advertisement

Paul Morley on classical music

Thanks for sharing the article - interesting selection of pieces.

The article itself says more about the evolution in Paul Morley's musical taste(s) than about any change in classical music's relevance. Classical music was just as relevant in the 60s and 70s as it is now; Paul Morley was simply otherwise engaged at that time.

I don't think he's saying that Classical music has changed but that the world of pop has - becoming tired and trite. Nothing new there, so why not explore the challenges presented by what once may have seemed old and irrelevant and find new relevance in it. He made it clear that it's his changing personal perception.

Of course to some all this is all old news but to others it may be a push in an interesting direction out of an apparent dead end.

Personally, I like Morley – I like his imaginative writing. He can be glibly clever but he's far more incisive and insightful than most of the other people in the Guardian, or those on Newsnight Review (when I can be bothered to watch). I understand he annoys people but that's his job. I'm far more annoyed by Andrew Graham Dixon on The Culture W*** Art Show

Isn't this article just an advert for his Sinfini "column". I'm sure I read this very article on their site a couple of years ago (or maybe someone else's, it's all the same stuff).

I would never knock anyone who sets out to introduce people to the wonderful world of classical music. We need everyone.

Keep the faith!

Isn't this article just an advert for his Sinfini "column". I'm sure I read this very article on their site a couple of years ago (or maybe someone else's, it's all the same stuff).

I would never knock anyone who sets out to introduce people to the wonderful world of classical music. We need everyone.

Keep the faith!

I don't know, but he did a show on the BBC about classical music a couple of years ago. In the show I think he took lessons in composition.

Thanks for alerting me to his column on Sinfini.

Never heard of Paul Morley. Well..... actually I have , but it was a different Paul Morley of whom the least said the better....

So. classical.. I am genuinely puzzled as to how anybody, Paul Morley, PFM members or anyone else, can get through half a lifetime as a supposed music lover without grasping that it is all just music?

FFS! I was listening to classical, jazz of many eras, folk, blues, R&B plus Pop at 12 years of age.

Jeez!

Mull

He wrote a hilarious review of the appalling Classical Brit Awards' a few years back that had me laughing like a loon. Very well observed (if a bit wordy) and a wholly appropriate take down of what is an attempt to make classical music as banal as X-factor type pop music. I'll try and find a link and post it here.

[QUOTE=Mullardman;

FFS! I was listening to classical, jazz of many eras, folk, blues, R&B plus Pop at 12 years of age.

As that

I detest Peter York as well.

And as Mullardman said earlier, I was listening to classical music from an early age, and raised my kids on a mix of Mozart, Kate Bush and On-U Sound recordings... Has he only just got his head out of his arse? I suppose this thread is more about actually being a fan of a music journalists (opinion.) I am not in that camp. I do not read newspapers either as most of it is comment/opinion. Wifelet on the other hand devours all that tripe...

Never heard of Paul Morley.

He's (to use an oxymoron) a Manc miserabilist. Used to write interminable articles in the NME about other Manc miserabilists. Often on TV retrospectives maundering on about how miserable he was in Manc in the '70s.

He's (to use an oxymoron*) a Manc miserabilist. Used to write interminable articles in the NME about other Manc miserabilists. Often on TV retrospectives maundering on about how miserable he was in Manc in the '70s.
I guess it is the lot of the ageing cultural commentator increasingly to comment on culture past.

A friend of mine said of this article (grumpily, I thought, but devastatingly) that it was a continuation of his '"fluctuations in my tastes are a leading indicator of the zeitgeist" NME-cock'

*I think that's probably a pleonasm

A friend of mine said of this article (grumpily, I thought, but devastatingly) that it was a continuation of his '"fluctuations in my tastes are a leading indicator of the zeitgeist" NME-cock'

Yep.. That's what I... in my ignorance.. thought all along.

Brilliant. I'll look that up.

I guess it is the lot of the ageing cultural commentator increasingly to comment on culture past.

Is it impossible that there exist people who's tastes do reflect the zeitgeist?

Never heard of Paul Morley. Well..... actually I have , but it was a different Paul Morley of whom the least said the better....

So. classical.. I am genuinely puzzled as to how anybody, Paul Morley, PFM members or anyone else, can get through half a lifetime as a supposed music lover without grasping that it is all just music?

Jeez!

Mull

So, if someone starts listening to classical, jazz etc at 12 years old then that is good and because of that when a person starts listening to classical music in his 50s that then becomes bad and their ideas and opinions become useless, inappropriate or ill-informed?

So, by extension, if for example, a person was found who started listening to Bartok, Stravinsky, Ornette Coleman etc in the crib then would that be more good? And if so would the previous event of someone starting to listen to classical, jazz etc at 12 become bad or mores sensibly, a lesser experience?

Also, someone doesn't like the idea of, or doesn't agree with, for whatever reasons a certain kind of music, and then later changes their mind. This is incomprehensible?

I'm just trying to get this one straight.

He's (to use an oxymoron) a Manc miserabilist. Used to write interminable articles in the NME about other Manc miserabilists. Often on TV retrospectives maundering on about how miserable he was in Manc in the '70s.

Calling a Mancurian a miserabilist is an oxymoron? A stereotype perhaps, but 'oxymoron'? If he's not miserable and known to be completely logically and impossibly not miserable, then it might be an oxymoron, but then you reinforce that he really is miserable. A bit puzzled on this one.

Blimey The Paul Morley haters are out in force. Manchester was grey and miserable in the 70s. It helped create the Joy Division sound.

Its an article I can really relate to. I heard classical music as soon as I went primary school but it didnt mean much to me

I didnt really "get" it until my mid 40s. I dont think that makes me stupid. Maybe it does! Previously I had a brief dabble but with no lasting effect.

You cant call all other music lowbrow. Put On a Mark Hollis album for example.

Then you get all these pretentious little.......saying of course I was playing Bach on the piano when I was seven :)

Calling a Mancurian a miserabilist is an oxymoron? A stereotype perhaps, but 'oxymoron'? If he's not miserable and known to be completely logically and impossibly not miserable, then it might be an oxymoron, but then you reinforce that he really is miserable. A bit puzzled on this one.

My use of 'oxymoron' was moronic. I have no excuse to offer.

Blimey The Paul Morley haters are out in force. Manchester was grey and miserable in the 70s. It helped create the Joy Division sound.

Its an article I can really relate to. I heard classical music as soon as I went primary school but it didnt mean much to me

I didnt really "get" it until my mid 40s. I dont think that makes me stupid. Maybe it does! Previously I had a brief dabble but with no lasting effect.

You cant call all pop music low brow. Put On a Mark Hollis album for example.

Then you get all these pretentious little.......saying of course I was playing Bach on the piano when I was seven :)

Mark Hollis isn't pop music, it's MODERN classical music :)

advertisement

Back