advertisement

(Physically) downsized...need to pick new speakers (and maybe an amp)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just not enjoying my setup at the moment and would love to fix.

Head against the wall, external corner a foot away, speakers neither on or far from wall, small axial dimension, little to move sound out of axial into side, etc... The acoustics of the setup is poor and I would suggest performing an experiment to determine if this is the primary source of disappointment. To that end I would suggest temporarily placing the speakers along the left hand wall and experimenting with listening positions around 1/3rd and 2/3rds from the speakers. This will provide better symmetry, a longer axial direction, listening position away from a wall, and the two listening positions will have different direct/reflected sound ratios. It will of course temporarily block a door but is only a temporary experiment to help locate the problem and the extent to which it may be addressable within the room.

I vote for the dsp and/or active speaker ideas. For £2500 you could combine both and get some pretty decent genelecs (maybe 8340As?). You then have a complete system needing only sources. The downside is that if you go down that route, there isn't all that much hobby left.

I would suggest a high quality standmount speaker designed to be used in free space perhaps with a little reinforcement from the rear wall. Pull your listening seat forward a little so it's not flat back against the opposite wall giving you a near field set up.

My listening place has a similar side wall by my left ear. Sound improves 30/40% when I edge forwards. Pull your sofa away from the back wall and put some deadening material (try an old blanket to get some idea of effectiveness) behind you. 3 ft out will be fine. Now you can also move that R speaker away from the corner. They may well be fine further back so try simply reducing the size of the triangle down to say 7 all round. .If you pull the settee out, you can shift both speakers leftwards in fact. There is nothing good about placing the speakers symmetrically in the room space.
L speaker right by the window. R speaker 7 ft to the R of that. Angle the sofa a bit if you need. Try aiming the speakers at you knees when you are seated. Add the blanket. If this doesn't work then small stand mounts R U. Stick to Rega amps if you like the sound, and try to find some used Audiovector R1's.

Thanks for this. I feel like if I get much closer, I'm basically trying to listen to the RS5s in nearfield mode, and I'm just not sure they excel there. If I go for some monitors that do work as nearfield, I can pull the couch out a bit, and pull the speakers a bit forward. It seems like it would make for the best configuration in that goofy room. Maybe I should let the electronics be, at least for now, and just worry about the speakers.

You have a decent budget. Be radical & go for a pair of standmount actives & reduce the box count. This should give more control. ATC is a good starting point, may need to change pre-amp?

It would make a good starting point if ATC made active monitors. They don't (not in the commercial range that is usually under discussion).

Another vote for MiniDSP, I was very sceptical until I heard a friend's AudioNote Kit AN-Es using one as an active crossover and ordered one as soon as I got home. I have Rega Xels, which are effectively your speakers forebearer! I should mention that they also do a streaming pre-amp with all the DSP built in which I subsequently decided to order and has just landed at UK Customs. They do an integrated too, but sadly that only offers digital inputs.

Final thing I would mention, my room is an absolute pig and before the MiniDSP after extensive experimentation I ended up with a very unusual speaker placement, about six inches from the side walls and four feet from the back walls with quite a severe toe in, roughly 15 feet apart and each roughly 8 feet from the central listening position. This gives an amazing soundstage, and a bass roll off that stopped them over exciting that room. With the MiniDSP in place after some experimentation they have ended up back in that position with the MiniDSP also feeding a Rel Strata Sub, so now I have the best of all worlds, the amazing soundstage, the room no longer booming along at various frequencies around 50Hz, the sub perfectly integrated and not noticeably a separate unit except when BluRay movie effects get silly and everything near it starts vibrating! So have a good play with your positioning, even if it flies against convention, by definition convention doesn't work in unconventional spaces!

If practicalities really do dictate a move to smaller speakers the ones that spring to mind reading your description of your requirements are some of the Elac bookshelf speakers with Jet tweeter and aluminium midbass, I have heard both the wood bodied and and the aluminium bodied versions in some fairly small and awkward spaces and the spacial, bass, versatility with music and volume was all there for me. If you like the idea of actives I am told some of ADAM's monitors use a similar tweeter technology and are very highly regarded. I don't have any personal experience of them, but they might be worth looking at if you don't mind a less domestic look!

On the MiniDSP option, if you go for the 2x4HD version, it can be used as a Preamp/DAC as it has a remote control as well as a single pair of RCA inputs, as well as an Optical Digital.

I'll second the active speakers suggestion, Dynaudio & Neumann have quality speakers in your budget. For passives, Dynaudio Special 40 (or any higher Dynaudio standmount you can afford second hand), Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand. For amp, the XTZ EDGE that I use and know well. It has power to drive most speakers, the gain control is versatile and will match with any source or preamp. Modest price for what it offers and you can return it if you don't like it.

advertisement

Back