advertisement

Phonography

Looks like you need a polarizer.

Pete

Ha! I'd say you're right. It would have been entertaining to watch me trying to attach my 77mm polarizer onto the 2mm lens of my phone, but I guess I could have just held it in front of the thing!

One of my favourite photographers - Fay Godwin

Indeed, and very rarely exhibited for some reason. This was the first show devoted to her in 8 years, and was held in a remote gallery on a former farm outside a remote village at the far end of Cornwall - the previous one was somewhere in Wales. I was researching some Godwin photos on the web (as I often do) back in August and chanced, somewhere well down the third page, a mention of this upcoming exhibition. The gallery just happened to be in the very same village in which I had a week's break booked, at exactly the right time. Serendipity squared!

It was a terrific show - all of the photos were selected/lent by people who knew FG - family members, curators, publishers, printers and friends, each one accompanied by fascinating anecdotes. Peter Cattrell, who printed most of the photos (including 8 digital prints from scans provided by the British Library, which bulked up the original Welsh show) mentioned on his own submission (the beech trees over the lake at Stourhead) that it was taken on the then new Ilford XP C-41 stock. She apparently liked to try out new and different film stocks.

It was lovely to see original FG silver gelatin prints. Despite being an admirer going back to her heyday in the 1970s, I have seen relatively few original prints 'in the flesh', as she has been so rarely exhibited. They are, needless to say, beautiful.

Well I'll be plucked..
53320765331_60614a1398_c.jpg

advertisement

Back