advertisement

removing gloss paint from vinyl?

Can't you fingernail it off? I'd guess most things which will thin the paint will also thin the vinyl.

Thinking laterally:

Splatter more paint on it, create a Squire-esque art work, frame it and flog it for £50 and buy a new copy out of the profit?

What is the record?

Kevin

Won't fingernail - it's well and truly stuck :-(

It's this.

nomeansno-%2Bwrong.jpg

Great record! I think it came out of a bargain bin years ago (because of the paint splash...) - I guess I'll either have to invest in a new copy or just stick to side b!

Paul, have you tried a sewing needle on it? You might be able to lever it off or poke it to death.
I haven't listened to that in ages.

Hi,

Soak it in white sprit to soften the paint, check that it dosn't do any thing to the record first!

Pete

Hi,

Soak it in white sprit to soften the paint, check that it dosn't do any thing to the record first!

Pete

White spirit won't touch vinyl. It may strip out some of the plasticisers, but that shouldn't effect SQ.

Avoid acetone or any of the cyclic solvents, though.

If you have an already knackerd disc, try doing a trial with xylene. It will be borderline, but it shouldn't effect vinyl, but it will definitely soften alkyds or emulsions.

Chris

could you epoxy or superglue an anchor point to the paint and then lever it off? A small bolt-head, flat glued on, could be grabbed by pliers on the threads of the bolt. Lever sideways so it yields.

could you epoxy or superglue an anchor point to the paint and then lever it off? A small bolt-head, flat glued on, could be grabbed by pliers on the threads of the bolt. Lever sideways so it yields.

In the case of aged alkyds, their adhesive strength to the vinyl is likely to be greater than their internal cohesive strength.
This beinn the case, the paint spot would fail cohesively, leaving paint on the bolt head, but also still on the vinyl.

Chris

If all else fails, it's been reissued. Nice weighty flat and quiet vinyl with extras on a second disc. Not quite the same I realise, but it's a corker.

Try neat IPA?

Waste of good beer :D. If it's a latex (water) based gloss, use an ammonia based cleaner (Windex in the US, not sure of a UK version). That should attack the latex but not the vinyl. If it's an oil based paint try turpentine (but use on an old scratched throw away record to check first)

advertisement

Back