advertisement

P&O Ferries Scandal

I feel your pain my friend.

There are so many angles to this.

Thatcher started by crushing trade unions and weakening workers rights. She also pushed the nonsense of -there is no such thing as society, just individual men and women-
The Darwinian type capitalism that we are currently enduring is a symptom of such an ideology.

For me, evidence that the above is a regressive and harmful (for workers not employers) approach can be seen with our Scandinavian neighbours, who enjoy a better quality of life because they pursue the 3rd way.
High wages, high taxes, high quality public services & transport, high quality education.

However their car industry was / is declining, the scandinavian industries in general do well. They are leading in telecom and energy.

Apparently Grunt Shyttes, or whatever his name is today, is proposing legislation to force shipowners to pay at least UK minimum wage. I'm sure most businesses will see that as a reason to cut towards that level so, thanks for nothing. Meanwhile P&O refuse to re-instate staff. I guess the only reason it's news is Hebblethwaite hasn't given a big enough donation to "party" funds.

JfCrNO8.jpg

Apparently Grunt Shyttes, or whatever his name is today, is proposing legislation to force shipowners to pay at least UK minimum wage. I'm sure most businesses will see that as a reason to cut towards that level so, thanks for nothing. Meanwhile P&O refuse to re-instate staff. I guess the only reason it's news is Hebblethwaite hasn't given a big enough donation to "party" funds.
That is what levelling up means to a Tory, levelling up to the minimum

P&O Ferries is not the first in UK waters to hire low-cost workers
The government has long turned a blind eye to widespread pay abuses by operators working out of UK ports

"Back in 2014, the late Bob Crow, then RMT union leader, decried the “super-exploitation of foreign nationals in the British shipping industry… a massive scandal that the political elite want to keep quiet”. The union launched protests over Condor Ferries, which sails from Portsmouth and Poole to the Channel Islands crewed from agencies abroad, which it says pay as little £2.40 an hour. (Condor did not respond to requests for comment.)

In 2017, inspections of multiple vessels from different operators working out of UK ports by the International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) confirmed that paying below minimum wage was widespread."

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ies-not-first-uk-waters-hire-low-cost-workers

advertisement

Back