advertisement

[Photography] Raw-A-Week Mastering

Perhaps I should talk about my picture at this point?

There are a number of things I like about this picture. Firstly I really like all those lines; the picture is full of diagonals, horizontals and verticals. There is also a mixture of thick, strong lines of the station and the thin, delicate lines in the cables. I definitely want to see this aspect of the picture retained and emphasised. As Guy points out it needs straightening but if you actually try it seems to throw other verticals out (barrel distortion maybe?)

The mirrored one #6 (using Vuk's numbering) is the most obvious use of these lines and it certainly makes for an arresting image and can genuinely lay claim to showing something about the image that I could never have imagined. Overall I find the effect rather too arresting though and its hard for me not to see it as somewhat contrived.

Secondly its obviously quite an atmospheric scene with the fog. It was a cold, November morning in the North of England (Preston in fact) and I want to see that cold and fog. This makes the slightly warmed version (#1) problematic for me. Another important aspect of this is the overal slightly ethereal effect -- its actually quite a delicate picture and, again, this contrasts with the "strength" and "weight" of the station. This delicate, foggy effect absolutely has to be maintained for me since, ultimately, its a picture of a cold, foggy train station. Even if you have never been to Preston (as dreary a place as it's possible to imagine) this is something with which most of us can identify.

Related to this is the issue of contrast. It is an image with a full range of tones including some very deep blacks but it's actually, because of the fog, quite an overall low contrast effect. This low contrast is key to the foggy-ness and so some of the very aggressively curved versions I don't like at all. Such curving also blocks up the shadows too much and throws away much of the detail and an awful lot of the delicate-ness I see. I definitely want to see the texture in the platform and the brickwork as well.

Finally is the issue of colour. It's obviously quite a monochromatic image and is, I guess, why many of you converted to B&W. However, I actually like the colour and see it as a part of the image's appeal and not something to be fought against. The colours and textures in the bricks and the fence on the far side are important I think and worth preserving.

Also the red and the green on the station pillars are definitely worth keeping -- because its mostly photographed in B&W we tend to see Victorian architecture as monochromatic and dull when actually it was colourful and indee often quite lurid (no pesky laws about lead paint!). There are also echoes of these colours in the modern buildings in the background.

Of the B&W versions I like #3 the most as it preserves the "delicate-ness" I see despite losing the colour. I think this one is quite deftly done. I'm afraid I don't like the "Metal" version #2 at all and am not terribly keen on the similar but less extreme #8 and #5. The whole point of the B&W retro film look is that its essentially and Auteur thing and really the only way to do it is with film and lots of practice. Imitating it in digital always looks nostalgic or even hopelessly sentimental to me even before we think about the technical problems.

The square crop doesn't convinve me at all. #7 has a look of those how to make a car look like a toy car photos we discussed a while back (where you fiddle with focus). Consequently it's got a reall Uncanny Valley issue for me.

But I have enjoyed looking at them all and I thank you all for taking the trouble to contribute.

BTW One of those is my recent reworking of this picture which you might be able to determine from my commentary. My original version is below although I don't like this at all and think it just shows how 2 years ago I was struggling to switch from B&W to colour and how my curving was so hamfisted that I problably just hadn't calibrated my monitor properly.

65552787_03c8c8dd3d_o.jpg

matthew

i agree with most of what you say, but colour is very much at odds with the core mood of the photo and i don't think it can really be prominent, without resorting to a lot of PS trickery that would end up looking like those hand-coloured B&W pictures where a little girl has red lips. part of the issue is that the colour is mainly in the deep shadows here.

i genuinely feel #6 turns this into a masterpiece and i am truly envious it is not my photo. i feel like taking a trip somewhere that offers such scenes to play with.

perhaps since i gave everyone a hard time, i should be next to the slaughter. let me know. to whoever is next: i do have a little program that will spit out HTML formatted and numbered picture "list" such as i have posted.

vuk.

