advertisement

Rega RP8/10 lid debate

What cartridge are you using?

Well, so far my favourite cartridge on it is an old Linn K9! Yeah, really. I'm in the process of deciding what cart to buy but I hate buying cartridges. Not much fun spending hundreds on a cart then not liking it. The K9 suits the deck so well, I'm thinking of one of ATs new expensive MM carts and the Dynavector 20x2 also looks really good.

I use a silk scarf over my P8

OooOOoooh suave ;0)

VM750SH would be on my list when the Ania wears out

It's one of the carts I'm looking at. Considering how similar the construction is to the K9 it should also work but I wouldn't mind something better. More airy in particular but I must admit, like the punch and solidity of MM carts.

My RP8 is skeletal atm, just a Michelle Unicover thing in an attempt to keep the dust off. I prefer it this way as it is easier to get level without the plinth using a specially selected £1 coin. I prefer how it looks in the plinth and cover (and so does Mrs I, it is in the living room). Can't say I can hear any difference with/without but then only listen on headphones.

Sounded great with an AT33EV, still does with a DL103R in an alu body. Didn't like the Ania much.

Sounded great with an AT33EV, still does with a DL103R in an alu body. Didn't like the Ania much.

I'm surprised the 103 works well. I thought it would prefer a heavier arm.

I've heard such mixed reviews on the Ania, more critical than complementary, that it's not even on my list. Dynavector 20x2 is the front runner I think but the top AT MM carts are still of interest. No hurry.

I'm surprised the 103 works well. I thought it would prefer a heavier arm.

I've heard such mixed reviews on the Ania, more critical than complementary, that it's not even on my list. Dynavector 20x2 is the front runner I think but the top AT MM carts are still of interest. No hurry.
Alu headshell and heavier weight add mass, 'though I'm a bit ignorant of all this and how it works but remembered reading something and thinking I'll have a dick about with it. I like it, but also did when unadulterated and original weight. Perhaps I am easily pleased. The AT33EV and PTG/II (which I have on my Funk LSD) are better but MC not MM.

In my experience having the plinth and lid actually just attracts dust to the lid when not in use, dust seems more apparent with the lid on!

I use my rp8 in skeletal form and just dust with a fluffy make up brush.

A halfway solution could be an acrylic cover to go over the skeletal deck.

A halfway solution could be an acrylic cover to go over the skeletal deck.

That's what Rega supply now. The new P10 does not have the outer plinth. It's just he skeletal deck with flat plastic cover that arches up over the arm.

That cover has a peg that locates in the plinth to stop the cover rotating but if you removed the peg it would fit the RP8 and 10 perfectly.

I cant say I love the look of the rega but could live with it if the sound was right , the first post saying lean puts me off , I suppose warm full and weighty
would be nice without muddy , the tonearm looks great and the price is ok considering others , phil.

The RP10 seems to be an odd duck. The Planar 10 is the refined, non compromised and more desirable final result.

The RP10 seems to be an odd duck. The Planar 10 is the refined, non compromised and more desirable final result.

To an extent I think that depends on what you desire. These Rega decks are more neutral and deliver more information but these things may not be your priority. You might be happy to sacrifice the last ounce of detail and gain a bit of coloration if it makes more of your records enjoyable. Technically, the P10 might be better than the RP10 but the RP10 might already be too analytical for some people and who is to say they are wrong.

It's one of the carts I'm looking at. Considering how similar the construction is to the K9 it should also work but I wouldn't mind something better. More airy in particular but I must admit, like the punch and solidity of MM carts.

I've no experience with the VM750SH, but I switched to a VM740ML on my RP8 a few weeks back, and I am supremely happy with it thus far.

Are you using spacer? And how tricky is it to fit?

How hard is it to fit a spacer? It's taking the arm off, no more no less. Undo the cable clamp and three screws.

Be aware, if you take the arm off an RP10 or RP8 the screw torque on refitting is 2N m! If you're thinking, that doesn't sound like a lot then you are right. I'm ok because I have a torque wrench that covers it but few people will so take care. Just nip those bolts up or you could damage something.

No, indeed I meant an AT cart on a Rega arm. Had dealer do before, seems not for the butter fingered. Do you tighten via hex bolt on top or with screwdriver underneath? Assuming it gets tiresome with micro movements.

advertisement

Back