advertisement

Rega TTPSU mk.2 - Started smelling strange then died.

Hi Five

pfm Member
Hi.

My TTPSU mk.2 has just died. It was bought in 2013 and came with an RP6. I have tried another PS1 supply from my Rega Ear to no avail.

I think something inside may have been degrading for a while because I always smelt a funny odor near my hifi rack for over a year now (maybe longer) and the smell reminded a little of TCP and I just couldn't put my finger on where it was coming from. I thought it might have been next door as we have an adjoining wall. Lo and behold when I smelt the TTPSU just out of curiosity I'd found the source!

Hopefully a my local Rega dealer will be able to swap out the offending part and it won't be too expensive to get fixed.

I'd just bought a couple of records for a long while and I was hoping to give them a spin. Typical!

TCP smell is usually a sign of an overheating PCB (printed circuit board) and is hot phenolic resin vapour.

TCP smell is usually a sign of an overheating PCB (printed circuit board) and is hot phenolic resin vapour.
It’s actually the smell of a semiconductor burning. It’ll be a voltage regulator or one of the output devices (my money is on a voltage regulator if the unit is completely dead).

Very, very unlikely to be anything to do with the motor, if it’s been smelling for a while and suddenly failed, its probably a regulator that was either faulty and running hot or had poor coupling to a heatsink causing it to overheat. If one of the output devices fail, they will usually still power on but the deck will run erratically.

I think they have a lifetime warranty on electronics, I’d have thought they’d see the OP sorted.

PM Paul Darwin (on this forum) - he will put you in the ‘official’ picture as to what Rega can/or cannot do for you warranty wise and the subsequent cost of repair/replacement (he’s very helpful).

Thanks YNWOAN,

HiFive, could I ask that you take it and the TT to your local dealer so he can fully test the TT and replace either the TTPSU, PS1 and or motor as necessary.

If it is found that the fault is due to manufacturing defect then our warranty is clear, it (or they) will be replaced FOC to you.

Thanks all,

PD

PD, you are quite welcome. HiFive, I realise it may not be so easy to take your faulty unit to a Rega dealer but it is a very generous offer by Rega and , at least, you know that any issue will be resolved.

Had a TTPSU do that, it was a resistor that had burnt beyond recognition and scorched the board.

advertisement

Back