I understand what you mean about the colour can look faked and perhaps it might be desaturated a bit to avoid such a look and an unfortunate association with those tricked up desaturated photos with a bit of hand colouring.

With #6 I cannot get past the fact that it looks like an optical illusion and like if I half squint it will cause some odd animating effect with the two halves opening and closing like a book or something.

Interesting to read your take on it Matthew. I largely agree with your comments, despite the fact that you picked the wrong b&w conversion.

I do think the colour adds something to this image, particularly the way the sunlight catches the bottom of the pillars, and the banding of colours in the background from the brickwork in the mist, and desaturating it just a touch to make it even more subtle may be a good move.

What this exercise does show, I think, is that it's very easy to overdo the post-processing and lose sight of what's in the original image.

-- Ian

Well I like all the post-processed versions, although I think the one with th Gaussian blur added (#7) doesn't quite work. When I was playing with this, it occurred to me that the viewer on the day would have seen shiny green post bosses as the main feature of the nearby architecture, and tweaked the picture until they looked right first. As for how foggy it was on the day, I have no idea so probably cocked that up.

Cliff,

Well I like all the post-processed versions, although I think the one with th Gaussian blur added (#7) doesn't quite work.
#7 did not have Gaussian blur added. I experimented with diffuse glow -- with white (255,255,255) as the glow colour -- to try to make the picture a bit foggier/dreamier. (For some reason, the picture reminded me of a dream -- i.e., what your mind takes away from a scene as opposed to what's actually there.)

Like most Photoshop filters and effects, diffuse glow rarely works and in hindsight it made Matthew's nice picture worse. In my defense I did it late last night, after I had finished some work and was exhausted, when any sensible person would have gone to bed.

Ha, I found an example of diffuse glow using a scene from Buffy. Top that (that being an example of what you want to show using Buffy).

Joe

Aha, so 7 was yours then Joe. I'm still not sure which one Matthew liked in the end. He seemed to want the colour in the posts and the fog at the same time, so I thought mine should have been OK but he thought it was too warm. Oh well, next time eh?

Cliff,

I'm tempted to try again, but I guess that's not the point of this thread.

Joe

Late entry from Mystery Poster #7 who, you never know, may even pop in to say hello:

eleven.jpg

here is my potential offering (proposal) for the next pic:

ix01.jpg

if that seems reasonable, i will post a big version. or do we want something more difficult as a starting point? the potential is too obvious (to me).

vuk.

EDIT: posted at same time as late entry above, so perhaps we should consider something from mystery poster, who has done the best job in preserving delicate lines and glow/shine at the bottom of pillars. (he does realise he's toned it blue, right?)

Vuk -- For the purposes of this thread I think a picture needs to offer a fair degree of scope for different views. I think that picture might just end up with us comparing how much contrast, saturation and sharpening we added.

Then again I suppose one could say that about most pictures.

fair enough. this is what i ended up doing with it:

z_7_group_IMGP0025-01.jpg

not being rhetorical, but is the scope too narrow in your opinion relative to finished product and the possibilities it opens up?

vuk.

Hmm, I stand corrected. It would never have occured to me to do something quite that radical, athough I guess that is part of the idea of the thread.

But now you have contaminated the punters with finished version so you can;t use that one anyway :)

here is another variation on same thing.

ix01_2.jpg

[obviously, we can't use this now]

vuk.

I think Matthew should pick the one he thinks is most to his taste being the original photographer and that person should get to post the next pic.

Tony.

FWIW I think 3 would get my vote, or maybe 5 or 8...

I think Matthew should pick the one he thinks is most to his taste being the original photographer and that person should get to post the next pic.

so you're letting me escape punishment.

note: one possible flaw with the idea above is that we will be stuck in a circle of three people who keep picking one another because they share the same taste.

vuk.

That was my original idea Tony although there is the slight complication that some people might not want to contribute an image as not everyone wants to see their picture used and abused by all and sundry.

Overall I think it most important that we pick a good and interesting image that offers some scope for differing interpretations and subsequent discussions.

advertisement

Back