advertisement

Paul Morley on classical music

matthewr

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld
PS I am going to see a Donizetti opera next week. I think this is the Opera equivalent of One Direction :)

Thanks for sharing the article - interesting selection of pieces.

The article itself says more about the evolution in Paul Morley's musical taste(s) than about any change in classical music's relevance. Classical music was just as relevant in the 60s and 70s as it is now; Paul Morley was simply otherwise engaged at that time.

Read through the article and I'm like oh my gosh, yet another I've seen the light column, and then I worked my through all of the comments and the piece was put into context.

Paul Morley is waving the white flag. Surrender. For someone who for so many years has been anti-establishment he is now - and I quote the first comment "older and bored."

Perhaps he is in the market for a new gig, to start reviewing and commenting on classical music as a new voice and a breath of fresh air.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how he follows this up. Curious to see what ad if the Guardian does with this. Perhaps this is their way of introducing Paul in a new light. Time will tell.

Paul Morley as always been a fart in my opinion. Group with Danny Baker and and put them against the wall.

One of Britain's greatest stand-up comics IMO. 'It's being so cheerful that's keeps me going' was his best-known catchphrase.

I have been a great classical and opera fan for years before Morley discovered it.
I will continue regardless.

I'm listening to Morley's choices at the minute. Like him I feel I need a change of direction. I have been putting off getting into classical for a long time probably for similar reasons to him and trying to hang on to some vestige of youthfulness.

PsB has called it right.

The article itself says more about the evolution in Paul Morley's musical taste(s) than about any change in classical music's relevance. Classical music was just as relevant in the 60s and 70s as it is now; Paul Morley was simply otherwise engaged at that time.

Danny Baker has always been an annoying turd.

Morley has always been a mixed bag but I liked his choices here. Especially the Mozart and the Berg.

He's right you know. It took me 50 years to really get into classical music.

I was thinking about this subject the other day in relation to pop music now aimed at a young audience. I just cant see most pop music standing the test of time. Taylor Swift and One Direction just sound like fast food garbage to me.

I do however think that Joy Division and other well chosen artists will stand the true test of time.

Something Like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is a timeless and beautiful. The question is why has it taken me so long to really get into Mozart and the other great composers? My primary school headmaster used to play classical music but most of us just thought it was boring stuff for old timers.

I like Paul Morley. He was at the Ian Curtis funeral and I have always thought he is talented writer. He did very well from the ZTT record label productions

Let's hope that this new-found interest in classical music will keep laughing boy's ugly miserable Manc mug off future retrospective TV programmes about the '70s, '80s and '90s.

That depends if you think adopting a self satisfied, smug posture and a general air of know it all is a talent.

Paul 'Jowly' is not half as irritating as Danny Baker, who in turn is not half as irritating as the most irritating, opinionated, smug, would eat himself if he were made of chocolate, presenter in the world; Mark Kermode

As a driving force behind ZTT Morley also created some interesting stuff too, which is far more than many of his critics.

Morley is a high quality cultural commentator in my view. Love Danny baker too. They both love music, know a lot about it and are cultural activists.

advertisement

Back