advertisement

PCB for teddy's 'Regulator booster'

Righty folks....

I've been working out some prices with pcbex.

Small orders are quite expensive so the more ordered, the price drops significantly.

The most cost effective way is to have 10 pcbs on a strip and cut them yourself unless we can have them perforated.

Here's an idea of what it costs to produce

10 strips = $305 (£20.60 per strip)

20 strips = $336 (£11.35 per strip)

30 strips = $364 (£8.20 per strip)

40 strips = $391 (£6.60 per strip)

50 strips = $381 (£5.41 per strip)

60 strips = $405 (£4.57 per strip)

70 strips = $434 (£4.18 per strip)

As you can see, the price drops sharply until around 60 strips then starts to steady.

If we can get enough interest for 60 strips, it would be a very cheap pcb at less than 50p per reg.

Anthony,

Ps, cheers mike!

How about these: PNP & NPN? same package size, same pinout.

They look good Neil. Would these require any other component values to be changed do you think?

It would be nice if its possible to have a generic BOM regardless of current requirement. Of course there is the resistor - either 1K for higher current or 10K or lower power applications. And possibly the C2 cap value changes depending on current demand.

I have to admit I'm not sure how this circuit works or what dictates the component values.

Mike. Nice to see you resurrected this idea. I would be interested in some 78** strips and for LM317's if you are doing those as well. Is there a mock up for the 317?

Rob.

Mike. Nice to see you resurrected this idea.

Hu hum. Yes Mike, nice to see you resurrected the idea, drew up the initial pcb, added the reg to the back and spent nights going over different layouts and offering to do the ordering/paying/distributing?;)

Good un Mike!:D

Mike. Nice to see you resurrected this idea. I would be interested in some 78** strips and for LM317's if you are doing those as well. Is there a mock up for the 317?

Rob.

Thanks Puffin. It was quite a while ago when I initially toyed with the idea of a PCB for the Reg Booster. Ant deserves some credit for nagging me to death to finish it off then he eventually took it upon himself to re-design the whole thing, with a little help from me ;)

The reg on the back was something we discussed having seen it done on a couple of other fancy 3-pin reg replacements. That wasn't really our idea but something we copied, I thin it was Dexa and S-Power where the idea came from. The SMT was my idea as the PCB was quite tall initially, and the ground plane was my work too. I took the idea as far as that then we encountered the problem of the spacing between the mounting hole and bottom of the PCB causing a slight issue. Then Ant flipped the reg upside down and I tweaked it so that the traces were neater and all necessary vias were in place.

So I would say this as a definite team effort from Ant and I but the real credit must go the Teddy Pardo for coming up with the circuit in the first place ;)

I made a couple of tweaks the the layout...

>Changed the pass transistor to SOT-23.

>Made board a touch taller to allow space so the vias on the output trace could be removed leaving the ground plane fully intact.

>Made vias to groundplane on Caps, Header, and Reg to thermal pads for easier soldering.

Please feel from to offer advice or criticism of the layout.

regboosterpcbversion2.png

I'll do the LM317/337 versions tomorrow and post them up for all to see.

Thanks Puffin. It was quite a while ago when I initially toyed with the idea of a PCB for the Reg Booster. Ant deserves some credit for nagging me to death to finish it off then he eventually took it upon himself to re-design the whole thing, with a little help from me ;)

The reg on the back was something we discussed having seen it done on a couple of other fancy 3-pin reg replacements. That wasn't really our idea but something we copied, I thin it was Dexa and S-Power where the idea came from. The SMT was my idea as the PCB was quite tall initially, and the ground plane was my work too. I took the idea as far as that then we encountered the problem of the spacing between the mounting hole and bottom of the PCB causing a slight issue. Then Ant flipped the reg upside down and I tweaked it so that the traces were neater and all necessary vias were in place.

So I would say this as a definite team effort from Ant and I but the real credit must go the Teddy Pardo for coming up with the circuit in the first place ;)

Nice one guys. It's good when an idea comes together. Let's hope we can get enough interest to get the price low.

Looking good guys.

Can you explain from from a performance perspective the differences between
Regulator Booster
TeddyReg
SuperTeddyReg
ALWSR
PFM Flea.
I am assuming the benifit in the Booster is its compact size drop in replacment for a standard regulator, out and the best performing would be the STR and ALWSR.
Maybe I should be starting a new thread?

Tony

Looking good guys.

Can you explain from from a performance perspective the differences between
Regulator Booster
TeddyReg
SuperTeddyReg
ALWSR
PFM Flea.
I am assuming the benifit in the Booster is its compact size drop in replacment for a standard regulator, out and the best performing would be the STR and ALWSR.
Maybe I should be starting a new thread?

Tony

Hi Tony.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Other than the reg booster being a drop in mod its main advantage is that it filters supply noise before it gets into the actual regulator. Another benefit is improved noise isolation between the circuits being powered. I'm my CD player where there are local regs on every section of the circuit and the reg booster makes a big improvement. For such a simple circuit the reg booster really does work wonders. Its very cheap to make and virtually idiot proof too. Use it wherever a generic 3-pin reg is found.

advertisement

Back