advertisement

regulator booster

Yes. Thanks. Do you have a pic of the rear side?

I assume that the - of both caps goes to GRD. The POS of the Oscon goes to out and the POS of the tant goes to IN. The 10k resistor is between IN and OUT?

The track needs cutting between collector and emitter? The base is connected between the base, Oscon and resistor?

Rob.

Thanks Mike. I just wanted to get it right as I remember eons ago, Teddy saying that if you mess up the orientation the regulator will still work, but the effect will be lost.

Better timbral detail and dynamics. Bass seems to go deeper and sound more natural. All aspects of sound improved really, including soundstage. Let's say it's not a subtle improvement, you will notice it! :)

Well worth doing and for the pennies it costs its a great value mod.

Even adding VBE's to the 2 'non-audio' regs I mentioned earlier took it up another notch. I guess due to improved isolation.

I suppose it also depends on the application but I'd take a safe bet this mod will improve any cd player, especially around the DAC (which generally have poor PSSR).

Mike. sorry to be a pain, but where you say the GRD connection stays intact, I assume that the negs of both caps are attached to GRD?

Yes.

Refer to the first stage of the Flea schematic - the part before the reg, ignore the LED.

I take it your building some boosted regs then?

Thanks. I did in fact build a flea on perfboard a couple of years ago, but it didn't provide enough current for the application, even with the additional transistor shown as a mod.

Well, I have built a superreg. Will have to see if it works now.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
EDIT: This layout is based on using the 78** series of fixed positive voltage regulators and the BC547C transistor. For other regulators such as the 317 this layout will not work. Also, if using alternative NPN pass transistors be sure to check the pinout and orientate the transistor accordingly.

Just downloaded DIY Layout creator. Helps layout prefboard and stripboard circuits :)

So here is a better representation of how to build a positive supereg:

*Track 'b' (reading left to right), cut between the collector and the emitter of the BC547C.

*Track 'c' is the ground and stays intact.

*Track 'd' is the regulated output so remains intact.

*Track 'e' serves to connect the base of the BC547 to the "+" of the 3.3uF cap and 10k res (bend the 'base' lead of the transistor so it reaches across to the this track).

superreg.gif

Pic below shows transistor in the wrong way round. It should be as seen above.
regbooster009.jpg

Was just gonna do the same thing Mike to make it clearer, very useful bit of software isnt it.
Sam

Just downloaded DIY Layout creator. Helps layout prefboard and stripboard circuits :)

So here is a better representation of how to build a positive supereg:

*Track 'b' (reading left to right), between the collector and the emitter of the BC547C.

*Track 'c' is the ground and stays intact.

*Track 'd' is the regulated output so remains intact.

*Track 'e' serves to connect the base of the BC547 to the "+" of the 3.3uF cap and 10k res (bend the 'base' lead of the transistor so it reaches across to the 5th track).

guys - it may be a trick of the (now removed!) photograph - but that BC547 looks like it's the wrong way round - ie. you have the input to the whole board connected to the emitter - not the collector! - just to clarify, this is a standard 78xx replacement isn't it?

looking at the flat of a BC547 the orientation is CBE (L to R)

or is it my eyes!!

Pic fixed. Sorry about that
icon_redface.gif
Now I have to change the ones I just put in my CD player
icon_redface.gif

Even with the BC547 in wrong they still make a nice difference though!
icon_lol.gif

advertisement

Back