advertisement

Rega TTPSU mk.2 - Started smelling strange then died.

Rega and Paul Darwin are a credit to the industry. I had a TT PSU MK2 fail (no nasty smells), it was dealt with on the double and having not long purchased the TT PSU, was able to get it swapped for a Neo, which I’m very pleased with by all accounts.

Just a quick update.

I took it to my Rega dealer who had a look inside and contacted Rega and it's going to cost me £185 + postage to fix. Quite a few of the components are burnt/failed inside. Is this not a fault? The Rega dealer said he had never seen this before in a TTPSU. I said is it not free because it's clearly failed and he said it's over 3 years old so "no".

I have had it for five years but the first three years I never kept the unit plugged into the wall when it was off. It was only when I moved house two years ago that I kept my hifi rack plugged into the wall at all times via a multipoint (but everything switched off when not in use) and that's when I started smelling something odd. Everything else in the hifi rack connected to this multipoint is fine (Brio-R, Rega DAC, Mac Mini, External HD) so I don't think its the house wiring or the multipoint. So if I had kept it plugged into the wall from the get go it probably would have failed within the first 3 years and I could have got it replaced.

I will have to get it back off the dealer and look for a 2nd hand one either here or ebay.

At three years old that's beyond warranty, irrespective of hours on the clock. I guess that puts you at the price of looking at other options.

Any chance of pics?

You’d be as well to buy the Neo as to pay £185 plus shipping, it costs £236, obviously has a full warranty being a new product and it’s a performance upgrade. Sounds like it probably needs a new PCB given the repair quote. If you upload some detailed pics, I and others here could possibly advise on the likelihood of being able to repair it at component level.

Hi.

When I get it back I will upload some pictures. I'm just disappointed because it's obviously faulty and it could have been a fire hazard. I'm not sure why people are saying that because it's beyond three years I have to suck it up. This is off the Rega website:

Rega continues to grow and develop new products, all of which strictly follow those early Rega virtues of excellent build quality, long life and amazing value for money all backed up by a lifetime warranty against manufacture defects.

??

Well, assuming the wall wart is still alive and kicking this has to fall under manufacturing defect as it failed in typical use. Either a part went bad, manufacturing choice, or the design fails in use after X-years, bad design. Either way I think your future is looking up.

Otherwise the REGA lifetime warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Which experience says it is.

I'm sure Rega will be along soon to comment, but if you got it before 2015 you may well have protection under the Sale of Goods Act. That states you have six years after purchase to make a claim against the retailer (NOT the manufacturer). I've had real success with this in the past. 'Luxury' items (such as cars, hifi, phones etc) are effectively covered for that time against precisely this kind of fault. You may need to be a bit pushy with regard to the dealer but claiming under SOGA will work. But that assumes that Rega won't come up trumps, which I'm sure they will.

Edited to say there's no 'may' about it. If it falls under SOGA you do have protection. You just have to be insistant. I claimed for a faulty screen on a five year old iPhone - initially Apple quoted me £150 for a new screen (well a new phone actually) but I mentioned SOGA and they put me on to AppleCare who sorted it pronto, FOC. Same with my Smart Car when the steering rack went - it was a five year old car but they still had to comply and fix it.

Sounds like a retailer problem to me. The idea that Rega would charge that for an item that's only a couple hundred quid plus a few doesn't sound right. Plus, as PD has already said, if it's a manufacturer defect they will replace it. Is the Rega retailer the one you bought it from?

Hi Five,

Please send me a PM with full details of your Rega Dealer and whether we (or the distributor if you are not in the UK) have had the unit back to asses the situation or if it is maybe his (your dealers) interpretation of the issue and solution.

Either way we will sort it all out for you asap and to your satisfaction, FOC if the fault was of a manufacturing nature and not caused by some local electrical supply issue or failure.

I am a bit tied up at The Audio Show East at the moment so if my reply is a little slow please accept my apologies.

PD

Doesn’t Paul make you want to buy more are a products? Credit to Rega.
I am absolutely floored by the quality of service I see from Rega (and a few other brands) on this board. I've been bouncing between the idea of buying a Nait 2 and a Brio (same price, except the Brio is new) and I'm having trouble coming up with any sane justification for taking on the burden of a 30-year-old Nait when a brand new Rega will receive such impeccable customer service.

Hi Five,

Please send me a PM with full details of your Rega Dealer and whether we (or the distributor if you are not in the UK) have had the unit back to asses the situation or if it is maybe his (your dealers) interpretation of the issue and solution.

Either way we will sort it all out for you asap and to your satisfaction, FOC if the fault was of a manufacturing nature and not caused by some local electrical supply issue or failure.

I am a bit tied up at The Audio Show East at the moment so if my reply is a little slow please accept my apologies.

PD

Many thanks Paul!

PM sent.

Enjoy the show.

I am absolutely floored by the quality of service I see from Rega (and a few other brands) on this board. I've been bouncing between the idea of buying a Nait 2 and a Brio (same price, except the Brio is new) and I'm having trouble coming up with any sane justification for taking on the burden of a 30-year-old Nait when a brand new Rega will receive such impeccable customer service.

Very difficult to answer. The NAIT 2 is pretty bomb proof and easily serviced. The Brio is a great amp and will always be sorted by Rega. Try to listen to them both. Im currently using a rather special NAIT 2 driving Shahinian Larcs.

I'll eat my hat if this isn't sorted by Rega.

Hat or not I think we might face some issues here

1. Rega dealer network does not support alike to exact same guidelines
2. A claim here on PFM provide the expected service due to Mr Darwins presence
3. Owners face (unneccesary) worries and perhaps costly time-consuming travels

Kudos to PD but worldwide support should be more alike

Often due to the dealer not wanting to get involved as they think they might end up out of pocket or have to do some extra work with no reward. IMHO.

This was always on the cards. Rega really are the dogs bollocks when it comes to customer service, along with many other things.
Paul is always brilliant. Salute.

Don’t get me started about Arcam these days...

advertisement

Back