1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

removing gloss paint from vinyl?

Discussion in 'music' started by paulfromcamden, Apr 11, 2012.

1. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Hmm. Any suggestions?

I have an LP with a 10mm blob of white gloss paint firmly bonded to track three :-(

2. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Can't you fingernail it off? I'd guess most things which will thin the paint will also thin the vinyl.

3. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

Thinking laterally:

Splatter more paint on it, create a Squire-esque art work, frame it and flog it for £50 and buy a new copy out of the profit?

What is the record?

Kevin

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Won't fingernail - it's well and truly stuck :-(

It's this.

[​IMG]

Great record! I think it came out of a bargain bin years ago (because of the paint splash...) - I guess I'll either have to invest in a new copy or just stick to side b!

5. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

Looks like a Dada Disk to me - remove paint loose point

for example

6. Pete the Feet

Pete the Feet pfm Member

Judging by the cover it could be one of Fox's.

7. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Paul, have you tried a sewing needle on it? You might be able to lever it off or poke it to death.
    I haven't listened to that in ages.

8. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Hi,

Soak it in white sprit to soften the paint, check that it dosn't do any thing to the record first!

Pete

9. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

White spirit won't touch vinyl. It may strip out some of the plasticisers, but that shouldn't effect SQ.

Avoid acetone or any of the cyclic solvents, though.

If you have an already knackerd disc, try doing a trial with xylene. It will be borderline, but it shouldn't effect vinyl, but it will definitely soften alkyds or emulsions.

Chris

10. pil

pil pfm Member

Yes try white spirit on an old shagged record first.

11. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

could you epoxy or superglue an anchor point to the paint and then lever it off? A small bolt-head, flat glued on, could be grabbed by pliers on the threads of the bolt. Lever sideways so it yields.

12. Pete MB&D

Then we get a thread about removing epoxy from records:D

Pete

13. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

In the case of aged alkyds, their adhesive strength to the vinyl is likely to be greater than their internal cohesive strength.
    This beinn the case, the paint spot would fail cohesively, leaving paint on the bolt head, but also still on the vinyl.

Chris

14. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

If all else fails, it's been reissued. Nice weighty flat and quiet vinyl with extras on a second disc. Not quite the same I realise, but it's a corker.

15. Linn Naim

Linn Naim pfm Member

Try neat IPA?

16. Pete MB&D

17. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

Waste of good beer :D. If it's a latex (water) based gloss, use an ammonia based cleaner (Windex in the US, not sure of a UK version). That should attack the latex but not the vinyl. If it's an oil based paint try turpentine (but use on an old scratched throw away record to check first)

18. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

A cunning plan indeed!