive until State Pension age (2 years), but it would help.

Anybody else retired "recently" who can give any pointers re what to do, or not?

I retired about four years ago and have since done an MA and am part-way through a PhD. Much better than working IMO. The only 'not' advice I'd give is to not put off retirement till you're too old/knackered to enjoy it.

I retired about four years ago and have since done an MA and am part-way through a PhD. Much better than working IMO. The only 'not' advice I'd give is to not put off retirement till you're too old/knackered to enjoy it.

I heartily agree, but that's not possible for some of us. As a 54 year old teacher (there's a confession for you) I find that the recent changes to teachers' pensions mean I can't retire until my state pension age of 67. Many of us will probably die on the job. I've no doubt - seriously - that was considered by the then government.

I heartily agree, but that's not possible for some of us. As a 54 year old teacher (there's a confession for you) I find that the recent changes to teachers' pensions mean I can't retire until my state pension age of 67. Many of us will probably die on the job. I've no doubt - seriously - that was considered by the then government.

Sorry to hear that. I was lucky enough to be born ten years earlier than you, then was offered early retirement, an offer which I grabbed with both hands.

It's the one time in my life when I genuinely wish I'd been older. Say what you will about public sector pensions, but tying the occupational retirement age of a profession like teaching (who wants clapped out late-60 somethings teaching our children) to the state pension age is an incredibly cynical and devious move.

I love retirement. No pension as such, £113 pcm from equitable life and the state basic for the self employed, around £500pcm. My son who still resides here coughs up, after a stand up fight, around £250pcm.
Fortunately my wife is younger and she retired at 60 and her pension, ex NHS, is making life affordable as she regularly informs me.

Bloss

I heartily agree, but that's not possible for some of us. As a 54 year old teacher (there's a confession for you) I find that the recent changes to teachers' pensions mean I can't retire until my state pension age of 67.

As a long retired teacher, I'd be interested to know what changes were made to teachers' pensions. When I was at the chalk face I think 40 years of service qualified you, but you could retire earlier (around 50?) on a reduced pension, if my memory serves.

yes recently retired from nhs after nearly going bonkers with stress , overwork and more stress !!! it was very hard to retire as i adore all the research and lovely patients and wonderful banter of lovely colleagues . took a long time to settle down but yesterday a hoarder was able to sleep in a bed for first time for years after weeks of clearance and decorating so thats satisfying

men do get less pension than women in nhs in some clincal roles if they retire early sadly so its a bit of a hit

I retired last year from my job after 38 years. I’m lucky enough to have a decent pension pot & I also work part time, turning a hobby/passion into a small income. I’m still “only” 55, so not quite ready to fully retire.
So fwiw, I would say find something you really enjoy, music, Hifi, photography, wine, local history, whatever. See if you can do something to add a few ££ into the pot without becoming a slave to the man again.
Lastly, enjoy it! I’ve a few friends & colleagues that have checked out way too early. Look at this as a bonus, a gift, an opportunity. After 47 years of employment you’ve earned it.

It really depends how many people are depending on your income. If it is only you, I would suggest relaxing, tightening your belt and surviving for two years. If you have dependants that may prove to be a stressful route and thus counter-productive!

I'd second that. I was fortunate to retire early on a full pension aged 57. Mrs MikeMA and I now live half the year in a hovel on a Greek island. I'm polishing up my Greek, learning Mandarin Chinese and gardening.

Sorry to hear that. I was lucky enough to be born ten years earlier than you, then was offered early retirement, an offer which I grabbed with both hands.
You vile, vile public sector thing you. With your gold plated pensions, One out - all out threats, endless sick days and diabolically low productivity. Be gone with you! ( in the voice of Jacob Rees-Mogg)

My wife and I could retire right now in the UK or holland if we lived frugally. Instead we are buying a house in Switzerland. Reading this thread makes me think we must be mad!

I retired at 50. That was 12 years ago. I did it primarily to do all the cycling things I hadn't had time to do when I was working.

I took a massive hit on my company pension but I've had a fantastic 12 years.

I no longer cycle but I'm always busy.

The best thing is getting up on a morning knowing that I can pretty much do whatever I fancy doing.

If I come back for another life I plan to retire even earlier.

I retire in 108 days and 19 hours, a year ahead of originally planned and a week short of my 59th birthday. I broke both ankles last Easter and for the first time in years I had forced inactivity with absolutely no concerns in my head other than how to get from the chair to the fridge and the kettle for about two weeks. It was a revelation. I don’t come from a long lived family and have had a substantial brush with the grim reeper in my mid forties, then some changes at work in the autumn and the death of a friend who was an internationally renowned scientist and younger than me, made me take the leap.
I am looking forward to it immensely. I just know it is the right thing to do.

I retired last year from my job after 38 years. I’m lucky enough to have a decent pension pot & I also work part time, turning a hobby/passion into a small income. I’m still “only” 55, so not quite ready to fully retire.
So fwiw, I would say find something you really enjoy, music, Hifi, photography, wine, local history, whatever. See if you can do something to add a few ££ into the pot without becoming a slave to the man again.
Lastly, enjoy it! I’ve a few friends & colleagues that have checked out way too early. Look at this as a bonus, a gift, an opportunity. After 47 years of employment you’ve earned it.

It doesn't have to be something that requires significant expenditure. Re-orienting myself away from the consumer culture is a necessity I look forward to (although I've got a way to go before retiring). One thing I'd live to do - physical health permitting - is the pilgrimage/walk from the Pyrenees to Santiago in Spain.

Been retired 10 years from age 52.
Spent the last three years travelling extensively.
Writing this from Lanzarote.
Palma next month
Valencia month after
Umbria’s in April
And all of May will be in Brittany.

advertisement

Back