advertisement

Rap & hip-hop (old people whinging about same).

what is the Hotel California of Rap then?

See if you said something sensible like where is the Sergeant Pepper of rap then that's easy, 3 Feet and Rising by De La Soul. The Eagles are hardly the pinnacle of innovation and stretching the boundaries. They are very good but not earth shattering.

See if you said something sensible like where is the Sergeant Pepper of rap then that's easy, 3 Feet and Rising by De La Soul. The Eagles are hardly the pinnacle of innovation and stretching the boundaries. They are very good but not earth shattering.

I would go further, the Eagles were one of the bands that necessitated Punk. Their AOR self indulgent swill came to a head in Hotel California, later regretably reprised in Hell Freezes Over.Rap will end up the same with a new generation laughing their tits off at it.

Like it or not Rap music has had the a greater influence on pop music throughout the world in the past 20 years than any other type of music. Its influences can be heard in Africa, South America and many parts of Asia. Its influence is pervasive and if some people on here don't like it then they are simply out of touch.

The debate is past the stage of is it good or not, it is simply here to stay. Is there anyone on here whose children prefer the Eagles to Kanye West?

I would go further, the Eagles were one of the bands that necessitated Punk. Their AOR self indulgent swill came to a head in Hotel California, later regretably reprised in Hell Freezes Over.Rap will end up the same with a new generation laughing their tits off at it.

I thought you were holding up Hotel California as some kind of wonderful achievement in your previous post.

Like it or not Rap music has had the a greater influence on pop music throughout the world in the past 20 years than any other type of music. Its influences can be heard in Africa, South America and many parts of Asia. Its influence is pervasive and if some people on here don't like it then they are simply out of touch.

It's almost always been the case that outside of the US, England, Canada and Australia, foreigners have the absolute worst taste in American music. Hence the worldwide popularity of Michael Jackson.

When I was a kid I spent many school summer hols in Notting Hill-I also grew up in Toxteth and somethings been buggin' me and that is there seems little acknowledgment of the direct link between toasting by reggae sound system MC's and rap. Toasting pre dates rap by at least 10 years.
Anyhow I did some digging and found this;http://www.jamaicans.com/music/articles_reggae/when-did-reggae-become-ra.shtml
IIRC (I.e. not googled it yet) sound clashes date back to the 50s, in Jamaica and in Jamaican immigrant communities in the US (and not long after in the UK). Sound clashes represent an origin of sorts for competing Bronx block party sound systems.

IIRC (I.e. not googled it yet) sound clashes date back to the 50s, in Jamaica and in Jamaican immigrant communities in the US (and not long after in the UK). Sound clashes represent an origin of sorts for competing Bronx block party sound systems.

..and the reggae producer's tradition of cutting an instrumental 'version' B side specifically for the purpose.

Im sitting here imagining the largely white, aging men on this thread giving out about Rap and dressed in the same inappropraite size XXXL sportswear and giving it all the hand gestures.

http://cms.dallasvintageshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/im000618.JPG

On "Front Row" last night they had an interview with Plan B who has made the move from rap (on his first album) to a more 'classic' soul style. During the interview he said that as a 40-year old, doing rap would look a bit s**t. (not quite what he said on Radio 4 but a fair approximation :D).

As a 40-something occasional listener of teh hippity-hop, I found this a useful guide to keep in your wallet:

http://www.fgia.com/images/lololololololo3hu_000.jpg

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom